Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Well, Fleck isn't going to please everyone all the time.

A lot of different things we can be critical of PJ about.

1. Not winning National Title
2. Not making CFP Final
3. Not getting in CFP.
4. Not winning Big Ten.
5. Not winning Big Ten West
6. Not beating Iowa or Michigan
7. Not ranking top 25 recruiting
8. Not winning bowl game
9. Not playing in a major bowl game
10. Not winning a major bowl game
11. Not winning Rose Bowl
12. Not recruiting a 5-star QB
13. Not keeping top in-state O-lineman
14. Not selling out TCF
15. Not having team GPA over 3.500
16. Not having Gophers on warm sideline during cold games
17. Not having better hair
18. Not having all trophy games won in the same year
19. Not having a top 5 offense
20. Not having top 5 defense
21. No NFL first round picks drafted (not developing his talent)
22. Not doing more in the community
23. Not beating Maryland
24. Not being as good as Jeff Brohm

The list is endless and I put yours at #7 for now. Re-rank however you'd like.
Nice work and fair ranking. Just remember, and one thing I appreciate about Fleck, he has stated over and over that he also expects to recruit at a top 25 level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Perhaps my expectations are just too high for this coach (recruiting-wise). I was expecting the gophers to be a top 25 recruiting program, much like fleck himself has stated. With all there is to offer here I don't see a reason we can't out recruit Iowa, Purdue, and yes, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

It appears PJ will still have to pull a Kill, Mason, etc., and outcoached on the field if the gophers want to legitimately challenge for the west title someday.

You'll just have to be frustrated then. Frustration = Expectations - Reality

Maybe he improves his classes over time. Maybe last year is as good as it will get. We don't know.

Part of your complaint is based on being Top 25 when we were 60-70's before.
You could be happy that we're top 40, but instead you're disappointed because it's not top 25.

Maybe it's a bit like hoping for a brand new bike because you wrote santa a really good letter this year.

It's only the 2nd full recruiting class. I have no idea what the future holds, but I sure didn't expect Fleck to come in and start pulling top 10 classes every year -- that's insane. What he HAS done is reel in a few guys we likely wouldn't have gotten in the past: Faalele, Dunlap, Bateman last year and Clark, Cheney, and whomever else ends up committing this year. Grab 2 - 4 of those guys each year, hopefully start winning bigger, build buzz around the program, and hopefully in 3 or 4 years Fleck will be pulling in top 25 classes.

Takes time to build something exciting. It doesn't just happen overnight. Nebraska, OSU, Michigan have been winning for 40+ years. Iowa and Wisconsin have been winning for 15+ years. They've got crazy fan bases and far more national exposure. PJ is moving this thing in the right direction...I believe anyone can see that. Maybe not as quickly as some would like, but it's moving.

Well, Fleck isn't going to please everyone all the time.

A lot of different things we can be critical of PJ about.

1. Not winning National Title
2. Not making CFP Final
3. Not getting in CFP.
4. Not winning Big Ten.
5. Not winning Big Ten West
6. Not beating Iowa or Michigan
7. Not ranking top 25 recruiting
8. Not winning bowl game
9. Not playing in a major bowl game
10. Not winning a major bowl game
11. Not winning Rose Bowl
12. Not recruiting a 5-star QB
13. Not keeping top in-state O-lineman
14. Not selling out TCF
15. Not having team GPA over 3.500
16. Not having Gophers on warm sideline during cold games
17. Not having better hair
18. Not having all trophy games won in the same year
19. Not having a top 5 offense
20. Not having top 5 defense
21. No NFL first round picks drafted (not developing his talent)
22. Not doing more in the community
23. Not beating Maryland
24. Not being as good as Jeff Brohm

The list is endless and I put yours at #7 for now. Re-rank however you'd like.

Whew!!!!! Santa Claus would have a fun time with this Christmas Wish List.

PJ has shown like he did against Purdue and Wisconsin and a team like Fresno St (who finished ranked) that he can take guys with lesser talent and coach 'em up.
Might have to rely on that if we keep getting out-recruited.

Purdue and Fresno had more talent than us? How do you figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Fleck gets Gameday on campus / game featured I’d say we will be doing very well as a program and fans should be excited about that as it shows his recruiting is better.

I appreciate all different opinions we have on this, but I really am just interested in progress. The roster was depleted when Fleck took over, and it looks promising now. We're top 40 recruiting for the first time since recruiting sites operated. That's good progress. When have we landed four star linemen in two straight classes? Controlling the line of scrimmage is how we get to Iowa and Wisconsin level. We are not there yet so that's why I get all the criticism. Some of ya'll are probably Yale grads who make 500k a year and dominate all facets of your lives. You expect the football team to do the same. I'm more of an optimist and am just happy we are making progress. Until we fail at developing and recruiting I will continue to be optimistic.

I appreciate all different opinions we have on this, but I really am just interested in progress. The roster was depleted when Fleck took over, and it looks promising now. We're top 40 recruiting for the first time since recruiting sites operated. That's good progress. When have we landed four star linemen in two straight classes? Controlling the line of scrimmage is how we get to Iowa and Wisconsin level. We are not there yet so that's why I get all the criticism. Some of ya'll are probably Yale grads who make 500k a year and dominate all facets of your lives. You expect the football team to do the same. I'm more of an optimist and am just happy we are making progress. Until we fail at developing and recruiting I will continue to be optimistic.

It is going to get better with PJ Fleck's youth and boundless enthusiasm and energy.

You bring an absolutely important point. Recruiting OL & DL to the highest level is very critical to the Gophers future. We missed out on OL Carroll and Benhart. I am excited for DT Cheney, Schad, Richter, Griffin. But, I have a feeling things will change with once the Gophers start winning. You have an infectious coach who can motivated players to run through brick walls.

We saw what happened with Zack Annexstad in the first half of this season. He was running for his life most of the time and was playing hurt. They inserted Faalele and it made life for Tanner Morgan better.

Last edited:

Yeh, but if PJ was good, all of those items could be knocked out in a single year (if schedule permitted).

Perhaps my expectations are just too high for this coach (recruiting-wise). I was expecting the gophers to be a top 25 recruiting program, much like fleck himself has stated. With all there is to offer here I don't see a reason we can't out recruit Iowa, Purdue, and yes, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

It appears PJ will still have to pull a Kill, Mason, etc., and outcoached on the field if the gophers want to legitimately challenge for the west title someday.

If Fleck can get classes in the next two years in the 30's and the W's start coming in the tune of 7-9 per year, I believe he will start pulling in top 25 teams. This really his second full class. Give the guy a chance to put all the pieces together that make his culture whole.
In other words....Patience Grasshopper

I think you can drop #22. He has done more for the Twin Cities than Mason, Brew, Kill, TC combined. Also might want to check the GPA. I though it was the best in football squad history.

Purdue and Fresno had more talent than us? How do you figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. I did this wrong.

PJ out-coached Wisconsin. (Wisconsin had higher recruiting rankings).

PJ beat Purdue and Fresno with better talent. (Unless we subscribe to the idea that recruiting classes in 30's to 80's are about the same). In that case we would have beat those teams for reasons other than talent or coaching.

Class Rk - MN - PURDUE - Fresno
2015 - 63 - 67 - 72
2016 - 46 - 80 - 85
2017 - 59 - 72 - 84
2018 - 38 - 51 - 92

If Fleck gets Gameday on campus / game featured I’d say we will be doing very well as a program and fans should be excited about that as it shows his recruiting is better.

I would think that since we are one of a handful of schools to have never been featured/visited on Gameday that maybe ESPN would look to try to get here if the opportunity presents itself. Getting 5 or 7 wins to start out the year should be reason enough.

2019 - Game Day Opportunities

Thurs.., Aug. 29 South Dakota State - Hope
Sat., Sept. 7 at Fresno State - Road
Sat., Sept. 14 Georgia Southern - Nope
Sat., Sept. 28 at Purdue - Road
Sat., Oct. 05 Illinois - nope
Sat., Oct. 12 Nebraska - too early (Bama at Texas A&M that week)
Sat., Oct. 19 at Rutgers - road
Sat., Oct. 26 Maryland - doubtful
Sat., Nov. 09 Penn State - possible
Sat., Nov. 16 at Iowa - Road
Sat., Nov. 23 at Northwestern - Road
Sat., Nov. 30 Wisconsin - possible

If both MN and NE are undefeated maybe they would come here. If that was true it would be two up and coming coaches battling for the chair trophy. Think of the ratings the chair trophy alone would garner.

Good point. I did this wrong.

PJ out-coached Wisconsin. (Wisconsin had higher recruiting rankings).

PJ beat Purdue and Fresno with better talent. (Unless we subscribe to the idea that recruiting classes in 30's to 80's are about the same). In that case we would have beat those teams for reasons other than talent or coaching.

Class Rk - MN - PURDUE - Fresno
2015 - 63 - 67 - 72
2016 - 46 - 80 - 85
2017 - 59 - 72 - 84
2018 - 38 - 51 - 92

Or that recruiting rankings can be a good indicator of talent but that they aren't fool proof.

I'll take this as a good sign.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As noted, it's a matter of perception and expectations. When Fleck was hired, one of the things we heard repeatedly was that Fleck was a top recruiter - had the best recruiting classes or among the best in his conference.

So, there was a perception, or an expectation, that Fleck would improve recruiting at the U of MN. And that leads to the $64,000 question - how do you define "improvement?"

if the previous coach was recruiting classes ranked in the 50's, and Fleck is recruiting classes ranked in the 40's or 30's, that is an improvement. No question.

Which leads to the next question - is that enough of an improvement to A. make a difference, and B. allow the program to contend for Conference titles?

And that, my friends, remains to be seen. Kill and Claeys showed they could get to an 8-win level by recruiting classes in the 50's and (cliche warning) "coaching them up."

So, for Fleck, two questions remain - 1. can he bring in higher-rated classes - top 30 level or better? and 2. if he falls short of that level, can he take a class in the 40's or lower 30's and "coach them up" enough to get to that 9 or 10-win level. stay tuned.

Getting excited about the defensive line!!

Fleck has recruited dlinemen so much better than his predecessors, it's crazy. Even with losing Noah Shannon last year, and Bargy and Anderson this year, the line still appears to be well stocked.

GD will never come during the last weekend of the season. Too many higher profile rivalries. Any Axe game appearances would be in the middle of the season imo.

If Fleck can get classes in the next two years in the 30's and the W's start coming in the tune of 7-9 per year, I believe he will start pulling in top 25 teams. This really his second full class. Give the guy a chance to put all the pieces together that make his culture whole.
In other words....Patience Grasshopper
If patience could be bottled when it comes to gopher football, we'd have the best bottle of 50 year old whiskey around!

Is Bargy done then? Would we still have a spot for him if changed his mind? I suppose if you officially declmmit, you usually end up going somewhere else.

Is Bargy done then? Would we still have a spot for him if changed his mind? I suppose if you officially declmmit, you usually end up going somewhere else.

Bargy didn't change his mind. We pulled the offer due to a domestic battery charge.

Top Bottom