PiPress: Gophers’ Richard Pitino: ‘Quiet optimism about where we’re headed’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

“Listen, we’ve been beaten up on our record, and deservedly so,” he said. “But internally, we all know when you look at last year’s record that there could have been a lot of games that could have gone our way. We were getting close.

“We understand that it’s part of it when you have a tough season, that you’re going to get criticized, but I think everyone internally has a lot of quiet optimism about where we’re headed.”

Leading scorer Nate Mason, 13.8 points and 4.5 assists a game, is back; and Pitino has added the state’s top two incoming freshmen and a junior transfer, 6-foot-10 center Reggie Lynch.

Freshmen Amir Coffey, a four-star guard from Hopkins, and Michael Hurt, a three-star forward from Rochester, Minn., headlined the Gophers’ recruiting class and could make contributions early.

“I think Michael Hurt has got a work ethic that’s second to none. He lives in the gym,” Pitino said. “I think he’s still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of how we’re doing things, but when he gets that, he’s going to be a very valuable player for us. … I think Amir Coffey has a chance to be one of the best freshmen in the conference. He’s got size, versatility, passes the ball great.

“You don’t know how the season will treat them. Hopefully they stay patient and positive, but I’m very excited about where they’re headed right now.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/14/gophers-richard-pitino-quiet-optimism-about-where-were-headed/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom