Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

As a fan, I would overpay (give a scholarship) to not have to worry about every kick going sideways, literally and figuratively. If we can get somebody who supposedly will make field goals at an above average rate, give him a scholarship. It's a lot better than going out there with the game on the line with a walk-on who we aren't as confident about.

You're assuming that you don't have to worry about it if they are on scholarship.

We have a scholarship punter now, but our punting situation seems pretty up in the air.

"Iowa cancelled," huh.

Sounds to me like a "you can't fire me, because I quit," scenario.

He probably told them that he's got a new favorite, and it's no longer Iowa. Or, Iowa found out from a ND or MN source that he's choosing them. Clearly, they didn't decide they no longer want one of the best RB prospects in the class out of the blue. They're trying to get out in front of it so it doesn't look like they lost a recruiting a battle for a top priority.

My guess is it's already a done deal to Notre Dame and he's telling coaches. Could be wrong, but that seems like Occam's Razor given the timeline.

Actually what I read in the Register was he cancelled. Probably because ND entered the picture and IA has a policy of no further OV after you commit. Or perhaps IA became disinterested after signing a JUCO with 3 years. Also sounds as if they are a lock on a running back from Georgia. Regardless it looks like Brock has narrowed down his choices to the Gophers ,NW, and now perhaps the Domers.

Regardless it looks like Brock has narrowed down his choices to the Gophers ,NW, and now perhaps the Domers.

247 - Irish Tom Loy
The first Crystal Ball Prediction of Jirehl Brock to Minnesota.

Interesting.

247 - Irish Tom Loy
The first Crystal Ball Prediction is Jirehl Brock to Minnesota.

Interesting.

Was just going to post this. May change with an OV but Brock may not be a take for ND right now plus all indications are he had a good visit here so I guess it’s just a waiting game. Loy seems pretty plugged in so that is an exciting one.

Agreed. If people are bothered about Ks, Ps, and LSs getting scholarships, why not every other player who rides the pine and/or strictly plays special teams? The K, P, and LS are much more important than some individual 3rd string CB punt gunner (just a hyporthical example) who gets a scholarship.

If people are bothered, it must mean things are going well special teams-wise. The sentiment would prbably be different if we recently had a K miss a chip shot, or a long snapper sail one, with time expiring for the win against Iowa or Wisconsin.

BINGO!!!

Was just going to post this. May change with an OV but Brock may not be a take for ND right now plus all indications are he had a good visit here so I guess it’s just a waiting game. Loy seems pretty plugged in so that is an exciting one.

His OV with Iowa State, originally scheduled for today, has been pushed back to Friday. No word on an OV to ND yet.

per Sid:

• Blanchard, Okla., receiver Jamie Nance has offers from Oklahoma, Nebraska and TCU, but after a visit here with Gophers coach P.J. Fleck he said that “Minnesota is looking elite.” That is the kind of player that Fleck is bringing in, and the Gophers have the 19th-ranked recruiting class in 2019 and fourth in the Big Ten behind Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, according to 247Sports.com.

http://www.startribune.com/taste-of-bad-finish-in-2017-lingers-for-vikings-defense/485750372/

Go Gophers!!

You're assuming that you don't have to worry about it if they are on scholarship.

We have a scholarship punter now, but our punting situation seems pretty up in the air.

I'm assuming a scholarship kicker is going to be better than a kicker that does not earn a scholarship. I might not always be right, but i'm probably right at least 51% of the time.

Agreed. If people are bothered about Ks, Ps, and LSs getting scholarships, why not every other player who rides the pine and/or strictly plays special teams? The K, P, and LS are much more important than some individual 3rd string CB punt gunner (just a hyporthical example) who gets a scholarship.

If people are bothered, it must mean things are going well special teams-wise. The sentiment would prbably be different if we recently had a K miss a chip shot, or a long snapper sail one, with time expiring for the win against Iowa or Wisconsin.

If we offer an o-lineman or a LB, I hope we are predicting they have the talent to eventually be a starter. If not, I would question why that player would be given an offer in the first place.

Kickers, punters and long snappers can usually be identified as walk-ons and then offered a scholarship. They aren't any more of a sure thing than any position player. I forget the name of the punter that Brewster got and raved about - he was supposedly unbelievable in practice but got the yips during live games and ended up shanking almost all of his punts.

Was he Australian?
If we offer an o-lineman or a LB, I hope we are predicting they have the talent to eventually be a starter. If not, I would question why that player would be given an offer in the first place.

Kickers, punters and long snappers can usually be identified as walk-ons and then offered a scholarship. They aren't any more of a sure thing than any position player. I forget the name of the punter that Brewster got and raved about - he was supposedly unbelievable in practice but got the yips during live games and ended up shanking almost all of his punts.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming a scholarship kicker is going to be better than a kicker that does not earn a scholarship. I might not always be right, but i'm probably right at least 51% of the time.

Even if this were true, it'd actually be exactly my point.

You are willing to give up 2% (if it were 49%, it'd be better to just go with the walk-on) chance of having a better kicker rather than another skill player.

