Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Thing for Benhart at the U, there could be a big logjam at OT.

You have potentially Schlueter and Dickson starting for 19 and 20. But you also have Sassack is a RFr with three more years (19-21) and Faalele, York, and Norton all Fr with four more years (19-22).

That might be a deterrent, unless he thought he could beat all of those guys out.

If Benhart is concerned about the depth chart here, I don't know what he's going to think of the other schools'

He's not coming here because he doesn't want to be here, it's not cause he's scared of our depth chart.

You have potentially Schlueter and Dickson starting for 19 and 20. But you also have Sassack is a RFr with three more years (19-21) and Faalele, York, and Norton all Fr with four more years (19-22).

That might be a deterrent, unless he thought he could beat all of those guys out.

If ratings correlate (big if) to ease of getting playing time, he'll have a lot easier time getting to the field at the U than Tennessee or WI. Nebraska on the other hand has had an underwhelming success at recruiting OTs the last several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me say one think - the value of Bryce Benhart is greater in a Gopher's uniform than in any other team's uniform. He will forever endear himself to Gopher fans and the State as one who chose to stay home like Carter Coughlin.

Can you image a line up of any of the following: Benhart, Dickson, Faalele, Dunlop, and Andries? I don't know who will replace Weyler at Center. The future is looking brighter under PJ FLeck.

Let me say one think - the value of Bryce Benhart is greater in a Gopher's uniform than in any other team's uniform. He will forever endear himself to Gopher fans and the State as one who chose to stay home like Carter Coughlin.

Can you image a line up of any of the following: Benhart, Dickson, Faalele, Dunlop, and Andries? I don't know who will replace Weyler at Center. The future is looking brighter under PJ FLeck.

This season his backup is RFr John Michael Schmitz, 6-4 300 which is the same as Weyler. I'm guessing he is the heir apparent.

As I've learned over the years, just because you have names, doesn't mean you have depth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am hoping that PJ Fleck truly meant it when he said the Gophers was a final destination when he took the job.

If he does stay for the long haul, he can build a lasting program the way Iowa and Wisconsin did.

It will help recruiting greatly if there is program stability.

I am hoping that if he does win a Big Ten title someday that he will consider setting roots for his family here permanently. But, I don't know how long he stays here and whether he'd be tempted if someday a Notre Dame or a Michigan comes calling. He did say he wants to stay in the Midwest.

... not sure if you're making a point or just stating some tautology? Yes, every school has OL. You need OL to play football.

I'm making the point that your point was bad.

You listed the fact that we have three OT recruits on the roster as something that could work against us. That implies that is unique to us.

Again, every team has OL on the roster, so your post was dumb. RatherbeGolfing and Oregon Gopher explained it to you, but it was just a really dumb post.

You listed the fact that we have three OT recruits on the roster as something that could work against us. That implies that is unique to us.

Of course it doesn't, and I wasn't making any such point. Also, you (still) can't see the difference between our specific situation and other situations, which was my actual point, even though -- yes, your superfluous and strawman point does still stand that all college football teams do indeed have OT on the roster.

And you have the gall to call someone dumb. Sheesh

Not sure if serious...

Not sure if serious...

You're right. Most high school seniors absolutely don't consider how many players at their position are on the school's roster, immediately in front of them. I bet 247sports doesn't even have a roster tool next the name of the school!

Thanks for straightening that out!

You're right. Most high school seniors absolutely don't consider how many players at their position are on the school's roster, immediately in front of them. I bet 247sports doesn't even have a roster tool next the name of the school!

Thanks for straightening that out!

You seriously can't figure out the problem with your post?

I'm sure you're a great guy, but it was a bad post. Really bad.

With Grant Norton's departure, will they go after an Offensive Lineman or two for the 2019 class?

With Grant Norton's departure, will they go after an Offensive Lineman or two for the 2019 class?

I certainly hope so but we're late in getting reasonable candidates interested in us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seriously can't figure out the problem with your post?

I'm sure you're a great guy, but it was a bad post. Really bad.

The point in of itself was spot on. All other things being equal, a recruit might factor in how much competition is on the roster immediately in front of him, versus a roster with the players more spread out over years.

That's why 247 provides that exact tool, right next to each school's name in the recruiting profile.

Shouldn't be this hard.

NOW, that said, it isn't always all other things equal. That's a different point than what I was making.

I certainly hope so but we're late in getting reasonable candidates interested in us.

If York, Sassack, and/or Faalele pan out, we really won't need more OT until the 2020 class.

But, stuff always happens. It never works out quite how you plan. It's always a game of three hole to plug with two fingers.

The point in of itself was spot on. All other things being equal, a recruit might factor in how much competition is on the roster immediately in front of him, versus a roster with the players more spread out over years.

That's why 247 provides that exact tool, right next to each school's name in the recruiting profile.

Shouldn't be this hard.

NOW, that said, it isn't always all other things equal. That's a different point than what I was making.

Let me spell it out for you.

1. Every Power 5 team has 4-6 OTs on their roster right now.
2. The other teams he's considering also have OTs, some of which are significantly higher rated than ours. And incoming recruits higher-rated than some of ours.
3. The play of our o-line has been less than stellar. The idea that it would scare off a good recruit is laughable.
4. Benhart would be the highest rated O-linemen in our recruiting history. If any recruit in history shouldn't be intimidated by our o-line depth chart, it should be Benhart.
5. If the other players scare Benhart in the slightest, he should probably go to UMD.

Let me spell it out for you.

1. Every Power 5 team has 4-6 OTs on their roster right now.
2. The other teams he's considering also have OTs, some of which are significantly higher rated than ours. And incoming recruits higher-rated than some of ours.
3. The play of our o-line has been less than stellar. The idea that it would scare off a good recruit is laughable.
4. Benhart would be the highest rated O-linemen in our recruiting history. If any recruit in history shouldn't be intimidated by our o-line depth chart, it should be Benhart.
5. If the other players scare Benhart in the slightest, he should probably go to UMD.

As I thought, you're making a completely tangential point to the point I was making. And your #3 is completely irrelevant, as none of those RFr,Fr, or Dickson that would be immediately in front of him have played this year in significant role.

Sure, your point trumps mine. But it doesn't disprove my point in general or make it stupid. You're welcome

As I thought, you're making a completely tangential point to the point I was making. And your #3 is completely irrelevant, as none of those RFr,Fr, or Dickson that would be immediately in front of him have played this year in significant role.

Sure, your point trumps mine. But it doesn't disprove my point in general or make it stupid. You're welcome

You're still beating this drum?

Wow.

PJ mentioned again in his stop at Sensors he’s holding 2 spots open for guys. At this point in the cycle I’m sure he’s placed the offers. One probably has to be Benhart... any ideas on the second?

PJ mentioned again in his stop at Sensors he’s holding 2 spots open for guys. At this point in the cycle I’m sure he’s placed the offers. One probably has to be Benhart... any ideas on the second?

I’d guess it’s a whole lot more than 2 offers out right now tbh. Trolling for big fish

I'm assuming you mean an additional OL or two since we have an OT Guedet and OG Cooper.

I wouldn't be opposed to another lineman or two - wouldn't want to reach though.

It's going to be interesting if Oseland and/or Dovich return next year. I'm just talking out of my @ss but neither is a starter or getting much playing time (currently) and there are youngsters in the pipeline. If they were to both leave, that would leave 14 scholarship lineman next year including the current commits (6 OT, 6 OG, 2 C). Not enough for a 3 deep. I know there will be walkon's as well but still a bit unnerving to think about.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom