Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Remember the old days when Gopher recruits also held offers from places like <b>Buffalo, Akron, Texas State, Princeton, Arkansas State, South Alabama, Florida Atlantic, </b>and so on...? I'd pull up a player profile on the internet and see all of the other offers along with some very low-budget team logos. I like how things are now.:)

How can you create a list of schools that our recruits used to often hold offers from and not include Western Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember the old days when Gopher recruits also held offers from places like Buffalo, Akron, Texas State, Princeton, Arkansas State, South Alabama, Florida Atlantic, and so on...? I'd pull up a player profile on the internet and see all of the other offers along with some very low-budget team logos. I like how things are now.:)

We have always recruited players with other Power 5 offers.

I think after tomorrow we can focus solely on next years class. PJ will have all players signed. MIGHT be one open spot for Fields when he transfers or a few other 5 stars I’m sure are begging for a spot here.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This needs to stop. Burns is supposed to be better than this. Where you are ranked on early signing day is meaningless. You don't get to claim you graduated top of the class because you have the best midterm grade.

We have always recruited players with other Power 5 offers.

while true, you must admit many of our current recruits have more teams interested from P5 schools.

In the end, I had no issue with Kill's system, he sought out specific recruits and coached them up. They even admitted their strategy was to target under recruited kids, some of Kill's best players were low rated recruits. My only real grudge in Kill recruiting was Qb/Wr

It's more important to recruit with a plan and eye for players that fit your system. PJ is getting results on recruiting trail. Putting it together is next step

STrib: Gophers recruit Logan Richter trading grayshirt for maroon

At 6-4, 291 pounds, Logan Richter coming out of nowhere is a little hard to imagine.

And yet, that's exactly what the defensive tackle did in March 2017, at a junior day recruiting event, when Gophers coach P.J. Fleck offered him a scholarship on the spot.

Richter's size and athleticism were the attention grabbers. He was an unheralded recruit from Perham, a northwestern Minnesota town with a population of about 3,000. Pegged for last December's Gophers recruiting class, Richter faded into obscurity again by "grayshirting" the 2018 season, postponing his arrival at the U.

For the past year, the 18-year-old has again been largely forgotten. But that's about to change again Wednesday, when he finally signs his national letter of intent.

Grayshirting is a practice coaches mainly employ to push a scholarship to the next class, if a program is full on signing day. The Gophers reached the maximum 25 signees last year without Richter, and their class will be close to full again this year. After he initially committed, Richter said he realized he needed more time to develop.

"I was 17 at the time, and I was young and just wanted to take time to better myself," Richter said. "It felt to me it was the best thing to take a semester off. But now that the time's come, I feel I'm ready to compete at that level and hang out with all the guys and meet everybody."

The defensive lineman — who could get moved to the offensive line, given his size — said he'll arrive on campus Jan. 16 to officially enroll and prepare for spring football. Since graduating from Perham this past spring, he's been keeping busy but lying low. He worked for his dad's dock and boat lift business, when he wasn't training for college football.

Richter's friend and former Perham teammate Anthony Dahl said Richter lifts every day and has really taken football seriously these past couple months.

"He's a big, powerful, powerful man," Richter's high school coach Kyle Knutson said. "A lot of natural strength. He didn't really commit a lot of time to the weight room when he was younger. ... For a guy that's his size, he's got tremendously quick feet."

While Richter might have a lot to prove on the football field, he's actually most looking forward to just picking up the friendships he started to make with his original recruiting class.

"Guys there are working hard every day," Richter said. "I feel the need to do the same."

After a year spent idle from football, he'll soon immerse himself in Fleck's program.

"My time will come," Richter said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ding-grayshirt-for-maroon-and-gold/503062171/

Go Gophers!!

Remember the old days when Gopher recruits also held offers from places like Buffalo, Akron, Texas State, Princeton, Arkansas State, South Alabama, Florida Atlantic, and so on...? I'd pull up a player profile on the internet and see all of the other offers along with some very low-budget team logos. I like how things are now.:)

I like your moniker. Fred was my high-school Sunday school teacher at a church in Buffalo, MN. Super nice guy.

Anyone know if there is a specific time that Dontye Carriere-Williams is announcing today?

Last edited:

Anyone know if there is a specific time that Dontye Carriere-Williams is announcing today?

Sorry, a bit vague. It is either 2:30 or 3:30 p.m. I read it yesterday somewhere and can't remember the correct time.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This needs to stop. Burns is supposed to be better than this. Where you are ranked on early signing day is meaningless. You don't get to claim you graduated top of the class because you have the best midterm grade.

Yeah, it would be a lot easier to get on the hype train if there weren’t these mild misrepresentations from the top on down to the 247 guys. I suppose it’s part of the new sales culture but it rubs the wrong way. PJ has at times said he’s not a numbers guy...but I will guarantee he’s going to be talking about Top XYZ rankings tomorrow despite NSD II down the road.

PJ has increased the recruiting profile of MN, there are a lot of recruits to get excited about, and it’s ok if we don’t sign top 30 classes if the product on the field outperforms their ranking levels.

He's just following the lead of the Athletic Director. When you play fast and loose with the facts, you can frame the discussion however you'd like.

Remember DPO is never wrong. Don’t believe it, just ask him.

I am rarely wrong, but I always admit when I am. On the contrary, you are almost never right and yet have this weird sense of superiority about your near-constant wrongness on virtually every topic.

He's just following the lead of the Athletic Director. When you play fast and loose with the facts, you can frame the discussion however you'd like.

What’s incorrect with what he said? He is using our ranking as of the early signing period, which he clearly states.

What’s incorrect with what he said? He is using our ranking as of the early signing period, which he clearly states.

He is? Here's the full quote:

"Considering the highest finish in the 247 Composite for the #Gophers in this decade before Fleck was hired was 46th in 2016.

Back-to-back top 35 classes when you've won 11 games the last two years is on the right track."

Please notify me where in that statement he mentions anything about the early signing period. Thanks in advance.

He is? Here's the full quote:

"Considering the highest finish in the 247 Composite for the #Gophers in this decade before Fleck was hired was 46th in 2016.

Back-to-back top 35 classes when you've won 11 games the last two years is on the right track."

Please notify me where in that statement he mentions anything about the early signing period. Thanks in advance.

Minnesota at Early Signing Day last year had a top-35 class, just like it's ranked the #33 class in the country currently.
— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsMN) December 18, 2018

Minnesota at Early Signing Day last year had a top-35 class, just like it's ranked the #33 class in the country currently.
— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsMN) December 18, 2018

That was his response to me calling him out, dummy.

But that's what was posted on GH. Dummy.

I know you get a hard-on trying to follow me around and catch me being wrong, but just gracefully bow out of the conversation when you don't know what you're talking about.

Go Gophers!!

He's never been a grayshirt. He's walking on his first year.

Taking you at your word that you work in the football office - how many total signees are we planning to take this year? (That is, not counting Udoibok and Cooper because they will walk on.) Looking at actual signees right now, we're at 21. How many total will we end with this cycle? Can we expect changes among the current signees? Do you expect more to commit yet today or tomorrow?

I know you get a hard-on trying to follow me around and catch me being wrong, but just gracefully bow out of the conversation when you don't know what you're talking about.

you're so witty... maybe try posting the correct information on GH. Burns was spot on with the information that was posted here.

Top Bottom