Nigel Hayes: “We’re not student athletes. We’re here to play sports."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

“We’re not student athletes. We’re here to play sports. Some of us are missing class to be here right now. In some respect they’re making money off us right now. [Wisconsin] just changed to Under Armour, who just gave us a couple 100 million dollars. I’m sure that’s not enough to pay us for our playing because that’s not enough money.”

http://www.startribune.com/hear-tha...id-at-big-ten-basketball-media-day/397034241/

Go Gophers!!

He has a point. Nigel, I think you should probably sit the season out in protest!

He has a point. Nigel, I think you should probably sit the season out in protest!

Here, here.

I'm getting moderately irked by all these calls for college athletes to get paid based on and because of the revenue they bring in. I'm all for compensating them for their time practicing and playing using work-study pay rates, but let's not go pro here. These aren't business enterprises; they're non-profit universities.

That 'nonprofit universities' line is quite comical.

If they are truly good non-profit causes, they need to start making the salaries and expenses align with that and have a much more cost-conscious operation. If they are about making money and marketing the product (they are) then they can share the wealth.

Someone's getting rich off of NCAA sports, it's not the kids, you might argue it's not the universities.... Who is then?

That 'nonprofit universities' line is quite comical.

If they are truly good non-profit causes, they need to start making the salaries and expenses align with that and have a much more cost-conscious operation. If they are about making money and marketing the product (they are) then they can share the wealth.

Someone's getting rich off of NCAA sports, it's not the kids, you might argue it's not the universities.... Who is then?

Coaches.

I think Professors on up are all doing pretty well too.

The professors? Really? Unless they have brought in huge research grants within specific departments, which is a select few, professors are not getting rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if these kids want to get paid out of high school, they have the option to head overseas. with the globalization of today's NBA landscape, it's been proven that top talent will get recognized regardless of geographic location.

i have no sympathy for the kids that chose, on their own free will, to have earned a scholarship and receive a free education. especially someone like Nigel that could have been drafted but chose to return to school.

...and the TV networks. But is there really anything wrong with that?

Yes I think there is something severely wrong with the idea of media outlets getting rich off of what we are claiming is a nonprofit(it's not) amateur(it's not) sport. There are almost 0 other instances where this kind of money is changing hands and the people that are doing the job are getting this disproportionate of a share of the pie.

Now recently I think they've drastically improved the balance where at a minimum they are starting to remove some of the obscene restrictions on what they will give to a player and what a player cannot do.

I think the arguments about the other 99% don't generate money is exactly why we need to treat the other 1% differently. They game has changed since the inception of the NCAA, it needs to CONTINUE changing with it.

if these kids want to get paid out of high school, they have the option to head overseas. with the globalization of today's NBA landscape, it's been proven that top talent will get recognized regardless of geographic location.

i have no sympathy for the kids that chose, on their own free will, to have earned a scholarship and receive a free education. especially someone like Nigel that could have been drafted but chose to return to school.

Pretty tough to pursue the real education of your choice (not preselected bunny courses to keep you eligible), assuming that you are academically prepared in the first place, when you already have a physically demanding full time job for half of the year. The job drops down to about half time the other six months of the year.

Here, here.

I'm getting moderately irked by all these calls for college athletes to get paid based on and because of the revenue they bring in. I'm all for compensating them for their time practicing and playing using work-study pay rates, but let's not go pro here. These aren't business enterprises; they're non-profit universities.

For college sports to no longer be pro sports it will take a lot of reversing backwards. Coach salaries, facilities, ticket prices, recruiting, everything. NCAA is a business. It's a pro sport. And instead of paying the players they are paying themselves and letting Rowers have free schooling. Nigel Hayes "salary" is going to random swimmer X getting a free education and that's not capitalism and I'd argue it's not fair.

Now, I tend to be more on the side of kids need to take action then. It's on them. Go play in NBDL, boycott NCAA tourney games, go play overseas, etc. as long as kids value the schools and tradition more than they do getting paid, it won't change.

I think they do deserve to be paid, but as long as they are complacent in the system it won't change.

I really respect Hayes and he's been a really productive player, but as a Gopher fan I hope he continues to spend a lot of his time/energy on stuff that has nothing to do with the Badgers' 2016-17 season. Would help our cause if his mind is elsewhere, like Cain Kolter's was at Northwestern when his actions helped sabotage what was supposed to be a good football season for the Wildcats.

Tough to argue that they don't deserve something more than they're getting but how do you decide who gets paid and who doesn't? Does the guy on the bench waiving a towel for Eastern New Mexico State deserve as much as the starting point guard at Duke? Not to mention that if you start paying some athletes all the members of all the other athletic teams are going to want to get paid too. How much should the back up goalie on a woman's lacrosse team make? It's a giant headache that will more than likely never go away.

Tough to argue that they don't deserve something more than they're getting but how do you decide who gets paid and who doesn't? Does the guy on the bench waiving a towel for Eastern New Mexico State deserve as much as the starting point guard at Duke? Not to mention that if you start paying some athletes all the members of all the other athletic teams are going to want to get paid too. How much should the back up goalie on a woman's lacrosse team make? It's a giant headache that will more than likely never go away.

It's a great point on who within basketball get paid, but I'd say the lacrosse team is just out of luck. The NCAA is in this awkward spot where major sports have become a business and non major ones are amateurism. They're using profits from the business to keep amateurism afloat. If you start paying basketball players as I think you should, is there enough money for lacrosse or rowing or whatever? And if there isn't, does that matter? Can lacrosse survive on lacrosse specific donations? How is title 9 affected, sports without a market to generate revenues for players?

IMO, the NCAA model for pro sports has to go. Colleges can just field pro teams. Everything goes on as normal except the major sports division operates financially separate from the school, as a separate entity. It gets tough as school research is often funded by athletics as well, but that's the cost of the NCAA making its business professional under the guise of amateurism. The alternative is to go all the way back to making basketball an amateur sport, $2 game tickets, no $500m facilities, no multi million dollar coaches, no corporate sponsors, etc. then you can call it amateurism, but then the money still isn't there for the school.

Nigel needs to talk to D'Angelo Barksdale.

Lay off him guys. He is the victim.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At a school like Minnesota it is the non revenue sport athletes that make out like a bandit, both men and women. If you want to get rid of the corruption and misuse that is happening an evaluation of these sports must be done, maybe you take away all scholarships in these sports, maybe they all become club sports, if it was run like a business these would be long gone.

If you have the argument that to be a first class university you need these sports, then take the funding out of the general fund.

I thought young college kids wanted everyone treated equally? They're getting just that. The rich (football) pay for the poor (tennis, etc.). Isn't that what the whole Bernie phenomenon was all about?

Couldn't have predicted this reaction.

Can't stand the attitude. There are thousands of D3 athletes that don't get a fraction of the benefits as Hayes, and are paying their way through school. The money big time programs generate provides the extravagant dormitories and amenities, lavish training tables, travel, medical care, etc. and it manages to fund opportunities for thousands of non-revenue athletes (as it should). One could make a good argument against excessive coaching salaries in the marquee sports, but it's ridiculous to talk of paying FB & BB players just because TV is willing to pay the university to televise their sport. Hayes: if you want the money then go pro. The D league is waiting for you.

Can't stand the attitude. There are thousands of D3 athletes that don't get a fraction of the benefits as Hayes, and are paying their way through school. The money big time programs generate provides the extravagant dormitories and amenities, lavish training tables, travel, medical care, etc. and it manages to fund opportunities for thousands of non-revenue athletes (as it should). One could make a good argument against excessive coaching salaries in the marquee sports, but it's ridiculous to talk of paying FB & BB players just because TV is willing to pay the university to televise their sport. Hayes: if you want the money then go pro. The D league is waiting for you.

Yeah, I agree. In this day in age of the rising cost to attend college and many students graduating with loads of debt, this comes across as whiny. Hayes is recieving free tuition, free room and board, free meals, a cost of attendance stipend, a clothing stipend, lots of free gear, top notch training and medical care. There are also other funds, the university has available to them, to pay for miscellaneous expenses student athletes may incur. All in all, the total compensation package for someone like Hayes is likely a lot larger than the 160k over 4 years he posted on twitter.

Not to mention the visibility a guy like Hayes gets. Lets say his pro career flops after a few years. I'm willing to bet some Wisconsin Fan who owns a business, would be more than happy to give Hayes a nice cushy job.

How about they got paid in cash instead of a scholarship, but then had to pay tuition, rent, food, books like everyone else?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You don't have to agree with Nigel, but at least use relevant counter arguments.

Seriously. D3 has nothing to do with this.

D3 plays the same game, puts in virtually the same time and effort, they have everything in common with Hayes except talent level and all of the benefits mentioned already. Just because TV funds the athletic department for televising his sport doesn't mean he can choose to classify himself as not a student athlete. My response to Nigel is fine, you're not eligible to play for a university if you're not a student. Move on to "play for pay." 95% of kids that think that's where they belong find they had it pretty good as a student. Very few make the NBA, and the D leauge and playing overseas have quite a bit of downside for the compensation they offer.

Top Bottom