STrib: Gophers trying to develop depth at point guard

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers discovered just how valuable the point guard can be when they had to play without one in the final four games last season.

When Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer and Kevin Dorsey were suspended for violating team rules that left no scholarship point guards to run the team.

Since Dorsey transferred in the offseason, the challenge for Gophers coach Richard Pitino this fall has been to develop another floor leader. Eventually, Pitino’s hope is to have multiple players on the floor at the same time who can handle the ball and put pressure on defenses.

“We don’t necessarily have a backup point guard,” Pitino said. “So I’ve been playing Dupree a lot at the point. But I’ve looked at some lineups with Amir [Coffey], Nate and Dupree. I think we’re really, really hard to guard.”

Mason, a second-year starter as a junior, said Thursday at Big Ten media day that he’s mentoring McBrayer, a sophomore, and Coffey, a freshman, to be point guards at times if needed.

“Dupree is becoming a point guard steadily,” Mason said. “Amir has good qualities to be a point guard. He’s got great vision. He’s tall. He reads the pick-and-roll right. Once he gets more confidence in his game, I think he might be able to do it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-trying-to-develop-depth-at-point-guard/397034201/

Go Gophers!!

Nate sounds honest in his assessment. Great that we are preparing people to play the position. Pretty dang scary if Nate is unavailable versus anybody in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom