Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

The logistics on how we get to the number of scholarships for the incoming groups will be very interesting to watch this off-season. Seems like we're gonna see at least a few underclassmen transfer in addition to the RS Juniors that are graduating early.

Are the visitors this weekend just for the 2019 class or are some 2020 targets? That seems crazy that we have 10+ guys on campus for what? 3 spots at most? Impressive by Fleck either way.

With it being Official Visits only, I'd think it can only be 2019 kids. The 2020's can't take OVs until April of their senior year. I've seen the number of available slots anywhere from 3 to 6. At this point, I'll just have to trust Fleck & Co have the numbers figured out on their end.

It's not blueshirting - they are both recruited. Blueshirts cannot be recruited, and they are put on scholarship right after the beginning of fall practice their true freshman year.

Ah got it, so it's kind of it's own thing. Basically grey shirting, but unlike a true greyshirt they won't wait a semester to enroll, so they can participate in team activities.?

With it being Official Visits only, I'd think it can only be 2019 kids. The 2020's can't take OVs until April of their senior year. I've seen the number of available slots anywhere from 3 to 6. At this point, I'll just have to trust Fleck & Co have the numbers figured out on their end.

10+ isn't the list much smaller than that?

Something about that doesn’t sound right.

Ah got it, so it's kind of it's own thing. Basically grey shirting, but unlike a true greyshirt they won't wait a semester to enroll, so they can participate in team activities.?

Bingo! It's a newly implemented rule. Howden however will be awarded a scholarship soon and enrolled in the fall thus will count against the 25 per year max. We can't count him back as we signed a full class last year. Most we can sign is 24 and Udoibok and Cooper won't count against this years 25 per year max, or next years 25.

Correct. They can practice, but not play, that first year. If they hold to that, they can count in the following spring's initial counters. If they do play, they have to count in the year they signed.

Correct. They can practice, but not play, that first year. If they hold to that, they can count in the following spring's initial counters. If they do play, they have to count in the year they signed.

Can someone define and explain all these terms? PWO, Red-shirt, Gray-Shirt, how it affects scholarships etc. etc. There seems to be loop holes at time.

What happens when a scholarship player transfers during their freshmen year like that OL did? Believe it was Grant Norton. When can the team distribute that scholarship to another player?

Can someone define and explain all these terms? PWO, Red-shirt, Gray-Shirt, how it affects scholarships etc. etc. There seems to be loop holes at time.

What happens when a scholarship player transfers during their freshmen year like that OL did? Believe it was Grant Norton. When can the team distribute that scholarship to another player?

Greyshirt: A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term. Will count against the annual limit of 25 to the next class.

Blueshirt: The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's annual scholarship total. No OVs, no in home visits, No NLI. Very rare

Greenshirt: Just means early enrollee.

"Maroon Shirt": Can be recruited and take OVs, but pays his own way for the first year, after said first year can be given scholarship without counting towards annual limit of 25 scholarships, but will count towards the 85 total allowed at any time. New rule, implemented around August 2018.

Grant Norton: He and Vic both count towards the annual 25 limit for the 2018 class and that doesn't change and is the reason we can't sign more than 25 this year. Early enrollees can be counted back in the annual limit if there was space in the 2018 class, but we can't because we signed 25. I believe Vics scholarship towards the 85 for this fall was given away, but Grants was not as he started the semester. Grants scholarship won't count against our 85 total starting in January.

This year we can sign only 24 as Jordan Howden will be awarded a scholarship and will have to count against our total 2019 limit. Currently sitting at 22 commits, Udoibok and Cooper are maroon shirting so we can take 4 more as it stands today.

Last edited:

Greyshirt: A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term. Will count against the annual limit of 25 to the next class.

Blueshirt: The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's annual scholarship total. No OVs, no in home visits, No NLI. Very rare

"Maroon Shirt": Can be recruited and take OVs, but pays his own way for the first year, after said first year can be given scholarship without counting towards annual limit of 25 scholarships, but will count towards the 85 total allowed at any time. New rule, implemented around August 2018.

Grant Norton: He and Vic both count towards the annual 25 limit for the 2018 class and that doesn't change and is the reason we can't sign more than 25 this year. Early enrollees can be counted back in the annual limit if there was space in the 2018 class, but we can't because we signed 25. I believe Vics scholarship towards the 85 for this fall was given away, but Grants was not as he started the semester. Grants scholarship won't count against our 85 total starting in January.

This year we can sign only 24 as Jordan Howden will be awarded a scholarship and will have to count against our total 2018 limit. Currently sitting at 22 commits, Udoibok and Cooper are maroon shirting so we can take 4 more as it stands today.

Thanks for some insight.

This year we can sign only 24 as Jordan Howden will be awarded a scholarship and will have to count against our total 2019 limit. Currently sitting at 22 commits, Udoibok and Cooper are maroon shirting so we can take 4 more as it stands today.

This is not the correct thread to do this, so I'm happy to take it to PM or another thread. That said ..... all these rules are such BS. They have that SEC stench all over them.

NCAA needs to just clamp this off and make it simple. You can have 85 scholarship slots on your team at any time. If spots open, then you can fill them. If no spots are open, then you can't fill them. If you can convince a guy to give up his scholarship and/or quit the team, fine that's his decision. If not, then it's your fault for recruiting him and he gets to stay.

NFL rosters are 53, so 85 is more than enough.

The full list of visitors is great. We’d be very happy with every player, but unfortunately we can’t take them all.

Who do you guys want to most of the OV’s/ position of need with the 4 remaining spots?
I’d say:
1. Kristian Williams
2. Darius Robinson
3. Defensive back (don’t know names visiting)
4. Isaiah Hookfin
5 Houston or Brown wr

This could make for a very interesting time given we don’t have spots to take everyone. Do you take the first, lower rated guy to say he wants to commit or do you wait for the bigger fish? Huge weekend in recruiting. Really excited to see how this plays out

This could make for a very interesting time given we don’t have spots to take everyone. Do you take the first, lower rated guy to say he wants to commit or do you wait for the bigger fish? Huge weekend in recruiting. Really excited to see how this plays out

Given PJ's attitude, he takes the first to commit, for better or for worse. I think he tries to sell it as much as possible to the higher rated guys and hopes they commit first, but in the end I think he takes the first to commit.

You people who are worrying about numbers and signing to many kids, relax. You do realize that just because we made an offer doesn’t mean we have to actually sign that kid. If we get a commitment from a much better player in that position we certainly have the right to back off our original offer. It’s not good for our reputation but the coaching staff is obligated to sign the best players, keeping in the restraints set by the NCAA. So in actuality, we have all our slots open. So I think it’s great that we have that many visitors this weekend.

Who do you guys want to most of the OV’s/ position of need with the 4 remaining spots?
I’d say:
1. Kristian Williams
2. Darius Robinson
3. Defensive back (don’t know names visiting)
4. Isaiah Hookfin
5 Houston or Brown wr
I’d say
1. Cheney
2. Hoofkin
3. Houston
4. Williams
5. MJ Anderson
6. Ahmarean Brown
There are also 3 visitors who are committed elsewhere. Although don’t know who they are

I’d say
1. Cheney
2. Hoofkin
3. Houston
4. Williams
5. MJ Anderson
6. Ahmarean Brown
There are also 3 visitors who are committed elsewhere. Although don’t know who they are
ed
As I noted previously. We have ALL our spots open. We haven’t actually signed anyone yet.

Top Bottom