Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I'm old-school. I think your word means something. Ergo, if a school extends a scholarship offer to a recruit, and the recruit says he wants to go to that school, that's it. It's done. If the recruit changes his mind before signing a LOI and backs out, then the school is released from its obligation. But, once an offer is made, as long as the recruit stays true to his commitment, then I think he should be guaranteed a spot.

And if some hot-shot, 4-star recruit falls out of a tree at the last minute and says he wants to go to your school - if you don't have a scholarship available, sorry, but you don't get to bump some kid who may not be as good.

If you have doubts about a recruit, then don't make an offer. But once you make the offer, live up to it.

Now, trying to convince players who are already on scholarship that it's time to move on, that's a different matter. we'll save that for another day.

I’d say
1. Cheney
2. Hoofkin
3. Houston
4. Williams
5. MJ Anderson
6. Ahmarean Brown
There are also 3 visitors who are committed elsewhere. Although don’t know who they are

I think I might rather have Williams than Cheney at this point. Cheney has already decomitted from 2 schools, just doesn't seem like a great sign.

I’d say
1. Cheney
2. Hoofkin
3. Houston
4. Williams
5. MJ Anderson
6. Ahmarean Brown
There are also 3 visitors who are committed elsewhere. Although don’t know who they are

Hey Goph 33, what’s your username on GI?

I’d say
1. Cheney
2. Hoofkin
3. Houston
4. Williams
5. MJ Anderson
6. Ahmarean Brown

Oh man, Burnsie is gonna have a big tantrum after people leak that information!

Per Allen Trieu on his Notorious B1G podcast today (open to public)...
He had a very strong feeling we could land D. Robinson DE from Michigan during his visit this weekend. I think he would be a great fit!

That’s a very good point on that I’m with you after you bright that up
I think I might rather have Williams than Cheney at this point. Cheney has already decomitted from 2 schools, just doesn't seem like a great sign.

Per Allen Trieu on his Notorious B1G podcast today (open to public)...
He had a very strong feeling we could land D. Robinson DE from Michigan during his visit this weekend. I think he would be a great fit!

Another note on that podcast, sounds like Michigan St and Illinois are pursuing MJ Anderson, while Fleck is still recruiting him as well. I wonder if Anderson comes back on board, similar to Nolan Edmonds.

I'm old-school. I think your word means something. Ergo, if a school extends a scholarship offer to a recruit, and the recruit says he wants to go to that school, that's it. It's done. If the recruit changes his mind before signing a LOI and backs out, then the school is released from its obligation. But, once an offer is made, as long as the recruit stays true to his commitment, then I think he should be guaranteed a spot.

And if some hot-shot, 4-star recruit falls out of a tree at the last minute and says he wants to go to your school - if you don't have a scholarship available, sorry, but you don't get to bump some kid who may not be as good.

If you have doubts about a recruit, then don't make an offer. But once you make the offer, live up to it.

Now, trying to convince players who are already on scholarship that it's time to move on, that's a different matter. we'll save that for another day.

If a kid can be committed for a year but then suddenly sign elsewhere on signing day, I don't see why a school can't do the same thing.

If a kid can be committed for a year but then suddenly sign elsewhere on signing day, I don't see why a school can't do the same thing.

That's just wrong ....He's a kid and the college is an institution. Colleges have back up plans all the time. A lot of pressure gets put on these kids by the coaches. They can be a bit like a used car salesman. I agree with Shorty on this.

Gophs popped back into the high 30s.

Tyler Nubin, Jacob Clark, JJ Guedet, and Donald Willis all jumped up in national composite ranking. I would assume that means they all got bumps to one of their scores. Looks like the team rating got like a 1-2 point bump?

That's just wrong ....He's a kid and the college is an institution. Colleges have back up plans all the time. A lot of pressure gets put on these kids by the coaches. They can be a bit like a used car salesman. I agree with Shorty on this.

I disagree with both you and shorty. A college football coach gets paid to, amongst other things, WIN football games. If, after offering a scholarship(a player’s has to have an offer in order to commit) and the coach discovers/finds a better choice for that position, for that scholarship, it is in his and the university best interest to rescind that scholarship offer to the first and give it to the new find. Sorry but that’s the way of the world.

I think it depends. If he's a low 3 star OT, for example, and we get a Faalele, we sign Faalele. If it's a 87 vs 88, then keep the kid we originally signed. Needs to be a big bump in talent for us to just give up on a kid. We should also NOT do this to Minnesota kids. Life isn't fair though and if PJ wants to get rid of someone to land someone way better then he should do it. He should also try not to have to do it though, as it is a classless move.

