Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Obviously, it takes time to build up to the nation 5 star players. But that doesn't fit your simple logic, so go ahead and run with it.

You're the one who said, "P.J. gets what he wants," not me. So now your argument is that, "In time, P.J. will get what he wants." If that was what you intended to say, you should've just said so in the first place.

(P.S. No one, not even Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, "Get what they want" when it comes to recruiting. People pretend that schools like Alabama, Ohio St., and USC "select" rather than recruit. But the facts are that they still recruit very hard, it's just that they're going for much higher caliber athletes against much better schools. But nobody gets their #1 prospect at every position.)

You're the one who said, "P.J. gets what he wants," not me. So now your argument is that, "In time, P.J. will get what he wants." If that was what you intended to say, you should've just said so in the first place.

(P.S. No one, not even Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, "Get what they want" when it comes to recruiting. People pretend that schools like Alabama, Ohio St., and USC "select" rather than recruit. But the facts are that they still recruit very hard, it's just that they're going for much higher caliber athletes against much better schools. But nobody gets their #1 prospect at every position.)

I guess I would disagree a little. Schools like Alabama, Clemson pretty much get everyone they actually want. And not always "5 star" players. Some players just don't fit into their scheme- Like some QBs. The one thing that is different are the assistant coaches. For example, 5 of the assistants at Clemson were previously recruiting coordinators at other schools. They had already established relationships with high school coaches. They didn't bother with cold calls.

I guess I would disagree a little. Schools like Alabama, Clemson pretty much get everyone they actually want. And not always "5 star" players. Some players just don't fit into their scheme- Like some QBs. The one thing that is different are the assistant coaches. For example, 5 of the assistants at Clemson were previously recruiting coordinators at other schools. They had already established relationships with high school coaches. They didn't bother with cold calls.

What happens when Alabama and Clemson both want the same guy? Pretty sure Todd McStevens, for example, can't go to two schools at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens when Alabama and Clemson both want the same guy? Pretty sure Todd McStevens, for example, can't go to two schools at once.

They just clone him...havent you seen the movie?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is just reducing the argument to semantics (which is where they usually go around here).

Everyone gets what he's trying to say. The top 5-6 schools battle over the top 100 kids, with all of them getting their fair share. Namely: Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Florida State, maybe sprinkle in some USC, etc.

The point is, IMO, these schools don't have to do a whole lot of selling. The kids come to them, basically, and they have to be strategic with their offers, or they're stringer sorting (fisherman will get that reference), which can be bad PR.

Whereas, programs like the Gophers this year throw out 1000 offers and hope a few stick to the wall. Then, fill out the class with the scraps. It's basically the complete opposite in terms of approach.

It's like comparing Bill Gates and Microsoft to your local hardware store owner in terms of entrepreneurship, and saying "they're all just out there trying to make a buck."

This is just reducing the argument to semantics (which is where they usually go around here).

Everyone gets what he's trying to say. The top 5-6 schools battle over the top 100 kids, with all of them getting their fair share. Namely: Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Florida State, maybe sprinkle in some USC, etc.

The point is, IMO, these schools don't have to do a whole lot of selling. The kids come to them, basically, and they have to be strategic with their offers, or they're stringer sorting (fisherman will get that reference), which can be bad PR.

Whereas, programs like the Gophers this year throw out 1000 offers and hope a few stick to the wall. Then, fill out the class with the scraps. It's basically the complete opposite in terms of approach.

It's like comparing Bill Gates and Microsoft to your local hardware store owner in terms of entrepreneurship, and saying "they're all just out there trying to make a buck."

I don't really think it's semantics, it's just a different kind of recruiting. Yes, it's a totally different process than school's like Minnesota but these schools absolutely have to do a whole lot of selling. If Ohio State starts losing to Michigan consistently (on the recruiting trail and on the field), Meyer could be in trouble and vice versa. These schools have razor-thin margins that separates success from failure. Clemson easily could have lost to Louisville, Florida State, Auburn (maybe even Troy) last year. If Clemson went 8-4/9-3 last year. . .that's an obviously different season.

They recruit. They sell do a lot of selling.

It is hard to recruit top tier kids from "the swamps" to the tundra.

We don't have enough funny money to compete with the boggy bag men.

Don't be so juvenile! Don't be so desperate to find an argument.
Obviously he has to temper who we wants for now. The point is that he is going after a much higher level QB then JC transfer.

Don't be so juvenile! Don't be so desperate to find an argument.
Obviously he has to temper who we wants for now. The point is that he is going after a much higher level QB then JC transfer.

Ok - then say so. It isn't hard to say what you mean, and it isn't "juvenile" to expect people to clearly articulate their thoughts.

By the way, here are some JC transfer QBs: Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Josh Heupel, and Josh Allen.

Ok - then say so. It isn't hard to say what you mean, and it isn't "juvenile" to expect people to clearly articulate their thoughts.

By the way, here are some JC transfer QBs: Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Josh Heupel, and Josh Allen.

Good call!

Interesting tidbit on Roger Staubach per Wikipedia:

As a third-class midshipman (sophomore) in 1962, he got his first opportunity to play in the third game of the season, against the University of Minnesota on October 6. He relieved starter Ron Klemick as the Minnesota defense, led by Bobby Bell and Carl Eller, was stifling in its 21–0 victory. Staubach was 0–2 passing and was sacked twice for -24 yards.

per Randy:

Top QB recruit visits

The Gophers’ biggest 2019 recruiting target, junior quarterback Hank Bachmeier of Murrieta Valley High School in Murietta, Calif., was among the visitors for Saturday’s game.

