Minnesota Defeats USA Under 18: 9-0

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Rem Pitlick delivered a hat trick. For his last goal he split two defenders at center ice, outraced them into the zone and fired a rocket over the goalies shoulder. Brent Gates went off the ice limping in the first period (he claimed to have been slashed on the knee) but returned to net two. Pitlick played with Lettieri and Bristedt.

Minnesota played three with Lehr taking the second period and Kautz the third. One question, the Under 18 club entered and exited the ice from the Zamboni gate. Is this the new route (perhaps because of the locker room remodel) or just a special circumstance?

Here's a few thoughts after watching the game...

After scoring 12 times last weekend in Alaska, the Gophers exploded for nine more in their 9-0 exhibition victory over the USA U-18 team. Granted, it was an exhibition against younger opponents, but the offensive display was impressive, especially considering no upper class forwards scored for Minnesota.

What I Saw

It was my first time watching this year’s team, so I always try to focus on the freshmen/transfers. Rem Pitlick exceed my lofty expectations, scoring a hat trick and adding an assist. After leading the USHL in goals and assists last season, you can really see why. They kid can skate, and, more importantly, is an absolute sniper. His last goal came on the rush where he beat the defender to the puck and rocketed a slapper into the upper corner. A true goal-scorers goal that you don’t see too often.

“He’s a dynamic offensive player,” said Don Lucia of Pitlick. “That third goal, that was the explosiveness as a skater. He’s one of those guys that can beat a goalie from 30, 40 feet out.”

The U-18’s are home to two future Gophers in center Scotty Reedy and defenseman Nate Knoepke. In a game where they lost 9-0, it was tough to find bright spots on the team. You could see Reedy’s skill on a few plays where he had a couple decent looks. He only recorded one shot which isn’t exactly what you’re looking for from one of your top incoming recruits. Knoepke was -2 on the night, but I didn’t notice any glaring mistakes. He’s got great size at 6-3, and skates pretty well, too. It’ll be interested to see how these two progress this season.

Lucia mentioned it after the game, but it was important to see some new faces contribute. Jack Ramsey and Darian Romanko both scored their first (albeit unofficial) goals in Maroon and Gold, and Brent Gates added two scores of his own. All three spent much of the year on the fourth line last season, so it’d be nice to have increased production from those three.

“It’s been noticeable; the difference in Romanko, the difference in Ramsey, and the difference in Gates, all three of those sophomores from the get-go in practice, they’ve elevated their game,” said Lucia.

By The Numbers

15 Penalties combined for both teams. The Gophers ended up 2/7 on the powerplay and were (obviously) perfect in six penalty kills.

+5 For No. 5, freshman d-man Ryan Lindgren. Even in a 9-0 game, it’s impressive he was on the ice for 5 of Minnesota’s 7 even strength goals.

4 Points AND penalty minutes for Rem Pitlick. Three goals and an assist to go with two minor penalties. Kid was filling up the stat sheet.

What’s Next

Let’s hope the Gophers can take this confidence into the next game where they meet St. Cloud State on October 21. Minnesota kicks off the series at home at 8pm, and finishes at SCSU on Saturday with a 7pm start. Both games can be seen on FSN+.

One other item: Ryan Collins seemed in mid-season form with a number of bumping, post-whistle, dust-ups.

Top Bottom