Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

This will probably never happen, but........

why not just let recruits sign a LOI instead of giving a verbal commitment? If a kid is truly decided, and want to end the recruitment process, then sign the LOI and other schools will stop trying to flip him. I'm not sure I see the point of waiting for "signing day" anymore. If I go out and see a car I like, I don't have to wait to buy it. If I'm offered a job, and I want to accept it on the spot, I can do that. So why make recruits wait to sign a LOI?

Granted, that would have risk on both sides. a kid could sign a LOI, and have second thoughts later. Or a school could sign its limit, and have a really good player want to commit late, only to be told, "sorry, no room."

But, if the NCAA wants to take the pressure off the kids who have made up their minds, and stop other schools from trying to get kids to flip, there is a way to do that. just saying.

why not just let recruits sign a LOI instead of giving a verbal commitment? If a kid is truly decided, and want to end the recruitment process, then sign the LOI and other schools will stop trying to flip him. I'm not sure I see the point of waiting for "signing day" anymore. If I go out and see a car I like, I don't have to wait to buy it. If I'm offered a job, and I want to accept it on the spot, I can do that. So why make recruits wait to sign a LOI?

Granted, that would have risk on both sides. a kid could sign a LOI, and have second thoughts later. Or a school could sign its limit, and have a really good player want to commit late, only to be told, "sorry, no room."

But, if the NCAA wants to take the pressure off the kids who have made up their minds, and stop other schools from trying to get kids to flip, there is a way to do that. just saying.

That makes sense, but most of the recruits that are signing LOI are only 17. In other words, it wouldn't mean anything anyway. With NSD, likely 3/4 are 18. For those under 18, Mom and/or Dad (or guardian) need to sign off.

It's a good idea though.

I think with early croots you don't want to look like a jerk locking in a kid who might not even be 18 to something way ahead of time. Is any kid able to make that decision?

I'm guessing it's a balance thing and no matter where you put the line it could be earlier... or later for any number of reasons.

I'm not even sure what that line is supposed to mean. I've seen it used by a lot of croots, maybe is just a tagline or some song lyric.... kids these days listen to a lot of that Jazz stuff, has weird upbeat tempo and strange lyrics...

Kids and there jazz music these days. Going to coffee houses, reciting poetry, and extolling the virtues of Marxism. It's the devil's music I tell you!!!

[/B]

Kids and there jazz music these days. Going to coffee houses, reciting poetry, and extolling the virtues of Marxism. It's the devil's music I tell you!!!

PREACH BROTHER!

297.png

I've been pushing this concept for a while: (1) Recruits should be able to sign any day after Oct 1st of their senior year; (2) They have one week after the signing date before it becomes final; (3) After that one-week time period, the recruit can void the LOI if the head coach leaves; (4) The university can get out of the LOI if the recruit is convicted of a felony that occurs after the signing date and/or the recruit does not qualify for admission to the school; (5) Both parties can void the LOI if both parties agree to do so.

I've been pushing this concept for a while: (1) Recruits should be able to sign any day after Oct 1st of their senior year; (2) They have one week after the signing date before it becomes final; (3) After that one-week time period, the recruit can void the LOI if the head coach leaves; (4) The university can get out of the LOI if the recruit is convicted of a felony that occurs after the signing date and/or the recruit does not qualify for admission to the school; (5) Both parties can void the LOI if both parties agree to do so.

This is far too rational and will therefore never happen.

The big time poachers will never agree to this.

I strongly disagree.
The later the signing day is the better it is for the kids in most cases.

Which one of these Gophers recent 2019 commits is the most likely to be elevated to a 4 Star?

CB Tyler Nubin at 0.8747, DT Keonte Schad at 0.8739, WDE D'vion Harris at 0.8622, Pro QB Jacob Clark at 0.8601.

In the 2018 class, it was Rashod Bateman that was reclassified a 4 Star.

Which one of these Gophers recent 2019 commits is the most likely to be elevated to a 4 Star?

CB Tyler Nubin at 0.8747, DT Keonte Schad at 0.8739, WDE D'vion Harris at 0.8622, Pro QB Jacob Clark at 0.8601.

In the 2018 class, it was Rashod Bateman that was reclassified a 4 Star.

All of them. :cool02:

There already is the early signing period, that was agreed to.

I am alluding to SON's post #1201 about certain recruits signing immediately. There are pitfalls in signings no matter when it is done.

The original NSD and the later recruiting official visits heavily tilt towards the southern schools' favor. MN is already a tough place to recruit to due to its geography and weather reputation.

It is good that they have the early NSD, and now early OVs. Otherwise, last weekend's OVs wouldn't have happened.

They needed to do something to level the recruiting playing field.

I strongly disagree.
The later the signing day is the better it is for the kids in most cases.

Where's your stats on this? I think it's the opposite. A few elite recruits can pick their time and place, the majority of recruits cannot. Offers frequently get made to a recruit and then pulled when a better recruit comes along. And, often offers are not made to a 2-star or 3-star recruit until the university knows if the higher ranked recruits are coming to their school. This leaves all those lesser recruits dangling until the very end of the cycle.

I guess they were the ones treating him as expendable?

Also, winning a recruiting battle with the top 2 recruiting teams would make my head explode.
Nnamdi also has offers from Alabama and Texas A&M. KG gave us a crystal ball for him earlier today.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Also, winning a recruiting battle with the top 2 recruiting teams would make my head explode.

Who knows what the tweet meant, but it's possible.

The Fleck haters won't be excited about beating out Bama and A&M. They will note that he's still just a 3-star recruit like we usually get...

If he wants to come to a place where he is wanted and can be an integral starter, what better place than Minnesota who would appreciate his talent to the fullest.

If he goes to any of the marquee schools, he has much stiffer competition. JC Hassenauer can fill him in the plus and minuses of playing for Alabama. It is not all bad. He got to start a few games later on in his career. He was undrafted, but has signed with the Falcons.

It is all a matter of preference. He won't be a bench player or reserve in MN.

Nope, Fleck favorited that tweet.

If he wants to come to a place where he is wanted and can be an integral starter, what better place than Minnesota who would appreciate his talent to the fullest.

If he goes to any of the marquee schools, he has much stiffer competition. JC Hassenauer can fill him in the plus and minuses of playing for Alabama. It is not all bad. He got to start a few games later on in his career. He was undrafted, but has signed with the Falcons.

It is all a matter of preference. He won't be a bench player or reserve in MN.

VV, Jeff Jones and others have shown us that nothing is guaranteed.

Who knows what the tweet meant, but it's possible.

The Fleck haters won't be excited about beating out Bama and A&M. They will note that he's still just a 3-star recruit like we usually get...

That is my gripe with the star system. You have players of apparently different levels and abilities getting lumped together under the broad title of a "3-star player." Why not a 10-star system? At least that would allow for a little distinction between players. Instead of a big mob of 3-star players, we could have a 5-star versus a 6-star, and we all know 6 is better than 5.

That is my gripe with the star system. You have players of apparently different levels and abilities getting lumped together under the broad title of a "3-star player." Why not a 10-star system? At least that would allow for a little distinction between players. Instead of a big mob of 3-star players, we could have a 5-star versus a 6-star, and we all know 6 is better than 5.

Maybe the star system is spot on ... it just doesn't guarantee results in college...

That's why you don't look at the stars alone. Stars give you a broad idea, then to get a better idea of what scouts actually think of them, you can look at their actual rank or grade. His composite rank is 437 and his grade is 88.17, which is really good. I believe 3 stars range from 80 - 90, so clearly he is almost a 4 star. No need to add extra stars.

Stars don't mean as much to me as offers do. If they have a bunch of quality power 5 offers, that means way more than stars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Look at Rivals and the 247 individual ratings, not the “composite” to get a better feel for where they sit. One can use ESPN as well but they are less, ah, reliable than Rivals or 247. Offers can reflect early promise unrealized like Green or Sitkowski. Late offers are more reliable.

That's why you don't look at the stars alone. Stars give you a broad idea, then to get a better idea of what scouts actually think of them, you can look at their actual rank or grade. His composite rank is 437 and his grade is 88.17, which is really good. I believe 3 stars range from 80 - 90, so clearly he is almost a 4 star. No need to add extra stars.

Yep, ESPN, 247 and Rivals all have a grading scales and position and state rankings that are much more precise than just their star ranking.

Stars don't mean as much to me as offers do. If they have a bunch of quality power 5 offers, that means way more than stars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like to look at both. Sometimes guys will be extremely talented, but will be lightly recruited for various reasons (character or academic issues, possibility of playing a different sport, committed early to dream school and other teams know they don't have a chance, etc.)

Top Bottom