Reusse: Misfits Rutgers, Maryland are so wrong for the Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Penn State brought a geographical challenge but also football pizazz to the Big Ten when it arrived in 1993. Nebraska was a fantastic addition in 2011 with its tremendous all-around sports program (men’s basketball being the exception).

Maryland and Rutgers? We don’t care about Maryland, it doesn’t care about us, and nobody cares about Rutgers.

The Gophers have a better rivalry with the University of Pacific (1-1) than Maryland and Rutgers combined, and Pacific officially stopped playing football in 1995. Meanwhile, Rutgers officially stopped playing football last Saturday, when it compiled 39 yards in a 78-0 loss to Michigan.

You wanted expansion in the Big Ten? Commissioner Jim Delany should have waited for Texas to tire of the doomed Big 12, rather than add two non-entities on the East Coast.

The Big Ten probably will wind up with Texas and a partner in the next five years, but that will just make Maryland and Rutgers more cumbersome and meaningless on the conference map.

http://www.startribune.com/rutgers-maryland-so-wrong-for-big-ten/397160601/

Go Gophers!!

I've always felt this way and always will. This was the Roman Empire expanding for the sake of expanding.

Not to mention Penn St. Shouldn't be in B10. Missouri, Notre Dame are a couple that should be in.

Not to mention Penn St. Shouldn't be in B10. Missouri, Notre Dame are a couple that should be in.

Absolutely correct. Kick out Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State. I suppose we would need one other team to join or kick out Nebraska. I am actually ok with Nebraska in the conference, so I'd probably add a school like Louisville.

The Big Ten doesn't need a school like Texas. It would look great on paper, but Texas would try to control everything and assert dominance. The Big Ten doesn't need that kind of headache.

Except this was 2 years ago, and it's time to get over it and accept that they are in the B1G.

Except this was 2 years ago, and it's time to get over it and accept that they are in the B1G.

+1. Water under the bridge. The B1G is never going to kick anyone out, so move on already.

I won't be happy until we pare this conference back down to the original 7 teams.

I still find it odd that there are people who haven't accepted Penn State yet. I have a degree from the U and Penn State has been a member of the Big Ten for my entire life.

I won't be happy until we pare this conference back down to the original 7 teams.

I still find it odd that there are people who haven't accepted Penn State yet. I have a degree from the U and Penn State has been a member of the Big Ten for my entire life.

Bring back the University of Chicago! My dad's constant mantra when things were going badly for high exposure sports was, "We should just go the way of the University of Chicago if we don't want to compete."

Top Bottom