Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I'd take as many players who are skilled and can run a sub 10.5 100 all day long. That's plenty fast I don't care who you are.

Bad thing is that is exactly what you said. Read your own post again.

No, it isn't. He inserted a qualifier that entirely changed the meaning of the phrase and then pretended that was what I said, which is also what you're doing now.

First of all, I don't need anyone to speak for me, least of all you.

Second, my (accurate) take is that obviously fake times are fake. There are a small handful of HS football players in the country each year who run a 4.45 40, and they have many high-level options of where to go to school. Terell Smith wasn't the 4.45 mentioned above (though I'm sure you knew that), but he is probably one of the few who could do it. He nearly won the 100 m in the fastest state in the country. He had offers from schools like Florida, Michigan St., and Ole Miss. Joshua Youngblood (who ran the "4.45" mentioned above, which again I'm sure you knew) has offers from Minnesota and a bunch of low-level FBS and FCS schools. He doesn't run a 4.45.

Finally, why are you lumping in 10.32 with high 9s/low 10s and acting like those are close to each other? A time of 10.32 isn't in the realm of the ballpark of close to world-class speed. Your ignorant comment is essentially equivalent to saying that a golfer who shoots a 74 at the local muni is thisclose to playing in the Masters.

Which state would that be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_high_school_national_records_in_track_and_field

Wut wut? He's got 67% GA, 33% NE lean on his Crystal Ball.

Well, it’s pretty hard to beat ELITE. Might as well shift those crystal balls 100% Minnesota!!! Row that Boat Jermaine, Row that Boat!!!

He should see a doctor.

Heretic pagans. Where does one obtain one of these pagan “crystal balls”? Are these powerful balls similar to the legendary powers of the mesoamerican (German) crystal skulls (capable of enabling visions, curing cancer, and magical properties capable of killing a man, and even premonitions of the John F. Kennedy assassination - it’s all true I read it)? Can the seers at 247 hold a conclave and join in circle their crystal balls to reincarnate Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, or Tracy Claeys?

my question on speed: is it "track" speed or functional speed? Can the player cut, juke and maintain speed? Can the player run fast while carrying a football with one or more large angry people chasing him? And can they run fast while surveying the field and finding a running lane or angle?

raw speed is great, up to a point. But, there are a lot of really fast people who were not great football players. There are also a lot of really great football players who are not Olympic-caliber sprinters. And there are a few really rare people who are both great football players and run really fast. They are rare, because there aren't many of them. You don't have to be the fastest runner in the world to play football - you just have to be one step faster than the guy who's chasing you.

agreed acceleration/first step quickness, footwork, agility, and vision/reads are more important than speed but at same time you need to be fast to play cornerback or you won’t make it.

Are we attempting to fully corner the marking on DL this year? We are going to recruit other positions still, right?

I do hope we get Jermaine, that would just about wrap up one heck of a DL recruiting season. Apparently PJ and company aren't in love with our current set of options for the future. I dig it.

We'd like to have more depth at defense at a minimum. At 6' 6" 240 lbs, Jermaine Johnson would be a nice addition.

my question on speed: is it "track" speed or functional speed? Can the player cut, juke and maintain speed? Can the player run fast while carrying a football with one or more large angry people chasing him? And can they run fast while surveying the field and finding a running lane or angle?

raw speed is great, up to a point. But, there are a lot of really fast people who were not great football players. There are also a lot of really great football players who are not Olympic-caliber sprinters. And there are a few really rare people who are both great football players and run really fast. They are rare, because there aren't many of them. You don't have to be the fastest runner in the world to play football - you just have to be one step faster than the guy who's chasing you.

Agree. I'll add have good instincts/ make good reads quickly.

It all depends on if it is hand timed or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per Greder:

Early assessments of the Gophers football 2019 recruiting class have been positive, despite the U’s primary target and the top in-state recruit picking Notre Dame live on television last month.

Eight days after Edina offensive tackle Quinn Carroll announced he was giving an oral commitment to the Fighting Irish, Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck received a pivotal pledge from a top-rated player in his home state of Illinois, defensive end Jason Bargy.

Bargy now headlines Fleck’s first 11 commits for 2019, and his inclusion pushes the group higher into the top 25-ranked classes nationwide at an early stage in the recruiting cycle, according to rivals.com and 247sports.com.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/...y-returns-positive-for-2019-recruiting-class/

Go Gophers!!

Our JUCO LB commit McCullough may not be committed much longer. Just got an offer from home state Maryland and because he was a full qualifier out of high school, he can come in as part of the '18 class for them. We signed a full class of 25 so even if we had open spots, he still couldn't be part of our '18 class.

Ryan James flipped his prediction for Bryce Benhart to Wisconsin, which is now listed as “warmer” for him.

per Randy:

On May 1, those watching the 10 o'clock news might have thought the sky was falling when it comes to Gophers football recruiting.

Edina junior offensive tackle Quinn Carroll, the top-ranked Minnesota recruit in the Class of 2019, announced live on KARE-TV that he had chosen Notre Dame over the Gophers, among others. Angst quickly followed, with a "Here we go again" theme emerging as another big one got away.

But if you look a little deeper, you will see that coach P.J. Fleck and his staff are having a solid recruiting spring. As of Friday, the Gophers had 11 verbal commitments for the Class of 2019 — the most among Big Ten teams — and recruiting website 247Sports.com rates the Gophers' class 18th nationally and fourth in the Big Ten. That ranking will fluctuate as teams add or lose commitments, but Minnesota's quick start follows the Class of 2018 that ranked among the top 25 in December.

"It's going very well," Fleck said Wednesday during the St. Cloud stop of the Gopher Road Trip. "Kids want to come to Minnesota. You're not just waiting until the very end. People want to be here, and they should."

Josh Helmholdt, a recruiting analyst for Rivals.com, has been impressed.

"Two things I like about what they're doing right now: Not just hitting Chicago but having success with top prospects in Chicago and the general Illinois area," he said. "And supplementing it with JUCO prospects, especially in a situation that Minnesota's in right now — a rebuilding situation."

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...ling-his-gophers-recruiting-bucket/483720331/

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

On May 1, those watching the 10 o'clock news might have thought the sky was falling when it comes to Gophers football recruiting.

Edina junior offensive tackle Quinn Carroll, the top-ranked Minnesota recruit in the Class of 2019, announced live on KARE-TV that he had chosen Notre Dame over the Gophers, among others. Angst quickly followed, with a "Here we go again" theme emerging as another big one got away.

But if you look a little deeper, you will see that coach P.J. Fleck and his staff are having a solid recruiting spring. As of Friday, the Gophers had 11 verbal commitments for the Class of 2019 — the most among Big Ten teams — and recruiting website 247Sports.com rates the Gophers' class 18th nationally and fourth in the Big Ten. That ranking will fluctuate as teams add or lose commitments, but Minnesota's quick start follows the Class of 2018 that ranked among the top 25 in December.

"It's going very well," Fleck said Wednesday during the St. Cloud stop of the Gopher Road Trip. "Kids want to come to Minnesota. You're not just waiting until the very end. People want to be here, and they should."

Josh Helmholdt, a recruiting analyst for Rivals.com, has been impressed.

"Two things I like about what they're doing right now: Not just hitting Chicago but having success with top prospects in Chicago and the general Illinois area," he said. "And supplementing it with JUCO prospects, especially in a situation that Minnesota's in right now — a rebuilding situation."

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...ling-his-gophers-recruiting-bucket/483720331/

Go Gophers!!
Shut up Randy. No one cares where the kid wants to go to school. People care adults used poor judgement, people care that this is not news worthy unless he stayed home. GFY Randy.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Shut up Randy. No one cares where the kid wants to go to school. People care adults used poor judgement, people care that this is not news worthy unless he stayed home. GFY Randy.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

It seemed like a rather positive piece to me.

And here we go again.

Look- I really hope Fleck is as good of a recruiter as people believe. I hope he brings in great players who help the Gophers win a lot of games.

But talking about where the class is ranked on Memorial Day is pointless. it's like talking about who's leading the Boston Marathon at the 5-mile mark. Clue - no one remembers who led the Marathon at the 5-mile mark. They just remember who was leading at the finish line.

And no one remembers who was leading a football game after the 1st quarter. They just remember the final score.

If the Gophers have a top-25 class after National Signing Day, then that is worth cheering.

Yes, getting some early commitments is nice. But those commitments still have to sign a LOI.

The Gophers 2018 class was ranked 38th by 247. Let's see where the 2019 class is ranked. If it's in the top 30, or better, that would be a clear step forward.

And here we go again.

Look- I really hope Fleck is as good of a recruiter as people believe. I hope he brings in great players who help the Gophers win a lot of games.

But talking about where the class is ranked on Memorial Day is pointless. it's like talking about who's leading the Boston Marathon at the 5-mile mark. Clue - no one remembers who led the Marathon at the 5-mile mark. They just remember who was leading at the finish line.

And no one remembers who was leading a football game after the 1st quarter. They just remember the final score.

If the Gophers have a top-25 class after National Signing Day, then that is worth cheering.

Yes, getting some early commitments is nice. But those commitments still have to sign a LOI.

The Gophers 2018 class was ranked 38th by 247. Let's see where the 2019 class is ranked. If it's in the top 30, or better, that would be a clear step forward.

Yes, and there you went again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and there you went again....

Yep, his point was mentioned in the article too.

That ranking will fluctuate as teams add or lose commitments

Heaven forbid we have some off season optimism. Similar to the GPA thread...lets take something positive and nitpick it to death.

And here we go again.

I think a top 35 class would be outstanding. If Fleck recruits multiple top 35 or better classes over the next few years, and stays at Minnesota, I think we’ll see success we haven’t seen in 50 years.

Top Bottom