ILLINOIS road game

Mark in Indy

Reaction score
Living in Indy Illinois is the easy trip for me this year. I will be going over with 2 buddies with no vested interest. One is a Auburn guy and the other wears the maize and blue. Regardless, they will be on team Minnesota for that weekend. Just got tickets in the first row of the corner of the closed end after debating where to sit for the last few weeks. I have not been to Illinois for a Gopher game since 2001, and as I recall I slept through the second half after a difficult night out. I do know the night before was spent at the Red Lion but other than that looking for who else might be making the trip and if there will be an organized party the night before or dedicated tailgate. One of my buddies is bringing his Taj Mahal of a camper so lodging is locked in. Everything else will be Uber. So, I apologize if there is a normal road game process, I have not had the opportunity to see the Goph's live in way too long. Any help appreciated and more than willing to take advice for a great weekend for Illinois homecoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be making the trip with my wife. My sister in law and brother in law will be coming from Bloomington. I think the plan is to spend Friday in Chicago, then Saturday in Champaign Urbana, Ill. I will check to see if the Goal Line Club has anything planned for this road trip. Scratch that. I don't see anything.

http://goallineclub.com

Maybe Creative Charters group will be meeting somewhere?

http://www.creativecharter.com/gopher_packages/football_trips.htm

We are planning on making the trek and spending Friday and Saturday in Chicago. Should be fun.

Supposedly my kid got tix for this game for my birthday..still waiting to see if he actually did. We live in indy, would b nice to see to Gophers.

Supposedly my kid got tix for this game for my birthday..still waiting to see if he actually did. We live in indy, would b nice to see to Gophers.

My three first row seats on StubHub were $111 after fees. Plenty of seats under $10. Hopefully you make the trip but with you in Indy certainly would be up for meeting sometime to catch a game. I live at 146th and River Road.

I'm headed over from Indy as well. Meeting a couple people there. We should have a Gophers watch party sometime, people! Anyway, I went to Illinois two years ago. There was a designated Gopher bar for pregame, although I can't remember which one. Hopefully it'll come up again that week. Atmosphere was dead and lifeless...and so was MN. Hope this time is different!

We bought 4 tickets in 110 for $58. Haven't been to Illinois since 2003. It was a cold and rainy day in which we crushed them. Looking forward to it.

Probably one of the best travel crowds i've seen in some time in Maryland, looking forward to Illinois in 2 weeks. Keep us posted on the pre-game/but maybe even better post-game bar. Lonney's in Maryland was blast.

We are heading down for the game again this year - we were there 2 years ago and had a great time! I would highly recommend checking out Firehaus. Legends is another good option.

We are heading down for the game again this year - we were there 2 years ago and had a great time! I would highly recommend checking out Firehaus. Legends is another good option.

Firehaus! That's where the Gopher gathering was 2 years ago. Get there early -- it was packed with Gopher fans!

I have been there twice and had a great time. I am not sure I am going this year but would love to see Grange Grove. The front part of the stadium was renovated where the statue of Red Grange is located. The plaza looks stunning. I never stayed in Champaign but stayed in downtown Chicago. Champaign didn't do much for me kind of like going to Mankato but the fans were great as well as the campus. The thing you really notice is how flat it is. You are really out in the middle of a cornfield more so than if you were in Iowa.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went there in 2013 (I think) and had a great time. Cool WWI Memorial Stadium. Great and expansive tailgating outside the stadium. Illinois fans are really a good bunch. The only minor downside is that Champaign seemed old and tired but have seen much worse.

Although we did it as a same day fly / fly out, I would highly recommend the trip.

Well i hope to make the game. Should i be worried that i havent seen any tickets show up at my door? I told my kid if my tickets for the Gophers dont show up...he wont get the 12 Nov IU vs Penn State tickets i got last week. I will just give them away to someone else. Hope to see all at the game. Go Gophers. And as far as meeting up to watch a game somehow here in Indy, that sounds better than watching with my kid and listening to how great Alabama is.

Well i hope to make the game. Should i be worried that i havent seen any tickets show up at my door? I told my kid if my tickets for the Gophers dont show up...he wont get the 12 Nov IU vs Penn State tickets i got last week. I will just give them away to someone else. Hope to see all at the game. Go Gophers. And as far as meeting up to watch a game somehow here in Indy, that sounds better than watching with my kid and listening to how great Alabama is.

A group of six of us went to the Maryland game. Flight left at 7 a.m. on Thursday; our tickets were in the mailbox on Tuesday afternoon. That's cutting it a little too close, if you ask me. But hey -- we got 'em.

Does anyone know where the visiting seats are for those folks that bought through the Gopher ticket office? Just wondering how far we will be from other Gopher fans. I will be in sec 122 so back corner of the home side endzone but row 1.

Not sure where the official Gopher section is, but I just bought 3 tickets in 109 for $12 each. Probably overpaid lol. 2 years ago it was absolutely empty and became basically open seating once u got in.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Does anyone know where the visiting seats are for those folks that bought through the Gopher ticket office? Just wondering how far we will be from other Gopher fans. I will be in sec 122 so back corner of the home side endzone but row 1.

I believe the sections are 109, 208,209 IIRC We will be in 209.

We bought through the Gopher ticket office, and our seats are in 209.

Can get tickets for $6 each on stub hub

I just bought my tickets in section 102 row 7 for $11 each!

209 for ours from the Gopher Ticket Office. Looking forward to locking in a bowl with everyone!

Looks like the BTN tailgate show is live along with the band Parmalee from the Grange Grove. Should be a great Saturday morning.

Looks like the BTN tailgate show is live along with the band Parmalee from the Grange Grove. Should be a great Saturday morning.

That is where I plan on tailgating. The kid might get a kick out of the BTN show being there. Thanks for the info.

I hope others didn't make the same mistake that I did around this road trip. I waited to book a room in Chicago for the weekend and because of those pesky Cubs, hotel prices are now through the roof.

I hope others didn't make the same mistake that I did around this road trip. I waited to book a room in Chicago for the weekend and because of those pesky Cubs, hotel prices are now through the roof.

Those prices are ridiculous. If you haven't done the drive before there is nothing between Champaign and Chicago. Nothing!!!! There could be road construction however.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those prices are ridiculous. If you haven't done the drive before there is nothing between Champaign and Chicago. Nothing!!!! There could be road construction however.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Will have to do this trip another year. Going to have to settle for watching the Gophers pry the Axe from the grimy badger paws this year.
For those making the trip: Enjoy! Looks like the weather will be terrific.

A group of 10 of us are heading down there this year.

Our group last went to Champaign in 2010 and watched the Gophers & Jeff Horton win a game. Was a fun atmosphere, but not a lot of fans there despite the Illini being bowl eligible so you could pretty much sit anywhere, a bunch of Gopher fans ended up in 109.

I echo visiting Legends and Firehaus. Cool atmosphere at both and decent food at Legends.

We are planning on tailgating in one of the research parking lots between St. Mary's Rd & Hazelwood Drive and then heading down to Grange Grove closer to game time:
2016-football-parkingmap.jpeg

Grange Grove is a nice addition. It used to be a parking lot for big money donors. I grew up in Minnesota and root for the Gophers except when they play Illinois. My son plays for the Fighting Illini.

Ok looks like my kid got the tix section 105. We will make the trip for the game. Where is everyone parking n will there b any open spaces....tailgating, what time to arrive? My kid is torn about the game. Is going for Minny cuz dad is from there, but he played w Jeff George Jr back up QB for illini at Warren Central when we won 6A title over Carmel.hope to meet some indy minnesota ppl n have a good time

Top Bottom