Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Look - I get that you don't like the sayings, phrases, etc. It's a perfectly valid and fair criticism. But are you going to keep doing it as long as he's here? He's not going to change for you or anyone else - doing things the way he does has gotten him to a job that's setting him up with generational wealth. I guess what I'm saying is that it's getting to the point that your constant criticism is starting to be more annoying that the things you're complaining about.

My advice would be to keep it to yourself or to find a different team to follow until Fleck is gone. You don't seem to be enjoying yourself following Fleck's Gophers.

100000000000000000000000%

Certain people in here just don't understand the concept of marketing your brand. The coach is usually just as important (if not more so) as the school. So a coach having easily identifiable phrases, mottos, etc, makes them stand out in a sea of coaches. If you can't see the advantage of having an easily recognizable, unique brand that sets you apart from the crowd, you just don't get it. I'm just glad we have a coach who does.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Certain people in here just don't understand the concept of marketing your brand. The coach is usually just as important (if not more so) as the school. So a coach having easily identifiable phrases, mottos, etc, makes them stand out in a sea of coaches. If you can't see the advantage of having an easily recognizable, unique brand that sets you apart from the crowd, you just don't get it. I'm just glad we have a coach who does.

Do you really believe that the only people who aren't fans of PJ's catch phrases don't understand marketing your brand?

I believe that it is telling of oneself if you say you understand brand marketing & yet, you still can't stop complaining all day long about Fleck doing the very thing you supposedly understand.

I believe that it is telling of oneself if you say you understand brand marketing & yet, you still can't stop complaining all day long about Fleck doing the very thing you supposedly understand.

If you don't see the difference in what, say, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Etc (true marketing juggernauts) are doing, and what PJ Fleck is doing, Im not sure you understand, either.

Kids make up hashtags to mock their school principal or communicate about the lead character of some vampire love-story. Understanding Twitter doesn't make you Don Draper, for crying out loud. Look around college football, everyone is using Twitter and coming up with clever catch phrases for classes and doing "edits," etc. A guy with an elementary ed degree didn't revolutionize social media marketing concepts, I'm sorry.

What is it with Fleck? The Charisma? Why are people always trying to turn him into some Demi-God bringing enlightenment to us plebs on the the back of a galloping white stallion? A modern Leonardo Da Vinci.

He's just a guy who was good at football and reads a lot of Tony Robbins.

This thread is for 2019 recruiting updates. If you want to discuss brand building we encourage you to start a thread in the OT board. All non-2019 recruiting posts will be deleted.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that the Gophs seem to be putting a new emphasis on recruiting California. Is this because of changes in the coaching staff, or did someone just wake up one day and say "hey, let's start recruiting California harder."

My gut tells me it's due to changes in coaching staff. Each ass't coach seems to have an area they specialize in.

Just checked - only 2 California players on the current roster are Dickson and Vic V.

Interesting that the Gophs seem to be putting a new emphasis on recruiting California. Is this because of changes in the coaching staff, or did someone just wake up one day and say "hey, let's start recruiting California harder."

My gut tells me it's due to changes in coaching staff. Each ass't coach seems to have an area they specialize in.

Just checked - only 2 California players on the current roster are Dickson and Vic V.

I think it's Fleck more than anyone.

If you don't see the difference in what, say, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Etc (true marketing juggernauts) are doing, and what PJ Fleck is doing, Im not sure you understand, either.

Kids make up hashtags to mock their school principal or communicate about the lead character of some vampire love-story. Understanding Twitter doesn't make you Don Draper, for crying out loud. Look around college football, everyone is using Twitter and coming up with clever catch phrases for classes and doing "edits," etc. A guy with an elementary ed degree didn't revolutionize social media marketing concepts, I'm sorry.

What is it with Fleck? The Charisma? Why are people always trying to turn him into some Demi-God bringing enlightenment to us plebs on the the back of a galloping white stallion? A modern Leonardo Da Vinci.

