Nigel Hayes: “We’re not student athletes. We’re here to play sports."

The only way that has relevance is if someone is arguing the scholarship and schooling is worthless, which I've never read by anyone on this subject.

While Hayes didn't say that specifically, he did say that they are here to play sports, not be a student athlete. I take that as meaning he doesn't really care about the education part.

While Hayes didn't say that specifically, he did say that they are here to play sports, not be a student athlete. I take that as meaning he doesn't really care about the education part.

Which means he should stop crying about it and should have left for a Pro league at the end of last year.

Which means he should stop crying about it and should have left for a Pro league at the end of last year.

Holy ****. You guys are completely missing the point.

He was speaking not only about not having money but also about being told he's a student-athlete and they pull him out of his student responsibilties so frequently.

It's hypocrisy at the highest levels.

article said:
“We’re not student athletes. We’re here to play sports. Some of us are missing class to be here right now. In some respect they’re making money off us right now. [Wisconsin] just changed to Under Armour, who just gave us a couple 100 million dollars. I’m sure that’s not enough to pay us for our playing because that’s not enough money.”

Here, here.

I'm getting moderately irked by all these calls for college athletes to get paid based on and because of the revenue they bring in. I'm all for compensating them for their time practicing and playing using work-study pay rates, but let's not go pro here. These aren't business enterprises; they're non-profit universities.

LOL!!!!!!
Just because it's called endowment money and not profit doesn't mean it's not the same thing.

(I'm sure this has been covered but I finally saw this thread and i don't have time to read the rest/don't want to read the rest)

Holy ****. You guys are completely missing the point.

He was speaking not only about not having money but also about being told he's a student-athlete and they pull him out of his student responsibilties so frequently.

It's hypocrisy at the highest levels.

My apologies for not understand what he said.

I still don't really understand the point though. Because he misses classes, that means he is no longer able to be a student? Does he not go to class when he isn't on the road? He still able to get a quality education if he wants to.

The term "student athlete" has both student and athlete in it. How is it hypocritical if he is both of those things?

LOL!

What a brainless comment. Kaler will gladly take back your degree and keep your tuition. You don't deserve either.

Didn't go to the u of m.

However, do you really think a true capitalist system would allow college athletes to dominate the revenue?

Even at the pro level the owners take a large portion of it.
To say that a capitalist system would give most of this money to the players is naive. A true capitalist system would mean all parties involved would look out for their self interest. In college athletics...for the most part the prices are being paid for the logo and the university name, not for the individual.

Are Indiana and Minnesota fans going to watch the names on the back or the front?
I'd argue front. And I'd argue that means the employer would hold more leverage than the employee even if athletes could get paid.

If you think it is the other way around, you should start a minor league football league and make millions.

Top Bottom