Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Per 24/7 he is no longer taking an official here tomorrow, but still listed as visiting. I still feel that he's committing to the U.

Nnamdi is on campus right now. Obviously the next commit. He is a big, solid boy. H back or WR?

per Sid:

Gophers stay hot

The Gophers football team continues to bring in great prospects for the Class of 2019. On Tuesday they had running back Treyson Potts from Williamsport, Pa.; tackle Joacheim Price from Algonquin (Ill.) Jacobs; wide receiver Tre Mosley from West Bloomfield, Mich., and running back Darwin Barlow from Newton, Texas, on campus.

Coach P.J. Fleck continues to impress recruits when he gets them to the U. Potts, who was being recruited by schools such as Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland, committed Wednesday.

The Gophers now rank fourth in the Big Ten in recruiting according to 247 Sports, behind only Ohio State, Michigan and Purdue. They are 20th in the nation and their 18 commitments are tied with Texas A&M for the most of any school in the country.

Look for them to get more commitments before midnight Monday when the NCAA enters a dead zone for recruiting for a month.

http://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-top-pick-possesses-the-skills-team-needs/486222211/

Go Gophers!!

TAMU is currently second in recruiting for 2019 according to Rivals. They have 1 FIVE STAR and 7 FOUR STAR recruits committed. We are not on the same level as Fischer yet.

A couple of visitors on campus today. How confident are we that we will see a Fleck-Signal today?

We will get big time recruit in Nnamdi. I would be completely surprised if it doesn’t happen

Is this now about needing patience? How many more decades and coaches will it take before we attain Wisconsin level expectations? With the new facilities and coach paid in the top 30 nationally, expectations need not take a backseat anymore...Oh to have an Oklahoma State record year after year and look what their AD has for recruiting expectations. I think we are OK to raise the bar here a bit.

Kids from this class will be reevaluated. Should be in the 30's or higher when everything is said and done. As far as composite ratings....they might be similar to Kill's best class....but what should be noticed is that the kids that are committing here have more impressive offer lists, which should be sign of something.

Kids from this class will be reevaluated. Should be in the 30's or higher when everything is said and done. As far as composite ratings....they might be similar to Kill's best class....but what should be noticed is that the kids that are committing here have more impressive offer lists, which should be sign of something.

I agree.
I want kids who have good offers from other P5 schools.
A second top 35-40 recruiting class would be good.
Do that a few years in a row and you should be in good shape.

I would assume re-rating can go both ways? If every fan base and website administrator, eg Goblirsch is lobbying the powers that be to up ratings it seems like there may be a general grade inflation phenomenon as has been seen in academics in recent decades. I think they do try to limit the number of 4 and 5 stars to a pretty rigid level but I’d like to see some longitudinal data on number of 4 stars per year, avg rating of FBS or P5 recruits signing LOIs.

At risk of side-tracking this thread, and I'm sure this has been discussed before on here in numerous threads, but is there a definitive guide to how ratings are awarded?
Please provide the link if so.

Sorry, I'm going to read this.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/how_are_recruiting_rankings_de.html

Strictly relying on film can get you in trouble. You have to have the coaches observe or do live evaluations in camps.
However, there are the Adrian Petersons of this world where there is no doubt about greatness.

Otherwise, Hayo Carpenters happen. It is entirely possible that you get sent a highlight video that looked impressive. But, guess what that may the only good plays the kid had. The rest of the time he was no good.

You'd have to rely on interviews and other people's knowledge about the kid and other form of intelligence to make an informed evaluation.

There is also the worry of ratings inflation. A three star kid in one region of the country may actually be a four star and vice versa.

Here is the 247Sports ratings explanation: https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-Rating-Explanation-81574/

This is a valid discussion about recruiting. I'd rather get a solid three star who've played tough HS competition with lots of other great players that caused him to be underrated than a four star in a lesser HS conference. It is hard to make a generalization because the recruiting landscape has lots of facets.

Is this now about needing patience? How many more decades and coaches will it take before we attain Wisconsin level expectations? With the new facilities and coach paid in the top 30 nationally, expectations need not take a backseat anymore...Oh to have an Oklahoma State record year after year and look what their AD has for recruiting expectations. I think we are OK to raise the bar here a bit.

It will never happen if you ready to throw out a new coach after his first year. The bar has been raised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feel free to enlighten me on what I am missing. Recruiting classes in the 30's and 40's will not win championships. I want Fleck to succeed but my overall point is unless he closes really hard on this class, it will finish in the 40's and that should be a disappointment.

You first talked about wanting to be as good as Wisconsin, now you claim classes in the 30-40’s are not good enough. You do realize that Wisconsin is in that range or worse, right?
https://host.madison.com/wsj/sport...cle_495d5a2b-e2ae-5547-aca5-d6b1d89db2fd.html
Of course, we will have to get even better if we want to compete with OSU consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to Rivals, in the 2018 class there were 33 5-Star players, and 399 4-Stars, with 1,409 3-Star players. there are 129 schools in FBS.
So, if we divided them evenly, that would be 3.1 4-Star players for each FBS team. Obviously, that doesn't happen in real life. Some teams will have more than that, some will have less, and some teams will have none.

in the B1G, again according to Rivals, for the 2018 class, OSU had 3 5-Star and Penn St 2 5-Star. No other B1G teams had a 5-Star Recruit.
For 4-Stars: OSU 18, PSU 16, Neb 9, Mich 7, MSU 5, Mary 6, IA 4, WI 1, MN 3, Ind 1, Pur 0, Ill 3, Rut 0, NW 1.

So, if we take that as representative data, in recruiting, it's the big 2 and everyone else in the conference. Neb, Mich, Mary and MSU are in the next group. then you get IA, MN and Ill, followed by the bottom tier of WI, Ind, NW, Pur and Rut.

Now, that's just one year. Overall, WI belongs at least in the 3rd tier - but they might get the award as the team that outplays their recruiting ranking by the highest margin. If the Gophers want to move up the ladder, they need to get into that group with Neb, Mich & MSU.

I'd like to get in a higher recruiting group than WI and slightly over-coach to your system as WI was able to.

Trying to beat WI at their own game of getting average classes and trying to beat them at their own game is a futile exercise. See Jerry Kill's results against Wisc.

According to Rivals, in the 2018 class there were 33 5-Star players, and 399 4-Stars, with 1,409 3-Star players. there are 129 schools in FBS.
So, if we divided them evenly, that would be 3.1 4-Star players for each FBS team. Obviously, that doesn't happen in real life. Some teams will have more than that, some will have less, and some teams will have none.

in the B1G, again according to Rivals, for the 2018 class, OSU had 3 5-Star and Penn St 2 5-Star. No other B1G teams had a 5-Star Recruit.
For 4-Stars: OSU 18, PSU 16, Neb 9, Mich 7, MSU 5, Mary 6, IA 4, WI 1, MN 3, Ind 1, Pur 0, Ill 3, Rut 0, NW 1.

So, if we take that as representative data, in recruiting, it's the big 2 and everyone else in the conference. Neb, Mich, Mary and MSU are in the next group. then you get IA, MN and Ill, followed by the bottom tier of WI, Ind, NW, Pur and Rut.

Now, that's just one year. Overall, WI belongs at least in the 3rd tier - but they might get the award as the team that outplays their recruiting ranking by the highest margin. If the Gophers want to move up the ladder, they need to get into that group with Neb, Mich & MSU.

Rivals projects about 32 players per class as five star players. They are essentially projecting the first round of the NFL draft four years down the road, according to an interview I heard with one of their recruiting analysts.

I'd like to get in a higher recruiting group than WI and slightly over-coach to your system as WI was able to.

Trying to beat WI at their own game of getting average classes and trying to beat them at their own game is a futile exercise. See Jerry Kill's results against Wisc.

Wisconsin is consistently in the 30's, Kill was in the 50's, so they did recruit better than us

So you think Kill's (and Wisconsin's) plan is target lower rated recruits in lieu of higher rated recruits just for the challenge? Like that's some sort of recruiting strategy that's actually employed? That's absurd.

If Kill could've reeled in classes full of 4 star recruits at this dumpster fire of a program he inherited, clearly he would have. They're getting the best players they're able to get, and trying to make the best football team that they can out of those players.

The garbage that repeatedly gets slung around here about Kill and Claeys, who are long gone now, is both frustratingly ignorant and funny at the same time, somehow.

So you think Kill's (and Wisconsin's) plan is target lower rated recruits in lieu of higher rated recruits just for the challenge? Like that's some sort of recruiting strategy that's actually employed? That's absurd.

If Kill could've reeled in classes full of 4 star recruits at this dumpster fire of a program he inherited, clearly he would have. They're getting the best players they're able to get, and trying to make the best football team that they can out of those players.

The garbage that repeatedly gets slung around here about Kill and Claeys, who are long gone now, is both frustratingly ignorant and funny at the same time, somehow.

Easy bro, opinions not born from group think are generally frowned upon.

I do not disagree, however, my point has been recruiting classes that finish in the 20's can and should now be expected with the facilities, coach, stadium,and opportunities available at the U of M.

Everyone wants high recruits, but not everyone is able to land them.
A lot of men might want a wife who was an MIT graduate, who is a 10 for looks, and is funny and witty who has millionaire parents, but sometimes you fall in love with someone who doesn't fit that description.

The dumpster fire of Brewster seems pretty subjective. I believe the interim coach even won two games with that talent that Brewster brought in.
Kill was excellent at downplaying expectations. When Mason and Brewster were head coach, we competed with WI.

Since Kill took over, we haven't been close with WI.

I do not disagree, however, my point has been recruiting classes that finish in the 20's can and should now be expected with the facilities, coach, stadium,and opportunities available at the U of M.

I think that's the biggest bunch of B.S. I've read in weeks.

Really a nice looking recruiting class in my eyes. Two interesting and totally different QBs, much needed help on DL and now what looks like another big time WR to play with Bateman.
As the team starts to have more success on the field and recruiting should only get better.

Adding Brock to this class and soon could be enough to make a Cornhusker fan go apoplectic.

I think that's the biggest bunch of B.S. I've read in weeks.

Well, apparently PJ disagrees with you. JG on KFAN reported on air a few minutes ago that Fleck told his staff precisely that ("top 25 recruiting classes every year moving forward).

A refreshing outlook to have!

How can we expect that before it has happened? I mean we've had the stadium for a while now. You think a bunch of 4 and 5 stars from all over the country are going to flock here just because we upgrade some facilities, ignoring all the other programs making upgrades? That's ridiculous.

Ask Maryland how they've done with their top 20 recruiting classes. It is not just about finishing in the top 20. More important is good talent evaluation. I don't care if they come into the program as high three stars although we all love to see legit 4 star players.

Adding Brock to this class and soon could be enough to make a Cornhusker fan go apoplectic.

Will Nnamdi's commitment light a fire under Jirehl's feet and commit? The boat is moving and won't wait.

Top Bottom