He's just a guy who was good at football and reads a lot of Tony Robbins.
Well, given I'm the general manager of our company's sales/marketing division, I'd say I can spot a quality brand recognition technique when I see it. I'm not saying he's a demi-god, but he's exceptional at what he does. When it comes to sales and marketing, anyone with years in the game, like me, can tell you one truism. That truth being, that some people just have "it" when it comes to selling an idea, an identity & a brand. I can spot a top level salesman when I see one & Fleck has the goods. He may not be everyone's cup of tea. But the proof is in the pudding. His last recruiting class was an impressive one, no way around it. Would you want to go bowling with him?... Maybe not. But step one to a B10 championship is accumulation of a few recruiting classes that are on par with the competition. Step 2(development), has yet to be proven, that is certain. But step one, he has a genuine knack for. Of this, there can be no doubt. I know a lot of you can't get past your Minnesotan sensibilities, that say you shouldn't be loud, confident, outspoken & a dynamo of catch phrases. I get that, as I grew up in Minnesota too. But just because he's energetic, doesn't make him disingenuous. He's the real deal, whether his style is palatable to some in here or not. I see it & more importantly, the kids he's recruiting see it. So just remember that just because someone doesn't carry themselves the way you would, doesn't make them phoney. I'll take a windbag who gets the signature on the dotted line over a nice guy who can't close a deal, any day of the week & twice on Sunday. Bottom line is, in sales/ marketing you judge the ends, not the means. And remember... "Coffee is for closers!" ; )

He’s definitely a good salesmen. Personally I found Brew more entertaining with the facial expressions, motivational talk, and strutting. Good stuff. I hope Fleck has more success as a HC.

I think casting a net where the fishes are is PJ's modus operandi. For the Gophers to eclipse a national recruiting ranking of 30s or better, they certainly are trying to cast a broader net wherever it may take them.

One mention about PJ Fleck's style then I'd go back to 2019 recruiting.

We've been wanting a coach who can sell the program. Now that we a coach who is an assertive recruiter who is a consummate salesman, we trying our darndest to put a negative spin about him. Sit back and relax. Enjoy the ride and think positive thoughts.

Be patient because it will in 2019 and 2020 before we see the fruits of the current rebuilding. Putting together a winning progem in MN will take some time. So far, I like the prospects of achieving success that we've been yearning for quite some time.

He’s definitely a good salesmen. Personally I found Brew more entertaining with the facial expressions, motivational talk, and strutting. Good stuff. I hope Fleck has more success as a HC.

I personally need to see Fleck lying flat on the field like Brew before I'm impressed.

Well, given I'm the general manager of our company's sales/marketing division, I'd say I can spot a quality brand recognition technique when I see it. I'm not saying he's a demi-god, but he's exceptional at what he does. When it comes to sales and marketing, anyone with years in the game, like me, can tell you one truism. That truth being, that some people just have "it" when it comes to selling an idea, an identity & a brand. I can spot a top level salesman when I see one & Fleck has the goods. He may not be everyone's cup of tea. But the proof is in the pudding. His last recruiting class was an impressive one, no way around it. Would you want to go bowling with him?... Maybe not. But step one to a B10 championship is accumulation of a few recruiting classes that are on par with the competition. Step 2(development), has yet to be proven, that is certain. But step one, he has a genuine knack for. Of this, there can be no doubt. I know a lot of you can't get past your Minnesotan sensibilities, that say you shouldn't be loud, confident, outspoken & a dynamo of catch phrases. I get that, as I grew up in Minnesota too. But just because he's energetic, doesn't make him disingenuous. He's the real deal, whether his style is palatable to some in here or not. I see it & more importantly, the kids he's recruiting see it. So just remember that just because someone doesn't carry themselves the way you would, doesn't make them phoney. I'll take a windbag who gets the signature on the dotted line over a nice guy who can't close a deal, any day of the week & twice on Sunday. Bottom line is, in sales/ marketing you judge the ends, not the means. And remember... "Coffee is for closers!" ; )

My issue is that he's not a windbag. He says a lot. If people start listening closely, he says and discloses a lot of information.

1. Some hear the cliche of getting bigger and strong in the weight room. He didn't leave it at that or the imagination. He followed it up with 20lbs. here 35lbs. there etc. He's the first coach I've ever heard quantify getting stronger. One of our last coaches would say "we have better bend."

2. He talked about player buying in and then gave an example of Green discussing other positions to get on the field.

3. He said that the Freshmen OL who are on campus early have "kept their mouths shut."

I see him really opening his culture to the public in what he says and giving examples of what that means in the program. Yes he talks fast and has a level of salesman to him, we'll just have to see what year 2 (I mean 1) brings on the field.

How many hours away is Cali?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious why we haven't offered Jermaine Johnson (former EP kid)? He now has offers from Georgia and Texas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jermaine-Johnson-84835

When he was a senior, I spent most of the Edina/EP game watching his match-up with Quinn Carroll. He consistently beat Carroll with his speed on passing downs, but got manhandled on running plays. Don't take that as anything other than a one-time observation.

Top Bottom