Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Right, as I stated:

"Since 2000, 702 football recruits have earned five-star ratings on the 247Sports Composite." It's more than a little duplicitous of them to not call that out more prominently. We have signed at least two 5-stars - Brandon Owens and Hayo Carpenter - among others that I might be forgetting. Conveniently, Scout (which rated both of them as 5-stars) doesn't exist anymore so I can't even provide a link to their ratings pages.

The class he had lined up when he was let go seems like proof to me.

I thought he had a full month-plus to close out his signing class. Silly me. No recruits ever commit to a school within a month of National Signing Day.

The class he had lined up when he was let go seems like proof to me.

EDIT: There are good players in the class and I’m sure some were in tow before the Claeys dismissal. Claeys is a wonderful coordinator and helped build positive momentum here. That said I know that class was not shaping up as another top 45 class.

That would only be proof to someone who is desperate to come to a specific conclusion.

The CC stuff was great and I'm sure it helped, but it happens every single year at every single school.

That would only be proof to someone who is desperate to come to a specific conclusion.

The CC stuff was great and I'm sure it helped, but it happens every single year at every single school.

You guys crack me up! I am looking forward to seeing how you guys handle us winning the West. Again - Thankful for what Claeys and Kill did for us, looking forward to how much further PJ can take out program. Over and out.

I thought he had a full month-plus to close out his signing class. Silly me. No recruits ever commit to a school within a month of National Signing Day.

Especially because at that time it was the only signing day. :)

Especially because at that time it was the only signing day. :)

It's completely unsurprising that the same people who positively judge a Fleck class by its status on December 18 (35th!) would negatively judge a Claeys class by its status on January 3. At least they're consistent, even if they're stupid in both cases.

Well, they had one year - not six. There is just as much reason as not to believe that things would improve in 2017 and beyond. Because you don't think so, someone who does is an idiot, right?

We all know that Claeys was technically a new coach. However, he had a level of continuity that is far different from what a typical coach goes through when taking a new job.

Claeys and Kill had been here for 6 years. You pretty much know what you have by that point - I doubt there are a high percentage of coaches who started to significantly ramp up their winning percentage at year 7 and beyond. This is the argument that's happening on the basketball board. Pitino has been here for 6 years - anyone thinking that if he's retained that years 7-12 are going to be significantly better than the past 6 years don't really have anything to base their opinion on other than wishful thinking. I have something very substantial to base Kill/Claeys and Pitino's future performance on - their demonstrated level of performance at the U for their first 6 years.

We all know that Claeys was technically a new coach. However, he had a level of continuity that is far different from what a typical coach goes through when taking a new job.

Claeys and Kill had been here for 6 years. You pretty much know what you have by that point - I doubt there are a high percentage of coaches who started to significantly ramp up their winning percentage at year 7 and beyond. This is the argument that's happening on the basketball board. Pitino has been here for 6 years - anyone thinking that if he's retained that years 7-12 are going to be significantly better than the past 6 years don't really have anything to base their opinion on other than wishful thinking. I have something very substantial to base Kill/Claeys and Pitino's future performance on - their demonstrated level of performance at the U for their first 6 years.

The difference is that Pitino has been the head coach for 6 years. Claeys was the head coach for one full season. Trying to pretend otherwise lays bare your very transparent agenda - not that it wasn't clear already.

The difference is that Pitino has been the head coach for 6 years. Claeys was the head coach for one full season. Trying to pretend otherwise lays bare your very transparent agenda - not that it wasn't clear already.

Kill was here for 5 years and people are arguing the program was going to continue to rise higher under him. If you think the results were going to be that much better under Tracy, you have to believe he was going to recruit better than Kill did and that the offense was going to improve under him. Either one of these are highly unlikely for anyone wishing to have an intelligent conversation.

Kill was 29-29, 14-21 in the B1G. 50% winning percentage overall, 40% in the B1G. Pitino is 106-84 overall, 37-64 in the B1G. 56% winning percentage overall, 37% in the B1G. Kill is viewed as an extraordinary coach by some and people believe we were going to all of sudden start winning at a much higher percentage than we previously did. Pitino is likely to be fired. Interesting.

Kill was here for 5 years and people are arguing the program was going to continue to rise higher under him. If you think the results were going to be that much better under Tracy, you have to believe he was going to recruit better than Kill did and that the offense was going to improve under him. Either one of these are highly unlikely for anyone wishing to have an intelligent conversation.

Kill was 29-29, 14-21 in the B1G. 50% winning percentage overall, 40% in the B1G. Pitino is 106-84 overall, 37-64 in the B1G. 56% winning percentage overall, 37% in the B1G. Kill is viewed as an extraordinary coach by some and people believe we were going to all of sudden start winning at a much higher percentage than we previously did. Pitino is likely to be fired. Interesting.

We aren't talking about Kill, we're talking about Claeys. Talk about having an intelligent conversation.

Claeys was already winning at a higher percentage than Kill did.

We aren't talking about Kill, we're talking about Claeys. Talk about having an intelligent conversation.

Claeys was already winning at a higher percentage than Kill did.

So you're speculating that Claeys was a better coach than Kill because his winning percentage in 1 season was higher. Interesting take.

We're banking on Fleck being able to do it based on his 4 years as HC at WMU. Same thought with Kill, in the 10 years as a HC before the U, six years had nine or more wins.

We're banking on Fleck being able to do it based on his 4 years as HC at WMU. Same thought with Kill, in the 10 years as a HC before the U, six years had nine or more wins.

After being at the U for 6 years, I'd argue that Kill's past accomplishments at Northern Illinois and other schools were irrelevant and had no bearing on his future performance at the U. Same with Fleck. We'll know what we have with him after 4-5 seasons. If Fleck maxes out at 8 wins the next 3 seasons, I'm not going to predict that he will suddenly start winning 11-12 just because he did so at Western Michigan.

Help, I'm lost. I thought I was on the 2019 recruiting thread, but I must have taken a wrong turn, and wound up in another "coach vs coach" argument.

Those darn roundabout intersections.

I am curious of any four stars fall into the cracks after tomorrow that the Gophers can nab.

It is a major bummer De'Mariyon Houston is heavily leaning on Nebraska.

Help, I'm lost. I thought I was on the 2019 recruiting thread, but I must have taken a wrong turn, and wound up in another "coach vs coach" argument.

Those darn roundabout intersections.
+1000, and it always seems to be the same cast of characters that take and keep threads off topic. Here's hoping that Owens finds his way back to Minnesota and commits.

No proof needed. Just go with the “it was pretty obvious that...”. IALTO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No proof needed. Just go with the “it was pretty obvious that...”. IALTO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is all opinion on both sides.

Even asking for proof is asanine

Interesting discussion, how about some recruiting news?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No. The other "side" is "who knows, it's impossible to tell".

That's the rationale point of view.

Okay,

Well people saying that kill and/or Claeys definitely hadn’t peaked and the best was yet to come have a position impossible to prove.
As does the side saying they peaked.

I know what I believe, but it’s impossible to prove. So I guess im on the third side with you.

Interesting discussion, how about some recruiting news?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So do the Gophers still have two open scholies?

The transfer free agents need to be accounted for. No idea if we can sign more people? We had some people leave via transfer and/or retirement....not sure if that matters?

I am curious of any four stars fall into the cracks after tomorrow that the Gophers can nab.

It is a major bummer De'Mariyon Houston is heavily leaning on Nebraska.

I don't even get that. Yeah we looked like **** against Nebraska with our boy Robb running the D, but we have a nice looking passing game and young QBs..why Nebraska out of nowhere?

We are done signing completely. The only way we would have another spot is if Grimes, the USC WR transfer, who isn't on campus and I believe technically hasn't signed anything decided to pursue other stuff in the next few months before he'd be due to show up here. So at maximum we'd have 1 if that were to happen.

In fact, we actually will have to have 5-6 departures by the time summer starts to get to the right overall scholarship number.

Top Bottom