Bachmeier, a four-star recruit, is rated the fourth-best pro style quarterback by 247Sports.com. Fleck flew to California to visit Bachmeier last week. “P.J., two or three times a day, he’s FaceTiming, calling, texting,” Bachmeier told Rivals.com.

Bachmeier visited Colorado last week and has a visit to Boise State scheduled.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...issed-all-or-most-of-maryland-game/448846283/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4-Star QB Hank Bachmeier Loves Minnesota Visit, 'Strongly Considering the Gophers'

Bachmeier, who has family from Minnesota, took an unofficial visit -- his fourth thus far (Boise State, Cal and Colorado) -- over the weekend, two weeks after Fleck visited him in California. And though the Gophers lost their Big Ten opener to Maryland, he walked away impressed, raving about Fleck and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kirk Ciarrocca.

" loved the professional hospitality," he told HERO Sports. "Really related to Coach Kirk from a scheme standpoint . . . they showed me how I fit in."

Minnesota has been dogged by poor quarterback play for years and have never had a player throw for more than 3,000 yards or 25 touchdowns in a season. While their current starter, Conor Rhoda, a former walk-on, has been an upgrade from longtime starter Mitch Leidner, the fifth-year senior threw two interceptions in Saturday's loss.

Bachmeier cited Fleck and the entire university as reasons for an early visit, saying he likes "what's brewing here."

"The program is a sleeping giant as Coach Fleck would say. I can see it. And I believe he will be successful at Minnesota in the future."

If he does commit and sign, he would be their highest-ranked quarterback ever and just their third top-150 recruit since 2005. Bachmeier did not confirm -- or rule out -- an official visit next year, instead saying it's too early to make those plans, but fans will love where the program sits on his priority list.

"I am strongly considering the Gophers," he said.

https://herosports.com/college-football/hank-bachmeier-recruiting-minnesota-considering-gophers-ahah

Go Gophers!!

4-Star QB Hank Bachmeier Loves Minnesota Visit, 'Strongly Considering the Gophers'

Bachmeier, who has family from Minnesota, took an unofficial visit -- his fourth thus far (Boise State, Cal and Colorado) -- over the weekend, two weeks after Fleck visited him in California. And though the Gophers lost their Big Ten opener to Maryland, he walked away impressed, raving about Fleck and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kirk Ciarrocca.

" loved the professional hospitality," he told HERO Sports. "Really related to Coach Kirk from a scheme standpoint . . . they showed me how I fit in."

Minnesota has been dogged by poor quarterback play for years and have never had a player throw for more than 3,000 yards or 25 touchdowns in a season. While their current starter, Conor Rhoda, a former walk-on, has been an upgrade from longtime starter Mitch Leidner, the fifth-year senior threw two interceptions in Saturday's loss.

Bachmeier cited Fleck and the entire university as reasons for an early visit, saying he likes "what's brewing here."

"The program is a sleeping giant as Coach Fleck would say. I can see it. And I believe he will be successful at Minnesota in the future."

If he does commit and sign, he would be their highest-ranked quarterback ever and just their third top-150 recruit since 2005. Bachmeier did not confirm -- or rule out -- an official visit next year, instead saying it's too early to make those plans, but fans will love where the program sits on his priority list.

"I am strongly considering the Gophers," he said.

https://herosports.com/college-football/hank-bachmeier-recruiting-minnesota-considering-gophers-ahah

Go Gophers!!

I really hope he comes here. And Quinn Caroll.

If PJ can get guys like Caroll and Bachmeier I really think he can take us to the next level. That is definitely the plus that PJ brings vs the last coaching staff.

Burns just tweeted the other California kid we offered for the 2019 class is visiting this month maybe hank had a few words with him.. he is a highly touted linebacker

I'm not a crootin expert, but I'd imagine this means the staff isn't all that confident in getting a committment from other QB recruits?

I could see them taking 2 in this class as the writing will probably be on the wall for Croft and Green. Maybe Green moves to TE or something but there's probably a decent chance they both transfer out after spring ball or fall camp next year. Gotta have a back up plan to the back up plan too. They seem to really only be seriously recruiting the Bach, Duggan and now Mertz at QB.

I could see them taking 2 in this class as the writing will probably be on the wall for Croft and Green. Maybe Green moves to TE or something but there's probably a decent chance they both transfer out after spring ball or fall camp next year. Gotta have a back up plan to the back up plan too. They seem to really only be seriously recruiting the Bach, Duggan and now Mertz at QB.

This has no impact on Croft and a little on Green, as the 2019 recruits are 2 years from even being able to play. Croft would be a senior and Green a junior at that time. If Croft can get his act together, he could be the starter both next year and the year after, then Green, Morgan, Armstrong, Roste and whoever they get in the 19 class can battle it out for the starting role.

This has no impact on Croft and a little on Green, as the 2019 recruits are 2 years from even being able to play. Croft would be a senior and Green a junior at that time. If Croft can get his act together, he could be the starter both next year and the year after, then Green, Morgan, Armstrong, Roste and whoever they get in the 19 class can battle it out for the starting role.

I mean writing on the wall in the sense that Fleck is probably going to go with one of his guys after this season. Which in all likelihood will be Morgan and with that would end the dream of starting here for Croft and Green. QBs tend to always transfer out when a young guy wins the job. It's why Rhoda was looking for a job until PJ called him. I know Fleck's a big believer in second chances but the fact Croft got suspended in the middle of a QB battle can't bode well for his future here. So in that case we might take two just from a numbers standpoint.

Top Bottom