Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Interview was on BTN during the spring game. Early 2nd quarter, IIRC. He was giving highlights and when he hit recruiting he said something like, “we have recruiting classes ranked in the top 25”. Not sure how you spin that as truthful.

The kicker is our recruiting has been great. Look at the results on the field. Why the need to embellish? Again, not the first time Coyle has done this. Combined with past efforts, I highly question his ethics.

Here is one honest question for you Spoofin: don't you think it's entirely possible that Coyle doesn't know jack squat about college football recruiting rankings, and so he was just parroting some positive sounding things that Fleck had fed him?? Probably during some monthly update meeting, that Coyle has with every head coach I would guess.

Coyle probably doesn't know that much about football, period.

He doesn't have to. He only needs to be an expert in hiring someone who does, to run the team.

Explain to me why I shouldn’t care if our AD continues to show little care for honesty and integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for starting my Monday off with a smile. You GH’s do realize that Spoofin comes out of Madison? Check his comments after we won the axe, just saying.

Here is one honest question for you Spoofin: don't you think it's entirely possible that Coyle doesn't know jack squat about college football recruiting rankings, and so he was just parroting some positive sounding things that Fleck had fed him?? Probably during some monthly update meeting, that Coyle has with every head coach I would guess.

Coyle probably doesn't know that much about football, period.

He doesn't have to. He only needs to be an expert in hiring someone who does, to run the team.

Great point. As a follow-up question, to those that feel Coyle is being dishonest, what would you have said if YOU were the AD for Minnesota? "We had hoped for Top 25 recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019 but fell short of that. We're a top 25 class for 2020 and 2021 but it's only because it's early in the process and we have gotten a few more early commits than most other schools but this will even out between now and next December so don't get overly excited." Is that how you, as the AD, would promote your athletic program?

Great point. As a follow-up question, to those that feel Coyle is being dishonest, what would you have said if YOU were the AD for Minnesota? "We had hoped for Top 25 recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019 but fell short of that. We're a top 25 class for 2020 and 2021 but it's only because it's early in the process and we have gotten a few more early commits than most other schools but this will even out between now and next December so don't get overly excited." Is that how you, as the AD, would promote your athletic program?

LOL, exactly.

What the heck was he supposed to say, on BTN?? "You all know, we're Minnesota, so we're just happy to have some kind of ranking in the Big Ten higher than 11th". You promote your school, end of story.

What a joke for anyone to be bothered by it currently being a top 25 class right now.

Calm down about things like this, and your boyfriend will put out more for you. You sound like you need some badly.

Culture of positivity. ^^^.

How about just being genuine and talking about positive momentum?

LOL, exactly.

What the heck was he supposed to say, on BTN?? "You all know, we're Minnesota, so we're just happy to have some kind of ranking in the Big Ten higher than 11th". You promote your school, end of story.

I tend to agree that Coyle was probably only using this to promote the U. That said, he has a strange history of acting like recruiting rankings, way before signing day, are relevant. So he's either stupid or a little greasy.

I tend to agree that Coyle was probably only using this to promote the U. That said, he has a strange history of acting like recruiting rankings, way before signing day, are relevant. So he's either stupid or a little greasy.

..or pandering to those that feel rankings are everything.

How about not comment on subjective rankings as if they are definitive, and comment on the quality of the individual players that are now competing for your program?

"The quality of the players that coach Fleck has gotten to commit to this program are elite and we're seeing that type of quality continue in future classes. Athletically, academically, socially and spiritually"

Not that hard. Puffs up program without using deceptive or outright false subjective numbers. And I even mixed in a little Fleck Kool-Aid.

What a joke for anyone to be bothered by it currently being a top 25 class right now.

Calm down about things like this, and your boyfriend will put out more for you. You sound like you need some badly.

Great, now we have a homophobe on the thread.

How about not comment on subjective rankings as if they are definitive, and comment on the quality of the individual players that are now competing for your program?

"The quality of the players that coach Fleck has gotten to commit to this program are elite and we're seeing that type of quality continue in future classes. Athletically, academically, socially and spiritually"

Not that hard. Puffs up program without using deceptive or outright false subjective numbers. And I even mixed in a little Fleck Kool-Aid.

Yep. That would’ve been an excellent comment. Being serious.

What can we say? Other than Coyle may not be the best public speaker.

First of all, he didn't have to say anything. He wasn't asked about recruiting, he offered it himself. But can't he simply say "recuriting is going great" or "PJ has really improved our recruiting" or "we haven't seen this type of recruit here in a long time" or somehting positive without using numbers? I'm not interested in getting in the middle of the liar/not liar debate, but he does seem to get himself into trouble when he talks about recruiting rankings.

He must either think everyone watching is naive or he really doesn't understand it himself. I agree with what others have posted - it would have been better for him to just keep it as more general platitudes about how recruiting is improved.

Exactly! Why even comment on ranking? I would suggest that saying we are a top 25 team when people know we are not hurts the perception of the quality PJ has brought in more than helps it.

I’m honestly surprised with the number of people that wash this away. He made 5 comments, 1 was false and another intentionally deceptive at best. We can ‘justify’ just about anything if we want, but should expect more from our AD.

I don’t believe for a second there was anything accidental or genuine about these 2 statements. Clearly others do.
I’ll leave it at that.

Exactly! Why even comment on ranking? I would suggest that saying we are a top 25 team when people know we are not hurts the perception of the quality PJ has brought in more than helps it.

I’m honestly surprised with the number of people that wash this away. He made 5 comments, 1 was false and another intentionally deceptive at best. We can ‘justify’ just about anything if we want, but should expect more from our AD.

I don’t believe for a second there was anything accidental or genuine about these 2 statements. Clearly others do.
I’ll leave it at that.

The world would be awesome if everyone just agreed with you.

Hey, thanks for starting my Monday off with a smile. You GH’s do realize that Spoofin comes out of Madison? Check his comments after we won the axe, just saying.

Yes, please do check out my comments after we won the axe. Clearly you haven’t. I made the drive, enjoyed the game, and recall making a large number of very positive posts about the team and coach from my hotel room post-game. Just saying.

Pretty sure you're way off base there Pete. I remember him being giddy we won. Find some of those posts though and post here so we know what you're talking about.

Pretty sure you're way off base there Pete. I remember him being giddy we won. Find some of those posts though and post here so we know what you're talking about.

Pete consistently makes claims that are untrue, stupid, and often both.

intentionally deceptive

This is what you want to cling to. I disagree it has been proven that he meant it like that.

It could’ve just been a dumb thing to say. People do say dumb things under pressure, in the moment.

I recorded the spring game and watched it Sunday evening.
When it got to the Coyle interview I had to laugh at his top 25 statement. I agree that it was a playing with numbers dishonest choice that he made.
Once again he has proven to be an absolutely terrible public speaker.

Best part about the Spring Game was the rave reviews the Stanley Jackson and the other announcer were giving the Athletes Village.

This is what you want to cling to. I disagree it has been proven that he meant it like that.

It could’ve just been a dumb thing to say. People do say dumb things under pressure, in the moment.

How is it under pressure? These should be talking points that he spews out several times a week. Finished the season with great momentum, love the the athletes PJ is bringing here to the U of M, program is really on the rise, will contend for BIG West Championships for years to come, blah blah blah

It's not that hard to be truthful and not deceive, and the kicker is that only die hard Gopher football fans are going to watch a spring game....Know your audience!

Super. Isn’t what he meant and isn’t relevant either in April. This is not the first time AD Coyle has used that line. Everyone can go ahead now with the normal “who cares”, etc. posts so they feel better about the fact that our AD feels honesty is optional when speaking to the public. I won’t apologize for wanting him to be.

The AD not being honest when talking in public about football recruiting rankings. I can see how that would be tough on you.

Coyle was dis ingenuous at best! To defend Coyle and his recruiting remarks is absolutely mind boggling!

Actually the ridiculous outrage to Coyle’s recruiting remarks is absolutely mind boggling.

There is so much momentum with the actual team and recruiting - I literally can’t understand why a few people are spending so much time looking for something to nitpick with - Unless they are really dedicated Badger fans attempting to sew discord on our forum. Only explanation I can logically comprehend.

Because with all the momentum this team has, ticket sales are tanking and the Athletic Department's actions to remedy, engage fans, or promote are non-existent. They are simply inept at creating demand and a "fan" culture. Fleck will build a winner with 25k a game attending then be off to a place where the coach is not the sole marketer for the program. Book it.

Because with all the momentum this team has, ticket sales are tanking and the Athletic Department's actions to remedy, engage fans, or promote are non-existent. They are simply inept at creating demand and a "fan" culture. Fleck will build a winner with 25k a game attending then be off to a place where the coach is not the sole marketer for the program. Book it.

The teams that came to TCF last season were boring, other than Iowa homecoming, which had high attendance even though the team got flat out embarrassed by Maryland the game before.

Indiana was a Friday night in the rain. Purdue was Saturday in cold rain. And NW was freezing. About as horse manure conditions as you could ask for, given how little fans care about those teams.

Opener was a thurs night. Fresno was perfect. Miami blazing hot.

You had two good days of football, out of seven, and one of those was an unknown G5 opponent.

If we win more and keep them close, and the game times & weather don’t take another giant dump on us again, then attendance will be back up.

My group keeps getting bigger!

The Gophers signed 3 4-Stars in 2018. They did not sign any in 2019, but have some real nice high 3-Stars. Will their luck turn in 2020? Robb Smith go could have cost the Gophers some higher recruits with the blowouts due to poor defensive performance.

Last edited:

If we win more and keep them close, and the game times & weather don’t take another giant dump on us again, then <b>attendance will be back up.</b>

For PJ’s sake, I hope so. We all know Coyle doesn’t stand for low attendance. He said so and is as trustworthy as honest Abe.

The Gophers signed 3 4-Stars in 2018. They did not sign any in 2019, but have some real nice high 3-Stars. Will their luck turn in 2020? Robb Smith go could have cost the Gophers some higher recruits with the blowouts due to poor defensive performance.

You must be referring to a consensus 4-star or 247's composite because several of the 2019 guys are 4-star on at least one service. The ESPN system is the anchor for most and honestly, that system is garbage for kids outside of the top 200 or so.

The teams that came to TCF last season were boring, other than Iowa homecoming, which had high attendance even though the team got flat out embarrassed by Maryland the game before.

Indiana was a Friday night in the rain. Purdue was Saturday in cold rain. And NW was freezing. About as horse manure conditions as you could ask for, given how little fans care about those teams.

Opener was a thurs night. Fresno was perfect. Miami blazing hot.

You had two good days of football, out of seven, and one of those was an unknown G5 opponent.

If we win more and keep them close, and the game times & weather don’t take another giant dump on us again, then attendance will be back up.

Same old weather/schedule excuses, nice. I made every one of those games and had a great time. I don't see the casual fan coming back until there is consistent winning year over year at an elevated level from the recent past, so in the 8-10 regular season wins range. That would mean a winning conference record.

Top Bottom