Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

per Greder:

P.J. Fleck wants one standout quarterback in each recruiting class. For 2019, the Gophers coach and his staff have focused in on two of the highest-rated quarterbacks in the nation, and the scholarship offer is open to one of them on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Hank Bachmeier, of Murrieta (Calif.) Valley, is the fourth-rated pro-style QB and 140th-best player in the nation, according to 247sports.com’s composite lists. He plans to visit Minnesota for the Big Ten opener against Maryland on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Max Duggan, of Lewis Central in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is ranked the eighth-best pro-style QB and 317th nationally, per 247sports.com. He is expected to attend Minnesota’s homecoming game against Illinois on Oct. 21.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/2...ms-high-while-shopping-for-2019-quarterbacks/

Go Gophers!!

per Gorney: QB Hank Bachmeier on P.J. Fleck: Doing the whole nine yards

Next up for the four-star quarterback is a trip to Minnesota this weekend for the Maryland matchup.

With connections to the state and a budding relationship with first-year coach P.J. Fleck, Bachmeier is definitely interested in the Golden Gophers. There’s no doubt Fleck is going the extra mile in recruiting the four-star quarterback.

Bachmeier still has family in Minnesota and he returns to the state every summer to visit.

“P.J., two or three times a day, he’s FaceTiming, calling, texting,” Bachmeier said. “He flew out here. I talked to his wife on Facetime, (basketball coach Richard) Pitino. He’s doing the whole nine yards.

“My family is from there. It’s a strong connection not many people know. The way he’s talking, there might be a chance there, but I’m just feeling everything out right now.

“On ‘Being P.J. Fleck’, he’s awesome and he gets you fired up. When you’re on the phone with him he’s very genuine. He’s a great guy and everything he does is honest and real. Some people might not buy in to that but it’s amazing what he did at Western Michigan and I think he’ll continue that at Minnesota.”

https://n.rivals.com/news/qb-hank-bachmeier-on-p-j-fleck-doing-the-whole-nine-yards

Go Gophers!!

“He flew out here. I talked to his wife on Facetime, (basketball coach Richard) Pitino. He’s doing the whole nine yards."

When did Fleck and Pitino get married?

I love reading this stuff. Was it really less than a year ago we were recruiting a JUCO QB who nobody had ever heard of and whose stats didn't inspire much confidence? Now we are focused a class ahead on an elite QB and pulling out all the stops? I love the effort/strategy regardless of the end result.

“He flew out here. I talked to his wife on Facetime, (basketball coach Richard) Pitino. He’s doing the whole nine yards."

When did Fleck and Pitino get married?

Neighborhood swingers party.

I love reading this stuff. Was it really less than a year ago we were recruiting a JUCO QB who nobody had ever heard of and whose stats didn't inspire much confidence? Now we are focused a class ahead on an elite QB and pulling out all the stops? I love the effort/strategy regardless of the end result.

Yes! QB's win championships. They can make a good team great. Your destiny is established by the level of QB you can recruit. The last regime hoped they would get lucky, PJ goes and gets what he wants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per Greder:

P.J. Fleck wants one standout quarterback in each recruiting class. For 2019, the Gophers coach and his staff have focused in on two of the highest-rated quarterbacks in the nation, and the scholarship offer is open to one of them on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Hank Bachmeier, of Murrieta (Calif.) Valley, is the fourth-rated pro-style QB and 140th-best player in the nation, according to 247sports.com’s composite lists. He plans to visit Minnesota for the Big Ten opener against Maryland on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Max Duggan, of Lewis Central in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is ranked the eighth-best pro-style QB and 317th nationally, per 247sports.com. He is expected to attend Minnesota’s homecoming game against Illinois on Oct. 21.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/2...ms-high-while-shopping-for-2019-quarterbacks/

Go Gophers!!

So, if Duggan accepts before Bachmeier, Bachmeier's offer is withdrawn? If this is correct, does this happen a lot in recruiting?

But two QBs in the same class happens all the time, too. So I'd guess taking both would be a real option. We need one first, however. Anything after that would be cake.

Well yes, the question was more regarding if first come, first serve situations are extremely common in recruiting

So, if Duggan accepts before Bachmeier, Bachmeier's offer is withdrawn? If this is correct, does this happen a lot in recruiting?

Yup, it is pretty common.

PJ has even noted it when he talks about recruiting (and coaches rarely talk about that aspect).

I think it is a fair way to do it.

If Burns expects a commitment, that’s pretty big news. Wonder how quick he’ll make a decision

I always thought only 247 analysts made the Crystal Ball predictions. Good to see Burns making those now, as he seems to be more plugged in.

I always thought only 247 analysts made the Crystal Ball predictions. Good to see Burns making those now, as he seems to be more plugged in.

247 bought out Scout a while ago so now all of the Scout guys have access to crystal ball predictions. It’s funny though, I seem to remember a lot of the non-247 guys complaining about the crystal ball being a gimmick now being fully on board with it.

This is unfortunately very common. Coaches approach a class knowing they need X offensive lineman, Y defensive lineman, Z wide receivers, etc.

I think it unfair to the kids, as it pressures them into making an incredibly important and life-changing decision on someone else's timeline.

Further, when we hired PJ and when the 2017 class filled quickly over the summer there were rumors that he puts immense pressure on recruits to decide early. I have no proof of this, but if you look how quickly the class filled up I believe it to be true. All over the world in every industry people use time pressure as a sales tactic, for better or worse.

This is unfortunately very common. Coaches approach a class knowing they need X offensive lineman, Y defensive lineman, Z wide receivers, etc.

I think it unfair to the kids, as it pressures them into making an incredibly important and life-changing decision on someone else's timeline.

Further, when we hired PJ and when the 2017 class filled quickly over the summer there were rumors that he puts immense pressure on recruits to decide early. I have no proof of this, but if you look how quickly the class filled up I believe it to be true. All over the world in every industry people use time pressure as a sales tactic, for better or worse.

Well I mean, its either first come, first serve or "If someone better than you commits later then we will pull your offer". Which is more preferable? Neither is great for the recruits, but I think the first one is a bit more honest and honorable. Kids can always decommit if they decide they made the decision too fast.

EDIT: This is only a problem really because we know we won't get everyone we offer. You have 1 QB spot, you can't just offer one QB at a time. Thus, choices have to be made.

I think an early start of Bachmeier + Quinn could lead to a coup in recruiting next year. PJ seems pretty sure (publically) the 2019 class will be something special.

We should get rid of National Signing Day. A recruit should be able to sign any time during their senior year. That way the recruit has a guaranteed spot that the coach can't pull at the last minute because someone better came along (e.g., Coach Saban), and the university doesn't worry about losing a commit. The three outs are (a) a recruit can cancel the LOI for any reason within one week of signing (that way a coach can't pressure them to sign during a visit and have it be binding); (b) recruit can back out if there's a change of the head coach; and (c) university can back out if recruit commits a felony.

We should get rid of National Signing Day. A recruit should be able to sign any time during their senior year. That way the recruit has a guaranteed spot that the coach can't pull at the last minute because someone better came along (e.g., Coach Saban), and the university doesn't worry about losing a commit. The three outs are (a) a recruit can cancel the LOI for any reason within one week of signing (that way a coach can't pressure them to sign during a visit and have it be binding); (b) recruit can back out if there's a change of the head coach; and (c) university can back out if recruit commits a felony.

That's not a bad idea.

But what happens to someone who signs their LOI their junior year, and then starts regretting it in their senior year? The issue with this is recruits won't want to sign very much earlier, because it is binding. The whole reason recruits feel fine about committing is because it isn't binding at that moment.

But what happens to someone who signs their LOI their junior year, and then starts regretting it in their senior year? The issue with this is recruits won't want to sign very much earlier, because it is binding. The whole reason recruits feel fine about committing is because it isn't binding at that moment.

Then those that want to will and others won't. And he said only in senior year

All the 2019 stuff right now is verbals, plenty of time for kids to reconsider and decommit anytime with no penalty and plenty of time for the school to cool on their offer or make it an offer at another position if they find better skill guys. I think it's good that they can't sign with consequences until their senior year, having a signing day allows players to tell 5 coaches verbally they are interested but sign on the dotted line to one when the day comes. Plenty of protection for the kids, and the penalty of sitting out a year if they change their mind doesn't sting much for the player either as most would redshirt anyway.

I think the players have the better of the system as it stands now and I don't shed any tears for the schools as they make plenty of money on these kids.

He does? Why don't we have the #1 recruiting class in the country and a bushel of committed 5-stars?

Obviously, it takes time to build up to the nation 5 star players. But that doesn't fit your simple logic, so go ahead and run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom