Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We keep hearing what a great recruiter PJ is. Indications are he has the potential to be just that. He absolutely deserves credit for landing the IMG lineman - and every recruit he signed. In the same spirit, we don't get to make excuses for every top target he misses on. Landing some of those won't be easy - but that is why we pay PJ far more than any other coach we have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGAIN.... not every school lands all of the top recruits from their state. PJ put in a valiant effort, but you need to know when it is a waste of your time and go get good players that want to be here. Hopefully, the younger players will all want to stay home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highly talented kids have more doors opened to them. Some dreamed of leaving home for one reason or another. You can't force them to stay home. There are some kids that may be persuaded.

As PJ Fleck has mentioned, he only wants kids who want to be Gophers. Maybe someday the Gophers will have more reasons for them to stay home. But, even then kids who want to experience college away from home will leave. You hope that they don't go to Wiscy!

IMHO, the Gophers staff knew early this year that the top two guys are most likely gone. If you look at all the OL offers since February of this year, they are looking at other kids:

Reece McIntyre - OT, 6-5, 290, 0.8516, Buford GA, 2/18/18
Chris Akporoghene - OT, 6-4, 290, 0.8388, IMG Academy, 2/18/18
Joacheim Price - OT, 6-9, 315, 0.8477, Algonquin IL, 2/22/18
Bamidele Olaseni - OT, 6-8, 360, NA, Garden City C.C. KS, 2/23/18
Warren McClendon - OT, 6-5, 290, 0.9085, Brunswick GA, 2/23/18
Ben Coleman - OT, 6-3, 300, 0.8728, Temecula, CA, 2/23/18
Cole Birmingham - OT, 6-4.5, 294, 0.8577, Katy TX, 2/25/18
Nick Broecker - OT, 6-5, 270, 0.8499, Springfield, IL, 3/4/18
Jake Hornibrook - OT, 6-4, 275, 0.8305, Malvern PA, 3/17/18
Ira Henry - OT, 6-5, 320, 0.8527,Saint Louis MO, 1/17/18
Justin Britt - OG, 6-4, 267, 0.8789,Indianapolis IN, 1/26/18
Kyle Jornigan - OG, 6-4, 320, 0.8700, Youngstown OH, 4/26/18
Trevor Strange - OG, 6-3, 272, 0.8165, Coppell TX, 12/14/17
Jaivon Preston - OC, 6-2, 305, NA, Detroit MI, 1/25/18

There hasn't been a lot of offers to MN kids yet other than to Bryce and Quinn. But, I like to believe that there are OL kids that will garner attention between now and NSD. There are bound to be late bloomers some who will surprise.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow 2 JUCO's. I thought Fleck wasn't a JUCO guy

I thought the same thing, but it makes some sense. If I were a DT coming out of HS I probably wouldn’t consider a school that lacks depth at the position. Like OL I would want competition and the ability to grow. Not sure I’d like to come in as a freshman to get the snot kicked out of me. OL and DL make sense to try and redshirt guys. Hopefully building some upper class depth and winning will help future classes.

I thought the same thing, but it makes some sense. If I were a DT coming out of HS I probably wouldn’t consider a school that lacks depth at the position. Like OL I would want competition and the ability to grow. Not sure I’d like to come in as a freshman to get the snot kicked out of me. OL and DL make sense to try and redshirt guys. Hopefully building some upper class depth and winning will help future classes.

Win, win, win! And they will come!

So, the two new DL recruits are going to JC in the fall and coming in January for spring football? Or?

Did you read the post I responded to? Did I say PJ should get them all? I simply reject the principle that we praise him for the ones he gets and we make excuses of things he couldn't control for those we miss. This board likes to act like PJ is a proven high level evaluator and recruiter - truth is that he isn't - not by a long shot..... yet.

Of course I read your post. So are we supposed to start criticizing the ones we gets and constantly moan about the ones we miss? Get real, everything is not so biased nor do we all drink the Kool-Aid. So back up your claim that PJ as not a good evaluator or recruiter.

Of course I read your post. So are we supposed to start criticizing the ones we gets and constantly moan about the ones we miss? Get real, everything is not so biased nor do we all drink the Kool-Aid. So back up your claim that PJ as not a good evaluator or recruiter.

You're just toying with me now. Biased? I am asking for the opposite - giving credit for the ones he gets and making excuses for everyone he doesn't is the opposite of balance (I.e. Biased). My point.

Also, I didn't say he wasn't good I said he wasn't a proven high level recruiter (Quote). That is fact. What is his highest rated class? Dagger.

per Greder:

The Gophers football program received oral commitments from two defensive linemen in the 2019 recruiting class on Saturday. Chris Daniels and Keonte Schad both made announcements they will go from their respective junior colleges to Minnesota next year.

Daniels, of Euless, Texas, redshirted with Texas in 2016 and will come from Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. The 6-foot-2, 335-pound tackle had another offer from Missouri.

“I am bless to say that I am FULLY COMMITTED to The University Of Minnesota,” Daniels tweeted.

Schad, of Madison, Wis., was a freshman at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls, Iowa last fall. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound lineman had other offers from Boise State and Northern Iowa.

“Feeling really elite right now!” Schad tweeted. “Announcing my commitment to The University Of Minnesota”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/...junior-college-defensive-linemen-commit-to-u/

Go Gophers!!

Yes, the basketball and football player Jalen Suggs - #1 recruit in the state in both sports for the 2020 class.

Wrong - Kaden Johnson is the top football recruit for 2020. Per 247.

Excuses?

We keep hearing what a great recruiter PJ is. Indications are he has the potential to be just that. He absolutely deserves credit for landing the IMG lineman - and every recruit he signed. In the same spirit, we don't get to make excuses for every top target he misses on. Landing some of those won't be easy - but that is why we pay PJ far more than any other coach we have ever had.

No one is making excuses. We're all bummed at the announcement. That said, EVERY coach across the country loses players from their state. It happens and we've seen the data to prove it in this thread. You win some, you lose some, and you move on. If this happened with the top 5 MN players every year, we have a problem. This is the first miss so I'll give him a pass. Fleck acknowledged he may not be for everyone and he is right.

Fleck makes more than any other coach we have had because of inflation and impatient fans like us around the country who call for their coach's head and drive the going rate for coaches salaries higher and higher because the current coach hasn't won us a title.

Barring unforeseen circumstances Carroll was going to ride the pine for a long time behind Faalele.

No one is making excuses. We're all bummed at the announcement. That said, EVERY coach across the country loses players from their state. It happens and we've seen the data to prove it in this thread. You win some, you lose some, and you move on. If this happened with the top 5 MN players every year, we have a problem. This is the first miss so I'll give him a pass. Fleck acknowledged he may not be for everyone and he is right.

Of course we win some lose some. I don't get worked up on recruits we do get/don't get. I trust the coaches to get the best players that fit their system that want to come here. I have never ripped on PJ as a recruiter (unless you think saying he is not a proven high level recruiter yet a shot, I don't) as I think he will prove out to be very good. I have also been very complimentary of his classes thus far.

I object to the excuses being given when he misses. You say no one is doing that, yet I think you are....
<b>Have you been following of the recruiting for these two? Both players sound like they were not major Gopher fans growing up. Both are opting to play for their dream teams who also happen to have a better overall track record AND a better track record for sending linemen to the NFL. </b>If you mark Fleck down for these two then you have to give major props to him for getting the two big boys from FL.

If that isn't making excuses then I read it wrong, and still am reading it wrong.

Of course we win some lose some. I don't get worked up on recruits we do get/don't get. I trust the coaches to get the best players that fit their system that want to come here. I have never ripped on PJ as a recruiter (unless you think saying he is not a proven high level recruiter yet a shot, I don't) as I think he will prove out to be very good. I have also been very complimentary of his classes thus far.

I object to the excuses being given when he misses. You say no one is doing that, yet I think you are....

If that isn't making excuses then I read it wrong, and still am reading it wrong.

Come on now, the way you put it was a clear rip at his recruiting ability (#868):
“This board likes to act like PJ is a proven high level evaluator and recruiter - truth is that he isn't - not by a long shot..... yet.”

Come on now, the way you put it was a clear rip at his recruiting ability (#868):
“This board likes to act like PJ is a proven high level evaluator and recruiter - truth is that he isn't - not by a long shot..... yet.”

No, that is fact. PJ is not a proven high level recruiter yet. Do you disagree?

Excuses or Justification?

I am not an English major but I take excuse to mean a blatant attempt at absolving of responsibility to avoid consequences. Excuses are usually applied as a way to rationalize some transgression or negative result due to something that should have been within their control. Excuses are usually fabricated and not entirely supported by fact.

I think most GopherHolers are simply justifying the results based on the facts at hand. This is a simple acknowledgement of the realities of the situation. Decisions made by teen football players are outside of one's control.

I may have misread your initial comment but I took it as snarky and another example of the typical message board tactic of using one singular action to reflect a body of work. Fleck missed on one person (possibly two) and you are suggesting he is not a good recruiter. I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

No, that is fact. PJ is not a proven high level recruiter yet. Do you disagree?

I disagree. PJ has proven he is a high level recruiter by out recruiting the entire MAC during his tenure at WM. He put several of those recruits into the NFL with high round picks.

He has already improved the Gophers level of recruiting from it's dismal lows...

How long does it take to "prove" high level recruiting in your world Spoofin?

Maybe a track record like Meyer or Saban? Of course they have tOSU and Alabama to recruit to... I could be a high level recruiter in that scenario....

Could be PJ is a better recruiter than either of those two and you'd never know it because "high level" recruits automatically go to these helmet schools...

I am not an English major but I take excuse to mean a blatant attempt at absolving of responsibility to avoid consequences. Excuses are usually applied as a way to rationalize some transgression or negative result due to something that should have been within their control. Excuses are usually fabricated and not entirely supported by fact.

I think most GopherHolers are simply justifying the results based on the facts at hand. This is a simple acknowledgement of the realities of the situation. Decisions made by teen football players are outside of one's control.

I may have misread your initial comment but I took it as snarky and another example of the typical message board tactic of using one singular action to reflect a body of work. Fleck missed on one person (possibly two) and you are suggesting he is not a good recruiter. I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

Well, maybe we both misunderstood each other.

FTR - I don't think PJ has proven he is a high level recruiter. No facts to support that. However, I have never been anything but positive about his recruiting to date and belief that he can be a high level recruiter. The sensitivity on this site to anything that isn't heart and soul blubbering over PJ still astounds me.

Anyone see that one of our recent 2 commits is originally from Madison WI. Doubt Badgers recruited him but gotta love taking recruits from badger territory.

Top Bottom