Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

My daughter and her family barely missed the snow and ice storm in northern Missouri & Iowa coming home after spending Thanksgiving in the Ozarks in Arkansas. There was a big shutdown on I-35 from northern MO to Iowa.

I didn't think Missouri gets that much snow or ice. I guess I was wrong.

So, recruits from MO should be able to get comfortable and adapt to MN weather fairly quickly.

Why we don't we get many recruits from Missouri? I know it is not Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, or Texas that are the recruiting hotbeds. But, there ought to be some decent hidden gems. After Mo Linguist left for Texas A&M, the momentum in the MO recruiting slowed down a little.

We don’t really get that much snow down here. We get the occasional blast but it’s usually gone within a few days. The big thing down here is freezing rain.

The gophers get more recruits from MO than you think. Max Shortell was a KC suburb guy (over in Kansas). We had another QB that was a kill recruit that left the program after a season but his name escapes me. Mertz is one that got away. There is a lot of talent in the KC area that seems to be unrecruited though. But with Mizzou, KSTATE, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and others nearby there’s a lot of schools to compete with. But I agree, we probably should see some more recruits out of the KC and STL areas.

Kiante Hardin, Colton Beebe, Harrison VanDyne, and Dimonic McKinzy (name I forgot) are some of the recent Missouri kids (a few are Kansas but Kansas City suburbs).

I'd take a guy that started for Wisconsin as an underclassman.

I’d just pass then. If your talking about his playing abilities.

What? Royston would easily be starting on this team and it wouldn't be close. We'd be doing well if every safety we recruit is as good as Royston. What are you even talking about?

I’d just pass then. If your talking about his playing abilities.

Huh?

Royston started every game he played for the U. He was Hon. Mention All Big 10, led the team in tackles and plays a position of desperate need (all while being a zero off-the-field drama).

You sure you'd pass?

KR3 was a class act - on and off the field. Regular readers of this board know that he sacrificed a lot for the “U”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royston was a good player and we’d take more like him, but let’s not get carried away. He definitely wouldn’t be starting over Winfield, and was similar in talent to Huff.

https://twitter.com/b_mc18/status/1069749393329401858?s=21

Rodgers’ High Ben McNaboe has accepted a PWO offer from the Gophers. Looks like a majority of his snaps he lined up at DE.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5635657/Ben-McNaboe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is one big dude. All arms and legs now but If they can put good weight on him, he moves well for a big guy. He could be a good player down the road, definatley has the frame. He passes the eye test, after red shirt building him up in a college weight room, looks to have makings of a D 1 player. I bet this kid earns a scholarship if he works as hard as it looks like he plays.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Got to think that Rashad Cheney still having his twitter background pic of him in gophers locker room staring at the ground is a good sign. Especially considering he’s had an official since and hasn’t changed it. Not saying we get him but still good sign IMO

Minnesota makes scholarship offer to former Badgers CB

The rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin might just be heating up in the P.J. Fleck and Paul Chryst eras.

A few weeks ago, the Gophers snapped a 14-game losing streak to the Badgers. They regained Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time since 2003. The win also pushed Minnesota to 6-6 on the season, earning it a spot in the postseason.

Now, Minnesota is adding a little more fuel to the fire, and to the rivalry.

Monday, Dontye Carriere-Williams announced via Twitter that he received an offer from the Gophers. What’s the problem with that? He’s a former Badger.

Carriere-Williams announced his decision to transfer just days before Wisconsin opened the 2018 season. He spent the year at Independence Community College and is looking for an opportunity to get back into the FBS picture.

In addition to Minnesota, Carriere-Williams has offers from Vanderbilt and Louisville.

Carriere-Williams played in 15 games for Wisconsin in 2017, making five starts. He totaled 30 tackles, seven pass break-ups and an interception.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...-makes-scholarship-offer-to-former-badger-cb/

Go Gophers!!

Our class is sitting 10th in Big Ten and 5th in the West. Hoping for a strong final two weeks. Still like our rankings over previous staffs, but Big Ten is a different animal than the MAC. Next class and season will be huge.

Our class is sitting 10th in Big Ten and 5th in the West. Hoping for a strong final two weeks. Still like our rankings over previous staffs, but Big Ten is a different animal than the MAC. Next class and season will be huge.

I hope so too. We are last in West and 2nd to last in per player ranking though. If that were to keep up and others continue to fill out classes equal to or larger than ours....that's not good. I hope we finish well like last year!!!

That is one big dude. All arms and legs now but If they can put good weight on him, he moves well for a big guy. He could be a good player down the road, definatley has the frame. He passes the eye test, after red shirt building him up in a college weight room, looks to have makings of a D 1 player. I bet this kid earns a scholarship if he works as hard as it looks like he plays.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Very impressive junior year film. Looking forward to following him as a Gopher.

Royston was a good player and we’d take more like him, but let’s not get carried away. He definitely wouldn’t be starting over Winfield, and was similar in talent to Huff.

These two sentences don't really jive.

I don't think Dpo or myself got carried away, we just said exactly what you said in your first sentence. We'd take Royston in a heart beat.

If our recruiting class is in the lower half of Big Ten West, Fleck will have to coach them up like he did to beat Wisconsin.

4-star WR Demariyon Houston decommitted from Texas yesterday:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...r-star-oklahoma-wide-receiver-decommits-texas

according to 247 sports, they have us listed as a "cool" choice, ABOVE OKLAHOMA!
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Demariyon-Houston-103605/RecruitInterests/

they have us above Oklahoma because its in alphabetical order for the same interest level
and if a player had been commited to a team 247 will still list them above the others (which is why Texas is still on top)...much like Jason Bargy interest level we are ranked above all the teams that start with "I". And MJ Anderseon still shows MN on top above Arkansas....and so on

Last edited:

they have us above Oklahoma because its in alphabetical order for the same interest level
and if a player had been commited to a team 247 will still list them above the others (which is why Texas is still on top)...much like Jason Bargy interest level we are ranked above all the teams that start with "I". And MJ Anderseon still shows MN on top above Arkansas....and so on

He has a Gopher offer but not a Sooner offer.. He’s cool to 3 schools Texas, Minnesota and Oklahoma..

If our recruiting class is in the lower half of Big Ten West, Fleck will have to coach them up like he did to beat Wisconsin.

Wonder if Coyle will have him on the hot seat since 2 of the criteria for hiring him were selling tickets and upping the recruiting rankings?

Just slipped into the low 40s...definitely a still solid class though below last year's. It would be nice to get a surprise or two in the next couple weeks. Said it many times...if Fleck can consistently have classes in the 35-45 range there's no reason the Gophs can't challenge for the B1G West on a yearly basis. He wildly surpassed my expectations last year. His ability to sustain it year over year is directly tied to Gophs ability to consistently win at least 8 in the regular season.

Just slipped into the low 40s...definitely a still solid class though below last year's. It would be nice to get a surprise or two in the next couple weeks. Said it many times...if Fleck can consistently have classes in the 35-45 range there's no reason the Gophs can't challenge for the B1G West on a yearly basis. He wildly surpassed my expectations last year. His ability to sustain it year over year is directly tied to Gophs ability to consistently win at least 8 in the regular season.

I think in order for us to take the next jump though, above where Kill or Mason had us, we need to be 35 or better in the rankings on a consistent basis.

Top Bottom