Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

FWIW, Bryce Benhart finished in 4th place in the Class AAA State Wrestling Tournament at Heavyweight. Lost a 2-1 overtime decision in the 3rd place match. As others noted, no contest with Steveson from Apple Valley. That guy is a freakin' beast. won the state finals on a pin in :17. And a future Gopher. Might be the best Heavyweight the Gophers have had since Brock Lesnar.

I always like to see FB players who wrestle. Wrestling teaches a lot of complimentary skills - footwork, positioning, leverage, etc.

BTW - Trevor Oppedahl of Blue Earth, who is a PWO for the Gophers, finished 3rd at Heavyweight in Class A.

FWIW, Bryce Benhart finished in 4th place in the Class AAA State Wrestling Tournament at Heavyweight. Lost a 2-1 overtime decision in the 3rd place match. As others noted, no contest with Steveson from Apple Valley. That guy is a freakin' beast. won the state finals on a pin in :17. And a future Gopher. Might be the best Heavyweight the Gophers have had since Brock Lesnar.

I always like to see FB players who wrestle. Wrestling teaches a lot of complimentary skills - footwork, positioning, leverage, etc.

BTW - Trevor Oppedahl of Blue Earth, who is a PWO for the Gophers, finished 3rd at Heavyweight in Class A.

When I was in college, the wrestlers were the guys that you didn't want to mess with. No quit in those guys, they get up off the floor until ... well, you know what I mean.

My apologies because this is a football site but I thought I would mention that I think he pinned his opponent in the finals last year in 10 seconds. So that would be two state championship matches that totaled 27 seconds. Maybe the Gophers can talk him into Football for a year when his wrestling career is over. I'm sure there is no chance of red shirting in wrestling.

Imagine him in the jumbo lineup with Faalele, Dunlop, and other monster size linemen.

PJ Fleck is building his house from the foundation up.

For those who are more connected to the insider info...do we expect more dominos to start falling soon? Seems like this class is taking longer to get off the ground than last one. Are we in the mix for bigger fish so they are waiting to make their decision longer than a lower recruited player?

per Sid:

• Of the top five in-state high school football prospects for the Class of 2019, the Gophers have commitments from two of them: Eden Prairie quarterback Cole Kramer (ranked No. 3) and Owatonna athlete Jason Williamson of Owatonna (No. 5). The other three — Edina tackle Quinn Carroll, Lakeville North tackle Bryce Benhart and Maple Grove running back Evan Hull — all have offers from the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/james-rowson-guides-twins-young-hitters-to-success/475744893/

Go Gophers!!

Evan Hull doesn’t have a Gopher offer.

For those who are more connected to the insider info...do we expect more dominos to start falling soon? Seems like this class is taking longer to get off the ground than last one. Are we in the mix for bigger fish so they are waiting to make their decision longer than a lower recruited player?

I think we actually have more commits than we did at this point last year.

I would think with smaller class we wont' be as active early. But that is just my thinking

I would think with smaller class we wont' be as active early. But that is just my thinking

I think it just feels like it's taking us a little longer because of early signing period. We've already had a few months to focus on the 2019 class in terms of recruiting (other years, it would have been two weeks).

That said, I expect this class to be full (25+ kids). I think there will continue to be a bit of turnover. There is always some attrition (3-4 guys) plus we have an entire class of RS FR (almost entire 2017 recruiting class) that will be fighting with some upperclassmen for spots on the depth chart. I think there will likely be more turnover (RS FR jumping JR/SO on the depth chart) than most seasons.

I think it just feels like it's taking us a little longer because of early signing period. We've already had a few months to focus on the 2019 class in terms of recruiting (other years, it would have been two weeks).

Good point

That said, I expect this class to be full (25+ kids). I think there will continue to be a bit of turnover. There is always some attrition (3-4 guys) plus we have an entire class of RS FR (almost entire 2017 recruiting class) that will be fighting with some upperclassmen for spots on the depth chart. I think there will likely be more turnover (RS FR jumping JR/SO on the depth chart) than most seasons.

I think you're right with the early signing period making it seem like things are moving slowly. We actually have about the same number of commits that we had last year...I checked a couple weeks ago I think we technically had like 2 more at this point in 2017 (although I think two of those guys ended up decommitting).

The biggest change this year, though, is that this is the first year we can do official visits in the Spring. I think that is delaying some of the action.

Unless Carroll and Benhart commit early (or give clear signs they won't be signing with the Gophers), my guess is that Fleck will keep a spot (or two) open after the early signing period this time around.

The #1 OT in the country according to 247 was on campus this weekend. https://247sports.com/Player/Devontae-Dobbs-85395

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like he was impressed and somewhat interested. This is a significant step up for our program. Regardless if it is because of the coach/staff or facilities these are very positive signs for the program.

You could be right. I'd be mildly surprised if it was full though, we don't have many spaces. I think we only graduate around 13

#ROWpher19?
I thought I had seen it all......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ROWpher19?
I thought I had seen it all......

Look - I get that you don't like the sayings, phrases, etc. It's a perfectly valid and fair criticism. But are you going to keep doing it as long as he's here? He's not going to change for you or anyone else - doing things the way he does has gotten him to a job that's setting him up with generational wealth. I guess what I'm saying is that it's getting to the point that your constant criticism is starting to be more annoying that the things you're complaining about.

My advice would be to keep it to yourself or to find a different team to follow until Fleck is gone. You don't seem to be enjoying yourself following Fleck's Gophers.

Look - I get that you don't like the sayings, phrases, etc. It's a perfectly valid and fair criticism. But are you going to keep doing it as long as he's here?

Most likely, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely, yes.

I actually really like your posts aside from your whining about P.J., and I think the ignore feature is for cowards, but you're coming perilously close to being the first person on mine - your posts are all variations on the same theme, and you make them multiple times per day. I'm certain that you don't care, but take it for what it's worth.

Unless Carroll and Benhart commit early (or give clear signs they won't be signing with the Gophers), my guess is that Fleck will keep a spot (or two) open after the early signing period this time around.

Gotta think they will commit this summer yo their destination. I see them signing in December to a school. We will most like sign entire class in December again.

Top Bottom