All I can say is do it with class. Be up front and honest. If a kid commits and shuts down his recruiting for you, the right thing to do is honor his commitment. On the other hand if a kid is being dishonest and is secretly looking around, the door is wide open for the staff to see if they can get an upgrade. They are pretty good at finding kids with the right combination of talent and character. Once in a while, it is disappointing like in the case of Jason Bargy. They don't have any choice. They had to sever ties with him.

PJ and his recruiters seem to have a good pulse of what is going on.

I think it depends. If he's a low 3 star OT, for example, and we get a Faalele, we sign Faalele. If it's a 87 vs 88, then keep the kid we originally signed. Needs to be a big bump in talent for us to just give up on a kid. We should also NOT do this to Minnesota kids. Life isn't fair though and if PJ wants to get rid of someone to land someone way better then he should do it. He should also try not to have to do it though, as it is a classless move.

It's up to PJ to decide what to do. Obviously there are benefits and cons. If you never do it, you risk lowering the talent level of the team. Do it too much and you risk your reputation which could also lower the talent level of your team by making kids more hesitant to commit to you. I think a coach could certainly get away with it from time to time.

So if a school develops a reputation for dropping kids at the last minute for better recruits, then it only seems right that every kid that verbals to that school had better keep their options open. Which means every kid keeps looking for better offers, no loyalty either way! I don’t think that is the reputation that the U would want since we count on getting early commitments from rising players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know why this topic is being discussed, but my impression with Fleck is that he is as open and honest with recruits as to where they stand as anyone. If a kid shuts down his recruiting for a school, it’d be incredibly rude to pull an offer close to signing day.

I’d think when an athlete commits, Fleck has a conversation with them along the lines of... Keep communication open, I want you to sign here, I want you to be sure. If you are having second thoughts let’s talk through worries and make sure this is the right choice for you, etc. However, if the athlete is “sneaking” visits in, etc. that changes the dynamic of whether or not their commitment spot is secure.

I also think if a commit communicates with the coach, it also allowed them to make a backup plan and not be left scrambling.

I don’t know why this topic is being discussed, but my impression with Fleck is that he is as open and honest with recruits as to where they stand as anyone. If a kid shuts down his recruiting for a school, it’d be incredibly rude to pull an offer close to signing day.

I’d think when an athlete commits, Fleck has a conversation with them along the lines of... Keep communication open, I want you to sign here, I want you to be sure. If you are having second thoughts let’s talk through worries and make sure this is the right choice for you, etc.

And what exactly is this impression based on?

Recruiting is like dating. They’re looking for the next best thing. Even when the best thing is right in front of them.

The pay site has some awesome insight on the #TwinCitiesTakeover

If things go well, I think the gophers land a couple 4 star recruits this weekend. Pretty excited for the former badger kid. Wouldn’t mind him committing here.

The pay site has some awesome insight on the #TwinCitiesTakeover

If things go well, I think the gophers land a couple 4 star recruits this weekend. Pretty excited for the former badger kid. Wouldn’t mind him committing here.

I'm not paying.
I'll instead wait the 10-24 hours to get the same information via twitter or Gopherhole.

Who do you guys want to most of the OV’s/ position of need with the 4 remaining spots?
I’d say:
1. Kristian Williams
2. Darius Robinson
3. Defensive back (don’t know names visiting)
4. Isaiah Hookfin
5 Houston or Brown wr

1. Houston or Brown
2. Cheney or Williams
3. Hookfin
4. Robinson

Tyler Johnson graduates after next year, and Rashod Bateman may decide to go into the NFL Draft in his Junior year. I'd take whoever commits first in Cheney or Williams. Hookfin is a position of need to shore up our OT situation. My 2 cents.

I like the idea that PJ Fleck constantly upgrades talent and is all for players in certain positions who are ready to play in the Pros to declare early. If you want to attract the creme de la creme, you have to show them that you are putting lots of players in the Pros.

Last edited:

I'm not paying.
I'll instead wait the 10-24 hours to get the same information via twitter or Gopherhole.

Relax dude. You don’t have to pay. I don’t pay for it either. Have a coworker who does and he was showing me some of the names coming in. Sorry to offend you.

If Tyler Johnson goes pro now, I’d take both the receivers who are in for the weekend. Not saying we can just grab both but filling his spot would be necessary. Only reason I think he might go is Burns on Twitter said he would be getting the money soon. Not sure if he meant 2019 or 2020 draft.

Relax dude. You don’t have to pay. I don’t pay for it either. Have a coworker who does and he was showing me some of the names coming in. Sorry to offend you.

Are you guys talking about recruits or hookers?

Top Bottom