Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Near as I can tell Houston retweeted somebody who said "Row the Boat". Completely overstated by the poster.

Yeh, sorry. I may have been confused on this.

Wait and see if we get more hits tomorrow.
I'm guessing if PJ needs to he'll have a difficult conversation for breakfast.

What about DT Chris Daniels who is a soft commit? Is he still committed to the Gophers?

Don’t forget the axe!;1652335 said:
I cannot wait until Sunday to find out about all of the new commitments!

Listen here rook, we NEVER hear any news until Sundays. It ALWAYS works that way.

Attachments

• 1265.jpg
    1265.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

48 tackles and 7 picks in 10 games I’ll take that. We need coverage guys too. But for sure I want Hoofkin, Williams, Houston, Brown, Anderson and others as well
Not gonna lie I don’t like accepting the juco cb if we could get hookfin or houston. I hope the staff works something out to get one of these guys.

Rumor is Daniels and tj Robinson will recommit from us. We will probs have 4 more commits if those 2 decommit though

Soft commit from Daniels and wasn’t it Schad who was also taking visits recently? I like Schad but perhaps PJ is getting the decommit vibe from him.

You gotta love the period before signing day. Everyone starts becoming about as paranoid as a meth head on a two week high.

Soft commit from Daniels and wasn’t it Schad who was also taking visits recently? I like Schad but perhaps PJ is getting the decommit vibe from him.

You gotta love the period before signing day. Everyone starts becoming about as paranoid as a meth head on a two week high.

Yes Schad recently visited Miss St., his latest tweet was about our juco CB commit.

I think it's more of the "ranking in the 30s is the same as 60s" idea.

The rankings, for now, are higher and that is good. Is Fleck meeting his own expectations three cycles in considering Purdue and Nebraska have zoomed past MN in recruiting? As it stands, MN is 8th in the Big 10 on 247. Can you expect more on the field than what we have seen when we are still firmly in the bottom half in terms of conference recruiting?

The rankings, for now, are higher and that is good. Is Fleck meeting his own expectations three cycles in considering Purdue and Nebraska have zoomed past MN in recruiting? As it stands, MN is 8th in the Big 10 on 247. Can you expect more on the field than what we have seen when we are still firmly in the bottom half in terms of conference recruiting?

Nebraska has “zoomed past us”? They’ve had a higher rated class for the past 4 years (at least) and are sitting at home for the bowl season.

Nebraska has “zoomed past us”? They’ve had a higher rated class for the past 4 years (at least) and are sitting at home for the bowl season.

Nebraska was in downward slide. Frost new this year, yet clearly out recruits Gophers even with new facilities here and a coach who claims a rep as a recruiter. So, IMO, it MN should have had an advantage this year...My point does not change, 8th of 14. Is that tangible improvement???

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska was in downward slide. Frost new this year, yet clearly out recruits Gophers even with new facilities here and a coach who claims a rep as a recruiter. So, IMO, it MN should have had an advantage this year...My point does not change, 8th of 14. Is that tangible improvement???

Nebraska is still Nebraska. They are going to pull recruits based on name and tradition alone. Having Frost gives them a boost on top of that for a little while. But if Fleck can continue upgrading our personnel and win games I don’t see why we couldn’t compete with them on the recruiting trail and on the field as well.

Fleck is a great recruiter. Yeah we were 7th in big ten last year and will be 8th/9th ish this year. But you aren’t going to outrecruit OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin right away. And he’s actually recruiting almost as good as Wisconsin (better last year worse this year)

Besides fleck turned down guys like Bargy who would bring ranking higher but wouldn’t benefit down line

Fleck did not a rep as a recruiter. It was known that he recruited well in the MAC, but most expected he would recruit better than Kill and he has. 8th is considerably better than 12th, 13th, 14th which is where we were finishing pretty regularly.

How about attendance being a major reason that Nebraska does well in recruiting. I found the following on a "Cornhusker" website: "While the Cornhuskers sold more than 90,000 tickets for games against Ohio State, Northwestern, and Iowa that’s not close to what showed up. It turns out fewer than 70,000 people actually went to those games."

That's a problem the Gophers would love to have: selling 90,000 tickets and only 70,000 actually showing up.....and that's when the Nebraska team has a 4-8 (3-6 record), bad enough to get the coach fired.

PJ has shown like he did against Purdue and Wisconsin and a team like Fresno St (who finished ranked) that he can take guys with lesser talent and coach 'em up.
Might have to rely on that if we keep getting out-recruited.

Last edited:

Besides fleck turned down guys like Bargy who would bring ranking higher but wouldn’t benefit down line
Um, everyone in the country will be passing on Bargy. Not a great ethical stand backing out of that one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Um, everyone in the country will be passing on Bargy. Not a great ethical stand backing out of that one.

I agree with your point.
Maybe Goph33 argument however is that in general PJ is going to do a better job of keeping class attrition low. So far we don't know if that will be the case and it's a bit presumptive to think that's the case after only a couple years . But here at the U of M we have had several prominent recruits who never made the field for various reasons. I think the frequency of that was less with Kill and Claeys than prior to that.

That's where the rubber meets the road. If your recruits get in trouble, never see the field, transfer away, that makes you think like losing half our 2015 class did.

PJ has shown like he did against Purdue and Wisconsin and a team like Fresno St (who finished ranked) that he can take guys with lesser talent and coach 'em up.
Might have to rely on that if we keep getting out-recruited.
Perhaps my expectations are just too high for this coach (recruiting-wise). I was expecting the gophers to be a top 25 recruiting program, much like fleck himself has stated. With all there is to offer here I don't see a reason we can't out recruit Iowa, Purdue, and yes, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

It appears PJ will still have to pull a Kill, Mason, etc., and outcoached on the field if the gophers want to legitimately challenge for the west title someday.

Perhaps my expectations are just too high for this coach (recruiting-wise). I was expecting the gophers to be a top 25 recruiting program, much like fleck himself has stated. With all there is to offer here I don't see a reason we can't out recruit Iowa, Purdue, and yes, Wisconsin and Nebraska.

It appears PJ will still have to pull a Kill, Mason, etc., and outcoached on the field if the gophers want to legitimately challenge for the west title someday.

You'll just have to be frustrated then. Frustration = Expectations - Reality

Maybe he improves his classes over time. Maybe last year is as good as it will get. We don't know.

Part of your complaint is based on being Top 25 when we were 60-70's before.
You could be happy that we're top 40, but instead you're disappointed because it's not top 25.

Maybe it's a bit like hoping for a brand new bike because you wrote santa a really good letter this year.

I agree with your point.
Maybe Goph33 argument however is that in general PJ is going to do a better job of keeping class attrition low. So far we don't know if that will be the case and it's a bit presumptive to think that's the case after only a couple years . But here at the U of M we have had several prominent recruits who never made the field for various reasons. I think the frequency of that was less with Kill and Claeys than prior to that.

That's where the rubber meets the road. If your recruits get in trouble, never see the field, transfer away, that makes you think like losing half our 2015 class did.

HS, college, and pro athletes are under the microscope now more than ever.

The thing about Bargy coming out sooner than later let PJ Fleck dodge the proverbial bullet. I hope that Bargy learned from his mistake.

The cost to the U of making a bad recruiting choice and finding out about it later is greater than for schools like talent rich Alabama.

You'll just have to be frustrated then. Frustration = Expectations - Reality

Maybe he improves his classes over time. Maybe last year is as good as it will get. We don't know.

Part of your complaint is based on being Top 25 when we were 60-70's before.
You could be happy that we're top 40, but instead you're disappointed because it's not top 25.

Maybe it's a bit like hoping for a brand new bike because you wrote santa a really good letter this year.
Frustrated? Absolutely. I'm one of the few season ticket holders left (Mason era). Lowering expectations, or never raising them, results in more people at your local Menards on Saturday than at TCF stadium.

So, we can take our 30-40 ranked class and be thankful for the occasional 6-6, 7-5 year. Or, we set our expectations higher and not chest pound over something slightly better than status quo.

Frustrated? Absolutely. I'm one of the few season ticket holders left (Mason era). Lowering expectations, or never raising them, results in more people at your local Menards on Saturday than at TCF stadium.

So, we can take our 30-40 ranked class and be thankful for the occasional 6-6, 7-5 year. Or, we set our expectations higher and not chest pound over something slightly better than status quo.

Pretty soon when we are top 25 you'll be complaining we aren't beating Bama out for 5 stars from Alabama. Most of us aren't that entitled which is a good thing.

Our class was ranked higher than Iowa, Purdue, and Wisconsin last year. Purdue is having a particularly strong year this year, but we had been consistently out recruiting them. At least now we are consistently recruiting on the same level and sometimes better than Iowa and Wisconsin, which was not the norm before Fleck. It will take more success on the field to consistently surpass the likes of Nebraska.

Or we can win with 30-40 ranked classes like Wisconsin and Iowa. Hell NW wins with worse classes than that.

Pretty soon when we are top 25 you'll be complaining we aren't beating Bama out for 5 stars from Alabama. Most of us aren't that entitled which is a good thing.
I'd gladly accept that criticism at that point. Not sure this has anything to do with some sort of entitlement tho...

Well, Fleck isn't going to please everyone all the time.

A lot of different things we can be critical of PJ about.

1. Not winning National Title
2. Not making CFP Final
3. Not getting in CFP.
4. Not winning Big Ten.
5. Not winning Big Ten West
6. Not beating Iowa or Michigan
7. Not ranking top 25 recruiting
8. Not winning bowl game
9. Not playing in a major bowl game
10. Not winning a major bowl game
11. Not winning Rose Bowl
12. Not recruiting a 5-star QB
13. Not keeping top in-state O-lineman
14. Not selling out TCF
15. Not having team GPA over 3.500
16. Not having Gophers on warm sideline during cold games
17. Not having better hair
18. Not having all trophy games won in the same year
19. Not having a top 5 offense
20. Not having top 5 defense
21. No NFL first round picks drafted (not developing his talent)
22. Not doing more in the community
23. Not beating Maryland
24. Not being as good as Jeff Brohm

The list is endless and I put yours at #7 for now. Re-rank however you'd like.

Top Bottom