Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Fortnite is a video game that has blown up and has over 40 million players.

bRNAaS

Once the U's administration sees the material and the violent depiction and scary weaponry they will ban its use.

Where will that leave us?

Sadly not. I remember watching the Orange Bowl and they put up a graphic of the highest paid offensive lineman.
Wisconsin was in the lead by a huge margin, which surprised me. I would think OSU or Alabama would have been higher.
I didn't realized they had that many O-Lineman starting in the NFL and for that much coin.
I am sure that is something they show every offensive line recruit that come through there.

So help me out. Are you saying that if we had different coaches, we would have got them in better shape for the NFL? Or are you saying we need better players did drafted by the NFL? Or perhaps yet the current staff is not capable of coaching up as to the linemen for the NFL?

Love it. This is an example of Minnesota doing the little things to be relevant and interesting. Y’all probably don’t even get the reference but every high school and college aged male in the country understands it.

I know that I'm not nearly as cool and hip as you are (I mean, who could be?), but I just texted my two nephews (one a senior in college, the other a sophomore in high school) and neither one of them has ever heard of Fortnite. I guess they aren't as cool and hip as you either.

I know that I'm not nearly as cool and hip as you are (I mean, who could be?), but I just texted my two nephews (one a senior in college, the other a sophomore in high school) and neither one of them has ever heard of Fortnite. I guess they aren't as cool and hip as you either.

Truer words have never been typed.

It might be the biggest video game of all time among college students. I’ve never seen a craze quite like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ninth grade boys in class are all talking about it.

My ninth grade boys in class are all talking about it.

I have a 9th grade boy and Fortnite is all he thinks, talks, or dreams about.

I wouldn’t expect Mose, Jeb, Cammy or Heindl to know about this game, Dwight.

When he was a senior, I spent most of the Edina/EP game watching his match-up with Quinn Carroll. He consistently beat Carroll with his speed on passing downs, but got manhandled on running plays. Don't take that as anything other than a one-time observation.
We already have two DEs who can do that.

Once the U's administration sees the material and the violent depiction and scary weaponry they will ban its use.

Where will that leave us?
With the entire Football team and coaching staff being expelled by the EOAA...

I have a 9th grade boy and Fortnite is all he thinks, talks, or dreams about.

Governor Matt Bevin is worried about your son...

Who will be the next Gopher commit? Colton's younger brother?

So help me out. Are you saying that if we had different coaches, we would have got them in better shape for the NFL? Or are you saying we need better players did drafted by the NFL? Or perhaps yet the current staff is not capable of coaching up as to the linemen for the NFL?

I don't have all the answers to fix it, I am just agreeing that not every division 1 program puts out top dollar O-line prospects in the NFL. It wouldn't hurt to steal a top flight line recruit from them who ends up a high draft choice. We need to start building some legacies kids can see in their lifetime. Landing Quinn or Benhart would be a nice start. If one of them goes to Wisky and we don't get the other one, that hurts recruiting for the future. Kids follow success. Hopefully Fleck brings that.

I don't have all the answers to fix it, I am just agreeing that not every division 1 program puts out top dollar O-line prospects in the NFL. It wouldn't hurt to steal a top flight line recruit from them who ends up a high draft choice. We need to start building some legacies kids can see in their lifetime. Landing Quinn or Benhart would be a nice start. If one of them goes to Wisky and we don't get the other one, that hurts recruiting for the future. Kids follow success. Hopefully Fleck brings that.

To me it would be a slap in the face if either Quinn or Benhart goes to Wisconsin. These guys know Wisconsin is our rival and to go there, well, almost unforgivable.

Kinda. It is always good to build with the best local players, but if one of the monster freshmen become high draft picks that will start the legacy. If the U produces NFL players, it doesn’t matter much where they went to high school, they are Gophers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't look at it like that. Sure I want these kids to become Gophers, but if they choose somewhere else (heaven forbid it being iowee or beckyville). They are making a life decision that they think is best for them and I hope they have long careers.

To me it would be a slap in the face if either Quinn or Benhart goes to Wisconsin. These guys know Wisconsin is our rival and to go there, well, almost unforgivable.

I think you need to get a life my boy.

I think you need to get a life my boy.

Actually I agree. Unless they are going to go into a field that isn't offered at the U -the only reason they would go the Becky or the place South is because of better football opportunities. Which would be sad.

You can't assume a HS kid bleeds maroon and gold like gh'ers. You'd be surprised how many HS players aren't even moderate NFL football fans; thus, in MN that speaks even worse for the Gophs.

I'd easily put it at 35-40% of hs kids in the 2 different Metro communities I've coached (25 years) aren't even moderate fans of the game. That guesstimate of non-fans are recruitable kids through the last kid off the bench. They aren't simply bench warmers.
It almost seems to me that they are bigger fans in elementary and middle school and don't care as much later. (Lack of noteworthy success in their lifetimes by both the Gophs and Vikes might have something to do with it too.)

Agreed.

Provided "unforgivable" is just internet trash talk type unforgivable.... an order of magnitude below normal unforgivable.

Agreed.

Provided "unforgivable" is just internet trash talk type unforgivable.... an order of magnitude below normal unforgivable.

Must not be known to them that it's unforgivable when many of their transplant classmates think it's cool to go to WI. Let's face it. Much of the metro doesn't want to go here and those that do have to "go against the grain " and stay. Until we start winning, Quinn Carrols of the world will not stay home even when it's a complete slam dunk.

QC, just like Matthew Hurt, isn't coming here. Time to move on to the next target. I'm passed it already.

Must not be known to them that it's unforgivable when many of their transplant classmates think it's cool to go to WI. Let's face it. Much of the metro doesn't want to go here and those that do have to "go against the grain " and stay. Until we start winning, Quinn Carrols of the world will not stay home even when it's a complete slam dunk.

QC, just like Matthew Hurt, isn't coming here. Time to move on to the next target. I'm passed it already.

Either you are nuts or not much of a fan right of the U.

Until the U starts winning, many of our MN HS top players will continue to look at the once in a lifetime opportunity elsewhere either for the college academic reputation/tradition or the perception of increased likelihood of making it to the pros...

Yeah, I'll be very sad if Benhart or Carroll opted to go to Wiscy that's for sure. Life goes on.

Either you are nuts or not much of a fan right of the U.

I'm a diehard! Could be nuts too, LOL!

However, I know the kids (not necessarily athletes) in Minnetonka, Lakeville North, Woodbury. Their friends whose family moved here for jobs easily influence kids " UMN sucks, they haven't been good in so long, get out of the cities, Madison and IC are awesome party schools, too close to parents etc)

Most kids have to go against norms to stay. "The boring kids with no options are the only kids who stay and go here and watch bad sports and live close to mom and dad". They don't see the city life aspect, the job opportunities that other B1G campuses don't offer.

Now Quinn Carroll and mn guys like him, have an subconscious bias they have to fight to go to MN even with his family ties.

Top Bottom