Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

That red shirt of Silver a couple years back is huge right now. PJ was right to plan that and I’m glad he followed through with his plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The joke that keeps on going....

Silver wasn’t that impressive this season. With OJ Smith back, Teague emerging at the end of the year, the addition of Schad, plus the redshirt freshmen and true freshmen that could potentially play, I bet we don’t see much of him on the field.

The joke that keeps on going....

Silver wasn’t that impressive this season. With OJ Smith back, Teague emerging at the end of the year, the addition of Schad, plus the redshirt freshmen and true freshmen that could potentially play, I bet we don’t see much of him on the field.

I think there will be a fight for snaps with Hickox, Silver, Renner.

I'm not sure what to think of Umlor, but I thought he was impressive as a true FR.

The beautiful thing about having so many quality DTs available is that’s one of the few positions you’d like to rotate in/out to keep them fresh. Every one of these guys could see significant playing time.

The success of Purdue this season and last season was in part because they were loaded with DL and DBs and were able to rotate the defense and keep them fresh.

Last edited:

I think there will be a fight for snaps with Hickox, Silver, Renner.

I'm not sure what to think of Umlor, but I thought he was impressive as a true FR.

I heard the plan all along was to give Umlor a redshirt year this season so he could bulk up to play DT. I agree that those four guys will be fighting for playing time. My bet would be it’s for the 4th spot behind Smith, Teague and Schad. Teague was really impressive the last 3 games.

I heard the plan all along was to give Umlor a redshirt year this season so he could bulk up to play DT. I agree that those four guys will be fighting for playing time. My bet would be it’s for the 4th spot behind Smith, Teague and Schad. Teague was really impressive the last 3 games.

Yeah, I hear that was the plan. It's just hard for me mentally pencil him anywhere because he didn't play at all. He was impressive to me as FR and actually had a couple of sacks (I believe?) in the Spring Game.

Absolutely, if they all stay healthy, it's OJ Smith, Teague and Schad as 1,2,3. This is assuming Schad is as good as he seems.

If the Gophers wind up with too much talent at a position, that is a problem I will gladly deal with. And I'm sure the Coaches would gladly deal with it.

Any concerns about grades for the new DL guys?? I always hold my breath because we’ve been burned before. Not to be a Debbie downer...sorry

We'll know by next Wednesday if they are all in the fold. There is always a Plan B. Judging by how fast PJ Fleck replaced Camden Lewis when he decommitted, I am not too worried.

At 5 posts per year you must pass out a lot from holding your breath.

Nice job Oregon...sheesh...who stole your lunch today? No smiley face, no nuthin', just rip a guy so he doesn't post again. Come on man! :eek:

Nice job Oregon...sheesh...who stole your lunch today? No smiley face, no nuthin', just rip a guy so he doesn't post again. Come on man! :eek:

My bad! Too much wine tonight! [emoji6][emoji12][emoji23]

I agree about Udoibok. Great hands. First time I saw him play, he was impressive. Roddy, although not going to be a Gopher, was very good at QB.

Damarion Williams is no longer part of the class. Not sure if he decommitted or if the staff is clearing space for others.

Damarion Williams is no longer part of the class. Not sure if he decommitted or if the staff is clearing space for others.

Interesting. Minnesota still listed as 'favorite' on the 247 site. Seems odd - the only other players with the 'favorite' designation are the PWOs. With multiple offers, including a P5 Washington State offer, I highly doubt he's walking on unless what he said about wanting to play for Fleck is even truer that I thought. Guessing the system just needs to be updated but would be awesome.

I'm okay with that. Looked like a talent, but Durr, T Smith, and Kiondre Thomas all figure to be capable players for multiple years.

I'm okay with that. Looked like a talent, but Durr, T Smith, and Kiondre Thomas all figure to be capable players for multiple years.

Would be nice to have some depth though- not like we often go without injuries in the defensive backfield

Would be nice to have some depth though- not like we often go without injuries in the defensive backfield

We have Williamson as well next year, and Harris for multiple years, both have some experience. Not sure CJ Smith and Estes figure to be CBs or Safeties. Only bringing in Solomon Brown so far this year. I think the depth looks pretty decent.

We have Williamson as well next year, and Harris for multiple years, both have some experience. Not sure CJ Smith and Estes figure to be CBs or Safeties. Only bringing in Solomon Brown so far this year. I think the depth looks pretty decent.

Also Tyler Nubin, unless you're penciling him in at safety.

I feel relatively ok about CB depth. Safety, not so much. Will be interesting if any recruits or current players make the switch. Like that Fleck is bringing in at least two S PWOs to help.

Think I read that Estes was gone?

Interesting. Minnesota still listed as 'favorite' on the 247 site. Seems odd - the only other players with the 'favorite' designation are the PWOs. With multiple offers, including a P5 Washington State offer, I highly doubt he's walking on unless what he said about wanting to play for Fleck is even truer that I thought. Guessing the system just needs to be updated but would be awesome.

He's a JUCO now is listed as warm to UTSA. Trouble with admissions to the U?

There were 24 commits listed, and now down to 23. So if Damarion Williams is out, maybe part of the reason PJ Fleck was not on Sports Huddle in addition to the banquet is that something is cooking between now and the Early NSD.

Maybe there will be an extra surprise or two.

When was the last time the Gophers were suddenly so loaded at a position they had to shuffle people around? When you get prospects like Rashad Cheney and Kristian Williams that suddenly available, you do anything you to get them. The Gophers are recruiting to the highest talent level they can get.

Logan Richter is now listed as OG, that is a position of need. He seems to have the body type. IMHO, you'd like to see 16 to 18 OLs on the roster at any given time counting walk-ons.

Last edited:

That's interesting, he just committed. Being that he's a JC guy, I'm guessing it was an admissions issue. If they want another CB, Dontye Carriere-Williams still hasn't committed.

Top Bottom