Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

If Tyler Johnson goes pro now, I’d take both the receivers who are in for the weekend. Not saying we can just grab both but filling his spot would be necessary. Only reason I think he might go is Burns on Twitter said he would be getting the money soon. Not sure if he meant 2019 or 2020 draft.
I think the two receivers we brought in this weekend indicates Tyler is looking to go pro. I could be wrong, but based on offers, WR wasn't a hot priority until recently.

It's a double edged sword. PJ is getting 4 star WRs on campus since he can pitch playing time and getting guys to the league. Problem is, we could lose Johnson.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the two receivers we brought in this weekend indicates Tyler is looking to go pro. I could be wrong, but based on offers, WR wasn't a hot priority until recently.

It's a double edged sword. PJ is getting 4 star WRs on campus since he can pitch playing time and getting guys to the league. Problem is, we could lose Johnson.

Johnson may go pro, but this is also about adding the best talent possible. If we get 2 WR commits though, that basically means he’s NFL bound. Our WR group is stellar even if TJ leaves.

IMO I don't think Tyler is going pro this year. We are recruiting the most talented players we can regardless of position. I think Fleck understands how important the WR position is to keep the box as empty as possible.

I don't think its an indicator at all. Anytime you can get a four star talent, you take it, regardless of need.

TJ needs to learn not to drop passes and demonstrate that on the field. As of now it would be a massive mistake for him to go pro, he is a later selection. But since when has that stoped anyone? I am not sure TJ and the potential recruits are directly linked.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

As discussed elsewhere, Tyler should look at going pro. No harm in doing the exploratory thing. If he gets feedback indicating he’ll be drafted in the middle rounds, then he has a decision to make. He can improve his stock with a big senior year but it is nice PJ is planning for life after TJ.

TJ needs to learn not to drop passes and demonstrate that on the field. As of now it would be a massive mistake for him to go pro, he is a later selection. But since when has that stoped anyone? I am not sure TJ and the potential recruits are directly linked.

Every receiver drops passes. First round picks drop passes. He was towards the top of the conference in most receiving stats on a run heavy team. A few dropped passes isn’t why teams would pass on him.

Every receiver drops passes. First round picks drop passes. He was towards the top of the conference in most receiving stats on a run heavy team. A few dropped passes isn’t why teams would pass on him.
Then we can talk about his speed. But he has the drops and that is kind of a big deal. I agree he should get feedback on what teams are thinking. This is just my feedback and that and a nickel...

I don't think its an indicator at all. Anytime you can get a four star talent, you take it, regardless of need.
My point is, I don't these guys would visit unless we told them Johnson is going pro and there's an opportunity for playing time. Just speculation.

Correct. Not super fast, not big bodied, not a great run after catch guy, not super strong...a whole list of reasons. Very good college receiver, but there’s a ton of em...dude needs to stay in school. But the more talent we have there the better.

Last edited:

My point is, I don't these guys would visit unless we told them Johnson is going pro and there's an opportunity for playing time. Just speculation.

There are a lot of possibilities other than TJ going pro. Other WRs may transfer out. One WR may be switching positions. Maybe only 1 of the recruits is a take.

I’m so tired of this take. He had a drop in maybe the first 6 games of the year and he also made some really difficult catches. I don’t remember any easy drops over the past four or five games.
As a fan base we are so critical of the players that we have that are really good.

I’m so tired of this take. He had a drop in maybe the first 6 games of the year and he also made some really difficult catches. I don’t remember any easy drops over the past four or five games.
As a fan base we are so critical of the players that we have that are really good.
C'mon. Anyways I don't want to get into it. Let's get some recruits!!!!

It's not like QB, I don't think one wr's decision would have much influence on someone worried about playing time. Plus the four star guy is a Oklahoma lean, I don't think he is super worried about playing time as I assume they have plenty of talented WRs.

Exactly. He finished #2 in the B1G in practically every WR category (catches, TD, yards). When is the last time we’ve had a WR do that? He will get paid to be a pro when he wants.

C'mon. Anyways I don't want to get into it. Let's get some recruits!!!!

What? He was our best player that we have had on offense this year and probably the best offensive player since Decker. Just because he had 1 drop in roughly half of the games this year you think he is not a legit nfl prospect. Give the guy some respect.

What? He was our best player that we have had on offense this year and probably the best offensive player since Decker. Just because he had 1 drop in roughly half of the games this year you think he is not a legit nfl prospect. Give the guy some respect.
You have a selective memory. Hell, I would bet in half the games he dropped his first or second target and that is ignoring the rest of the game play.

Never said he wasn't our best player, never said he is not a good reciver and most importantly I never said he won't get drafted and get paid for his talents. He just happens to be a later pick this year. If he came back and didn't have pronounced troubles catching the ball his stock would only increase even if there were a slight decrease in production. That is my opnion.

You have a selective memory. Hell, I would bet in half the games he dropped his first or second target and that is ignoring the rest of the game play.

Never said he wasn't our best player, never said he is not a good reciver and most importantly I never said he won't get drafted and get paid for his talents. He just happens to be a later pick this year. If he came back and didn't have pronounced troubles catching the ball his stock would only increase even if there were a slight decrease in production. That is my opnion.

I didn't see all the games but it seems that he had his drops earlier in the season and was much more reliable as the season went on.

This is a really weak year for wide receivers in the draft. Next year looks to be very strong. That is worth factoring in to his decision.

But this thread is about recruiting. I hope we find someone to eventually replace Johnson. He has been great and if he is back next year I’m sure he’ll be a monster

We have Bateman, CAB, and Douglas as the three starting WR if Johnson is out. That's a tremendous trio.

We have Bateman, CAB, and Douglas as the three starting WR if Johnson is out. That's a tremendous trio.

Johnson added to that would be better.

Add two rs sr running backs and we have an offense to be reckoned with. Next year could be special from the offensive side of things if we find a qb that can hit the open man as there should be mismatches all over the damn field.

Johnson added to that would be better.

Add two rs sr running backs and we have an offense to be reckoned with. Next year could be special from the offensive side of things if we find a qb that can hit the open man as there should be mismatches all over the damn field.

Frankly, with Ibrahim and Williams, we already have two great RBs. No one is going to deny Smith and Brooks a chance to start let alone play ... but we don't need them.

Johnson may go pro, but this is also about adding the best talent possible. If we get 2 WR commits though, that basically means he’s NFL bound. Our WR group is stellar even if TJ leaves.

Or Van Dyne or one of the RS's is leaving.

They practice, they know better than anyone how they stack up against Bateman, Bell, DD.

In general, I agree with you. We're looking to bring in talent and we'll have good WRs without TJ. We'll have great WRs with him though.

Frankly, with Ibrahim and Williams, we already have two great RBs. No one is going to deny Smith and Brooks a chance to start let alone play ... but we don't need them.

Shannon's one game was really impressive though. I loved the way Ibrahim ran all year, but Brooks is on another level.

That's just wrong ....He's a kid and the college is an institution. Colleges have back up plans all the time. A lot of pressure gets put on these kids by the coaches. They can be a bit like a used car salesman. I agree with Shorty on this.

My wording wasn't great. I'm not a fan of a school rescinding their scholarship offer really close to signing day or even on signing day. but I don't think that happens very often. My response was to someone who said once the offer is made and the kid commits, the school shouldn't ever rescind the scholarship offer. If you do it early enough to allow the kid to look elsewhere, I see no problem with it.

Having Smith and Brooks back will hopefully allow Williams to redshirt next year like he probably should have this year.

Mo was solid. But he’s no smith or brooks. I’ll take them both.

Tyler Johnson is a really nice BIG, Minnesota wide receiver. At this point he would be a special teams/fourth receiver on any NFL team. The drops are insignificant or don't matter? Try and tell Tom Brady that after a receiver drops a wide open comeback route for a first down. Hands are everything for a receiver. Tyler has no business thinking NFL right now. He could be a third round pick next year though if he works hard.

Top Bottom