Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Although it is nice to see a kids Star Rating rise, I am more pleased with the in-person evaluations that the coaches give. I won't be disappointed if Nnamdi's ratings go up or remain the same.

Obviously, recruiting is done to fill needs and look for players who fit the Gopher's system.

The important things is that the players remain committed to the Gophers.

They don't.

But, the offers that a recruit receives may cause other schools to take a fresh look at a player. "Hey, he got offered by Clemson, or he got offered by Georgia. We better look at this kid again and see if we missed something." (we can only dream about the day that other schools go, "hey, he got offered by MN. We better take another look at this kid......")

Again - not talking about the rating services, but offers can impact perceptions by other schools, the media, and fans. How many times has someone on this board posted something to the effect of "he may be a 3-star player, but he's got a really impressive list of offers." Some have even said the list of offers is more important than the rating in evaluating a recruit.

247 has flat out stated offers account for 10% of the rating. That’s before one adds in the subconscious bias, groupthink, and peer pressure. Whatever, the proof is in the pudding. Can the guys play? Do they look good or look like excrement as a team unit? Are players developing nicely by their third year and fourth years? Are the Ws coming?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I attended the post B1G Media day Happy Hour with PJ yesterday. He shared a lot of the same stuff that was spoken at the event -Young, growing as team, give us time, year zero-one two, RTB etc. As all have said, he has a lot of energy and conviction and seems to be well suited for the role.

The one interesting tidbit was when he referenced recruiting. Obviously could not name names, but said we have some great talent coming in ranked 23rd nationally etc. He specifically noted the "two..well one and a half RBs who are going to be awesome (assuming Potts and Wiley)...and a Third who is REALLY GOOD and we will all be VERY excited about".... Sounds like a silent verbal was given to him. I"m guessing Barlow unless there is a secret target or Flip from Brock???

I attended the post B1G Media day Happy Hour with PJ yesterday. He shared a lot of the same stuff that was spoken at the event -Young, growing as team, give us time, year zero-one two, RTB etc. As all have said, he has a lot of energy and conviction and seems to be well suited for the role.

The one interesting tidbit was when he referenced recruiting. Obviously could not name names, but said we have some great talent coming in ranked 23rd nationally etc. He specifically noted the "two..well one and a half RBs who are going to be awesome (assuming Potts and Wiley)...and a Third who is REALLY GOOD and we will all be VERY excited about".... Sounds like a silent verbal was given to him. I"m guessing Barlow unless there is a secret target or Flip from Brock???

I'm guessing Williamson (kid from Owatonna), Wiley is the half, and Potts is the one they are fired up about.

a Third who is REALLY GOOD and we will all be VERY excited about".... Sounds like a silent verbal was given to him.
Silent verbals rarely seem to transpire. Even when they do, how committed are they really? Those types of players I wait for a signature before getting excited about.

Silent verbals rarely seem to transpire. Even when they do, how committed are they really? Those types of players I wait for a signature before getting excited about.

Yeah, didn't the QB from Council Bluffs give a silent verbal or was it the one that is going to Boise? They just aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Yeah, didn't the QB from Council Bluffs give a silent verbal or was it the one that is going to Boise? They just aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I don't think that was ever confirmed that Duggan gave a silent verbal, just speculation. I could be wrong.

I don't think that was ever confirmed that Duggan gave a silent verbal, just speculation. I could be wrong.
Someone on this forum claimed to work for the U and said it was legit, IIRC. Either way, if you're not publicly announcing a commitment, clearly you are still shopping around. How would your girlfriend react to you saying 'I choose you, but don't tell anyone'?

Someone on this forum claimed to work for the U and said it was legit, IIRC. Either way, if you're not publicly announcing a commitment, clearly you are still shopping around. How would your girlfriend react to you saying 'I choose you, but don't tell anyone'?

I don't think that's the case all the time. Could be that they want to wait for a specific time to announce it. Maybe want to set something up at the school to make the announcement but want the team to know immediately so they don't recruit someone else at the position. If a woman finds out she's pregnant, she probably tells the husband/boyfriend. But they may wait a few weeks to tell everyone else.

I don't think that's the case all the time. Could be that they want to wait for a specific time to announce it. Maybe want to set something up at the school to make the announcement but want the team to know immediately so they don't recruit someone else at the position. If a woman finds out she's pregnant, she probably tells the husband/boyfriend. But they may wait a few weeks to tell everyone else.
Well done.

More accurately, silent verbals aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

More accurately, silent verbals aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

Are loud verbals worth the paper they aren't written on? If a recruit screams out "I COMMIT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA" but nobody hears it, is it solid?

sometimes she tells both of them.

Back on topic, with practice starting in a week how does that effect recruiting? I feel like Fleck wants the early commits so he can focus on the team. When does the dead period end, same as the start of practice??
At the same time, how are recruits effected as they watch the team progress through the season? Flips come based on results?

Mike Brown-Stephens is an interesting WR target for the Gophers. One of the lowest rated prospects the Gophers seem to be in on, but there have been a number of reports of him being a standout in various camp settings. For what it's worth, he's the guy who has the most crystal ball predictions towards Minnesota that is currently uncommitted.

Mike Brown-Stephens is an interesting WR target for the Gophers. One of the lowest rated prospects the Gophers seem to be in on, but there have been a number of reports of him being a standout in various camp settings. For what it's worth, he's the guy who has the most crystal ball predictions towards Minnesota that is currently uncommitted.

This kid looks like he could be a real player. Doesn't have great size or speed, but just seems like a play maker. Willie Snead comp.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom