Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I wonder if these kids wanted to commit earlier and PJ asked then to wait to announce until after they signed the 2018 class?

That's my assumption. I also think PJ probably called then last night / morning saying "See how special yesterday was and what we are doing here"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if these kids wanted to commit earlier and PJ asked then to wait to announce until after they signed the 2018 class?

I'm guessing that might be what PJ asked, because it's not like they both just decide that today is a good day by accident.

Helps to prevent any jeopardizing of the 2018 class.

Not overly excited about Kramer, I know we still may land Bachmeier, but dang its nice to start off the cycle like this with two good instate commits

Kramer is an interesting player. Spann-Ford seems to think he is legit. 31 TD's to 0 INT's in two years of starting.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Hope it's a nice trend and will be continued with Carroll & Benhart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly doubt both QC and BB become gophers. If one commits, the other surely will not. Plus benhart is likely going to WI as his dad is rolling out his recruitment very business like and sees sconnie as better history w OL. I see l little chance he comes to MN.

I highly doubt both QC and BB become gophers. If one commits, the other surely will not. Plus benhart is likely going to WI as his dad is rolling out his recruitment very business like and sees sconnie as better history w OL. I see l little chance he comes to MN.

What do you mean his recruitment is very business like? Really would be unfortunate to see him jump next door.

So I think we only have 14-15 seniors next year....Given the size of 2018 class I think we can only bring in like 15 for 2019 right? (probably a few more after transfers in December)

Invariably there will be a few transfers as well

Did we even get to have a "I'm concerned we haven't gotten a 2019 commitment yet" thread?

This doesn't make any sense.

The word is that they both strictly want to play LT so if one comes here, the other doesn't see this as a destination anymore. If that truly is the situation it is a little frustrating from a fan's perspective but what're you going to do?

To be honest, I just don't think Benhart is that interested to start with.

The word is that they both strictly want to play LT so if one comes here, the other doesn't see this as a destination anymore. If that truly is the situation it is a little frustrating from a fan's perspective but what're you going to do?

I don't see why an elite player would shy away from competition. An elite player would bet on himself and have the confidence to win the job. But then again, I'm not a D1 4star recruit.

I don't see why an elite player would shy away from competition. An elite player would bet on himself and have the confidence to win the job. But then again, I'm not a D1 4star recruit.

Don't shoot the messenger. That's what's been said by some of the "experts"

I Find that very hard to believe.

Quinn has never even played LT for Edina over the last 3 years as a starter, he is their RT. I doubt which tackle position he plays would make or break his decision to come here, or really any O-lineman's decision.

Also if Benhart commits first and the plan is for him to play LT, I highly doubt Quinn would be scared away by him if he also wants to play LT. I'm sure he'd have enough confidence in himself to beat him out.

Plus if he goes to Bama, OSU, ND etc. he's going to have to beat out guys a lot more highly ranked than Benhart to play LT. Plus if Benhart goes to Wisconsin or UCLA, he'll likely have to beat out some very good players at LT as well.

Agreed - the "LT" thing seems to be an excuse to cover the fact that he just doesn't want to be here.

If I had to wager, I would guess that we get neither, unfortunately. If I had to lay money today, I would wager that Benhart ends up at wisconsin and Carroll at whichever helmet school he ends up selecting (Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, Ohio St. - one among that group).

Quinn has never even played LT for Edina over the last 3 years as a starter, he is their RT. I doubt which tackle position he plays would make or break his decision to come here, or really any O-lineman's decision.

Also if Benhart commits first and the plan is for him to play LT, I highly doubt Quinn would be scared away by him if he also wants to play LT. I'm sure he'd have enough confidence in himself to beat him out.

Plus if he goes to Bama, OSU, ND etc. he's going to have to beat out guys a lot more highly ranked than Benhart to play LT. Plus if Benhart goes to Wisconsin or UCLA, he'll likely have to beat out some very good players at LT as well.

Agree with this. Wisconsin's already got two fairly highly touted Tackle commits in the 19 class so the experts may be grasping at straws with the LT talk. As you said the mountain is much steeper to climb at Wisconsin than it is here where there's a clear path to start after the JUCO Tackles graduate. Playing left or right tackle in college is semi-irrelevant anyway. Tyron Smith who's probably the best LT in the NFL played RT at USC. If you have the athleticism you will play left at the highest level.

Agreed - the "LT" thing seems to be an excuse to cover the fact that he just doesn't want to be here.

I

To be honest, this is where I'm at as well but what has been reported is they have no interest in playing together. Would love to be wrong. I also agree with you that I'm not overly optimistic on our chances with either.

Recruiting is a funny thing. You have something a lot of teams want. Every one of those college football team will play to the kids to their advantage. Cast doubts about a competitor like MN.

Most likely Benhart and/Carroll may opt for elsewhere. I'd loke both to stay and be a part of something great that is happening at MN. But, the bottom line is that it is a hit and miss. I don't blame the kids for wanting to play for an elite program. Here is the story of Willie Mobley and others.

The story for these two young kids are still being written.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/8/10/3186252/minnesota-football-recruiting-highest-ranked-what-happened

Recruiting is a funny thing. You have something a lot of teams want. Every one of those college football team will play to the kids to their advantage. Cast doubts about a competitor like MN.

Most likely Benhart and/Carroll may opt for elsewhere. I'd loke both to stay and be a part of something great that is happening at MN. But, the bottom line is that it is a hit and miss. I don't blame the kids for wanting to play for an elite program. Here is the story of Willie Mobley and others.

The story for these two young kids are still being written.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2012/8/10/3186252/minnesota-football-recruiting-highest-ranked-what-happened

Bryce McNeal redshirted in '09, and played in 12 games for Clemson in 2010, catching 19 passes for the Tigers falling short of the type of expectations that his recruitment had produced.

In 2011 McNeal was passed on the depth chart by three freshmen , and after 3 games and just one catch, decided to leave the team.

Was curious who those 3 freshman were that passed McNeal.... Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant and Joe Craig. They also had a sophomore by name of DeAndre Hopkins.

Would love to land Carroll, but based on 2018, we are going to get quality lineman even if we have to look outside of Edina and Lakeville. In Benhart wants to go to Wisconsin like Nate Reuvers, I won't stop him. It's a new era in Gopher recruiting. In-state kids should want to be here, but I won't lose sleep if we aren't begging kids to RTB. Well, I might beg for Carroll.

I am super excited for Jason Williamson. I love his tape and am glad we offered now.

Our Top 3 OL Signee's this year are rated right there with the 3 OL (1, 2018) and (2, 2019) that Wisconsin have at this time. Competition will be high no matter where they go including MN.

View attachment 5293
Possible new uniforms.

Hard to tell, it sorta looks photoshopped, but also not. What are the key differences to previous years GGM combo?

What I see:
Gold helment in the photo looks to have a bit of a metallic (maybe even matte) finish, with no maroon RTB/SUM stripe down the middle.

The Jersey color is a bit different, but that could just be the picture.

Pants look the same to me.

he's definitely a guy then needs to a camp or two. Hard to know what you have when guys are playing that level of football. Dude is clearly a flyer just not sure he knows what a route is or if he can catch the thing....

To be honest, this is where I'm at as well but what has been reported is they have no interest in playing together. Would love to be wrong. I also agree with you that I'm not overly optimistic on our chances with either.

I think it's just A product of the times. Wisconsin has been good and many suburbs, especially Lakeville north as it seems, view Wisconsin as a "grass is always greener" and superior location. Besides Boe and Mitch, we haven't had much publicity to the UMN from LN schools.

I just think BB doesn't want to come here and he certainly doesn't want to be in QCs shadow if Quinn decides to row the boat. I.have already chalked BB up to being gone, where ever gone is.

I think it's just A product of the times. Wisconsin has been good and many suburbs, especially Lakeville north as it seems, view Wisconsin as a "grass is always greener" and superior location. Besides Boe and Mitch, we haven't had much publicity to the UMN from LN schools.

I just think BB doesn't want to come here and he certainly doesn't want to be in QCs shadow if Quinn decides to row the boat. I.have already chalked BB up to being gone, where ever gone is.

I think it is too early to get a definitive idea.

How many Power 5 scholarships has Lakeville North produced over the years? I can think of about 3-4. In 2017 in a major metropolitan area, many suburban families likely have ties to other states and schools.

Top Bottom