I agree with this take. You definitely don't want too many scholarships tied up by kickers/punters, and I've never seen a scholarship given out to a long snapper by the gophers.

I believe Jordan has had a scholarship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it means anything in regards to us, was just a nice picture of the two of them that he used that happened to be when he was visiting.

Perhaps. It's still an interesting pic. I'm sure he has photos from other visits he could have used. It feels like him using this one has to mean something. We'll see.

We are now at 17 commits, with only 6-7 open spots remaining assuming 23-24 total for this class: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

It seems like the priorities should be:

RB - 1 (Brock would seem to be the favorite, not sure why we would need to take more than 1 RB this class)
WR - 2 (Nnamdi, Mosely, McCray would seem to be the top targets; I think we need at least 2 WRs in every class)
OL - 2 (Guedet is the only commit; I think you need at least 3 OL in every class).

That's 5 players right there at positions that seem to be essential for completing the class. So that leaves us with 1-2 more scholarships. We don't have any TE commits and I'm not sure that we have had any visit. We seem to want 1 more DT, which is likely to be either Blisset or Gibson. We're probably done at LB. We have 2 corners and TJ Robinson at safety, it seems like getting one more safety would be a priority.

We are now at 17 commits, with only 6-7 open spots remaining assuming 23-24 total for this class: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

RB - 1 (Brock would seem to be the favorite, not sure why we would need to take more than 1 RB this class)
WR - 2 (Nnamdi, Mosely, McCray would seem to be the top targets; I think we need at least 2 WRs in every class)
OL - 2 (Guedet is the only commit; I think you need at least 3 OL in every class).

That's 5 players right there at positions that seem to be essential for completing the class. So that leaves us with 1-2 more scholarships. We don't have any TE commits and I'm not sure that we have had any visit. We seem to want 1 more DT, which is likely to be either Blisset or Gibson. We're probably done at LB. We have 2 corners and TJ Robinson at safety, it seems like getting one more safety would be a priority.

We need a holder for field goals -- gotta get back to that "holder of the year" caliber of player.

I think we sign 25.

1 - RB
2 - WR
2 - OL
1 - DT
1 - S

Last scholarship? Best player willing to commit to us.

For me, Jason Williamson is an important variable. Will he turn out to be a RB, a strong safety, or a LB? For my purposes, I'm seeing him as a strong safety. I'd say that the huge needs are RB: 1, WR: 2, and OL: 1. If that leaves 3 open spots, I'd simply be patient, trying to sign 3 players with great potential, without being overly concerned about position.. At this point, I'm thinking about at RB Doerue, at TE Deveney, and at DL Blissett. If PJ can surprise us with somebody like Jermaine Johnson or Benhart, even better.

Don't forget about Jamie Nance (WR from Oklahoma).

For me, Jason Williamson is an important variable. Will he turn out to be a RB, a strong safety, or a LB? For my purposes, I'm seeing him as a strong safety. I'd say that the huge needs are RB: 1, WR: 2, and OL: 1. If that leaves 3 open spots, I'd simply be patient, trying to sign 3 players with great potential, without being overly concerned about position.. At this point, I'm thinking about at RB Doerue, at TE Deveney, and at DL Blissett. If PJ can surprise us with somebody like Jermaine Johnson or Benhart, even better.

It's a close call. I think he probably ends up at LBer. I think he is already about the size of Josh Aune. He looked quite a bit larger than Cole Kramer when they both committed (Kramer is 6'1" 187), so I'd guess Williamson was 6'2" 195 as a HS JR. I think he probably ends up being about 6'2"/6'3" and 210 lbs when he is a FR here.

It's a close call. I think he probably ends up at LBer. I think he is already about the size of Josh Aune. He looked quite a bit larger than Cole Kramer when they both committed (Kramer is 6'1" 187), so I'd guess Williamson was 6'2" 195 as a HS JR. I think he probably ends up being about 6'2"/6'3" and 210 lbs when he is a FR here.
He reminds me of John Shevlin who came from Eastview 10 plus years ago. Shevlin was really fast but it took him a while to grow man muscles and become a solid LB.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've heared Wiley wants to commit but I'm assuming he is plan B at RB and coaches are telling him to wait until they know what Brock is doing?

What is the latest news on Benhart and when he will announce?

Tre Mosley is visiting today. Burns tweeted that we have 4 visitors on campus. It'll come out soon enough, does anyone know who the other 3 are?

I've heared Wiley wants to commit but I'm assuming he is plan B at RB and coaches are telling him to wait until they know what Brock is doing?

What is the latest news on Benhart and when he will announce?

This comes down to a matter of philosophy. In my book, if you make a valid offer to a recruit, and the recruit says he wants to commit, you take him. If he's good enough to offer, he's good enough to be on your team. Plus, with all the negative recruiting that goes on, if a school made a habit of telling kids, "you can't commit yet - we're waiting on another kid we like better to make up his mind," and that got out, you can bet other schools will use it against you.

Top Bottom