Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Agree on this. And why 2 RB's in this class? We just took Williams and Edmonds, and London/Ibrahim in the class before that. That's 4 freshmen RB's currently on the roster. I'd much rather take one stud back like the 3 listed above and use the additional scholarship on another o-linemen or defensive back.

Two does seem like a lot. But London wasn't a very highly recruited kid and Fleck kept him because he's from MN. Maybe Brooks struggles to ever come back from injury? Maybe Femi-Cole moves on after this year? Who knows, but we do have some question marks after Smith graduates.

I don't know much about Potts but is it possible they are thinking about switching his position? Slot receiver or cb?
Agree on this. And why 2 RB's in this class? We just took Williams and Edmonds, and London/Ibrahim in the class before that. That's 4 freshmen RB's currently on the roster. I'd much rather take one stud back like the 3 listed above and use the additional scholarship on another o-linemen or defensive back.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Cut the kid some slack....he is committing and excited.

Hate Twitter- he is just playing it for what it is.

Hoping he is Rowing the Boat soon!!

Two does seem like a lot. But London wasn't a very highly recruited kid and Fleck kept him because he's from MN. Maybe Brooks struggles to ever come back from injury? Maybe Femi-Cole moves on after this year? Who knows, but we do have some question marks after Smith graduates.

I doubt Brooks ever plays again. If he sees the field next year it's a complete bonus imo. And I also agree with you on JFC.

That still will leave us with 6 sophomore/freshmen RB's next year: London, Ibrahim, Williams, Edmonds, Potts and 1 more. Even if London isn't in the picture, that's still 5. Last year people were disappointed (rightfully so IMO) that McCrary didn't get enough carries as the 3rd string RB. Seems like a situation where 1-2 players are bound to transfer.

Unless Fleck knows that Brock isn't coming here, the Potts commitment is one of the the most confounding commitments yet. If you're going to take 2 RB's, I'd take Barlow and Brock in a heartbeat. Barlow is on campus so you would have to imagine we're being considered. And if Brock isn't swayed by the ND offer, you'd have to assume we are the front runner with him as well.

Unless Fleck knows that Brock isn't coming here, the Potts commitment is one of the the most confounding commitments yet. If you're going to take 2 RB's, I'd take Barlow and Brock in a heartbeat. Barlow is on campus so you would have to imagine we're being considered. And if Brock isn't swayed by the ND offer, you'd have to assume we are the front runner with him as well.

Or you don't know anything about Treyson Potts besides his rating...

I'm not saying he's better than either of those two players but this statement shows that you haven't done any research beyond look at his rating to see how he fits in the recruiting class.

I'm not saying he's better than either of those two players but this statement shows that you haven't done any research beyond look at his rating to see how he fits in the recruiting class.

Guilty on all charges. I'm less than thrilled with a guy that was hoping to earn a camp offer from Maryland.

As per Ryan Burns:

I expect @KirkCiarrocca to move new commit @_treypotts all around the #Gopher offense.

Taking hand offs, jet sweeps, bubble screens, in the slot, etc.

Get the plus athlete in space and let him go.

Guilty on all charges. I'm less than thrilled with a guy that was hoping to earn a camp offer from Maryland.

So you’re against earning offers at camp? You don’t like Rashod Bateman, Braelen Oliver or Thomas Rush?

Potts is an ATHLETE commitment, not a RB....if you watch any of his sophomore tape he plays RB, CB, S and is quite the return man. So he will be used all over the field but I'd guess he ends up in the slot.

He is still receiving interest from Penn State, VT and Maryland. So if his senior season is anything like his Sophomore year his recruitment isn't over.

Potts is an ATHLETE commitment, not a RB....if you watch any of his sophomore tape he plays RB, CB, S and is quite the return man. So he will be used all over the field but I'd guess he ends up in the slot.

He is still receiving interest from Penn State, VT and Maryland. So if his senior season is anything like his Sophomore year his recruitment isn't over.

I understand all of this. I’m not the one that made the comment about being confounded by the commit.

He rushed for over 2,000 as a sophomore but tore his ACL last year. He is now fully healed our coaches our sold on him.

I'm a little leery of players who are identified as "athlete" as opposed to a specific position. Could be Brewster fall-out. I remember he brought in several of the "athlete" guys who never panned out.

In my experience, if a guy is really going to make it as an all-around player - a RB/WR/Slot/wing hybrid, he needs to have speed to burn. You can always find guys who work hard, or guys who run good routes, but having real speed - difference-making speed - that is the "X" factor. That will be something to watch with a kid coming off an ACL.

So you’re against earning offers at camp? You don’t like Rashod Bateman, Braelen Oliver or Thomas Rush?

Hopefully Potts is great. Oliver had a ton of offers prior to committing here.

To the people complaining...

Scouting Report

One word: Versatility. Another word: Athleticism. Potts has both in spades. It’s not difficult to see why offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca would be excited to add an athlete like Potts to his arsenal. He can play running back or wide receiver and thrives in space. Line him up in the backfield, put him at slot receiver, throw a bubble screen, call for a jet sweep, etc. If you want to get creative, Potts is the kind of the player who allows you to open up the playbook. As a sophomore, he rushed for over 2,000 yards and scored 37 touchdowns. Not bad, right? Potts did miss his junior season after tearing his ACL, so it will be important that he has a strong (and healthy) senior season this fall before heading to Minnesota.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...recruiting-2019-treyson-potts-commits-athlete

People for years complained we didn't run enough screens. This guys seems perfect to help diversify the offense.

per Randy:

The 5-10, 182-pounder is a three-star prospect and is the No. 13-ranked all-purpose back nationally in the Class of 2019 by the 247Sports.com composite ratings of major recruiting services. Potts did not play in his junior season because of a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament, but he drew the attention of recruiters when he rushed for 2,017 yards and 37 touchdowns as a sophomore for the Millionaires.

Potts, who made an official visit to the Gophers on Monday, received scholarship offers from nine FBS programs, including Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia and Connecticut. He is the 18th player in the Class of 2019 to commit to coach P.J. Fleck’s program. The Gophers are ranked No. 19 nationally and third in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings.

http://www.startribune.com/pennsylvania-running-back-treyson-potts-commits-to-gophers/486060062/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be happy to get just one of Barlow, Brock, or Doerue. I don't think we are considered the favorite for any of them.

Has the staff seen Potts go full out in a competitive setting post ACL? It would concern me that a guy known for his agility/cutting ability would be getting an offer after that type of major injury more than a straight line speed guy.

TBH I think we are getting nnamdi adim madumere which would be huge getting big time receiver. I also think that we are favorites for Jirehl Brock. Plus i think guys like Jason Williamson and Cole Kramer, and new running back if he comes back healthy are underrated. Also got to keep in mind that kicker and long snapper don’t help out ratings even though they are really good. So average star ranking is deceiving

This class has a higher average player rating than any Kill class, even with a LS and kicker.

Is Cameron Wiley still in play for the Gophers? It sounds like he really wants to commit.

Top Bottom