Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I've sent 2 maybe 3 tweets to gopher players
All positive, but I still think it was a little strange

so I basically refrain from tweeting recruits, players, etc. I don't even give them a like or retweet

No we should talk about them behind their backs on message boards like normal people.

exactly..

Like when someone asks how you like their "____" and you find it ugly as sin

Looks great

ten minutes later "holy ****, did you see that? ugliest thing on earth"

Not even close to management- yuck! Take care of kids with congenital heart disease.

As for not knowing anything about his situation etc I fully admit that's true. I fully admitted that I had no problem with the kid decommiting to look where the grass may be greener. It's the coming back and making a self-absorbed spectacle of his recommitment that rubs me wrong. If you've looked around and want to come back then great- just announce that after mulling it over you've decided the U is the place to be. We don't need a plea for attention for the ultimate announcement. Then again- that's just my take. I hope he's eventually a great player and more importantly a great ambassador for the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get where you're coming from on this. I'm old, and I don't like it - but this new generation of kids has grown up with the internet, message boards, texting, tweeting, and social media. They basically live their lives on line and in public. and a lot of them (not all) seem to think that everything they do is a big deal, and everyone wants to know about it.

Then, you couple that with the new attitude toward 'commitment.' the word apparently doesn't mean what it used to mean. I propose that instead of verbal commitment, we use the term "verbal declaration." That does not convey the same sense of finality that 'commitment' does.

that way, if a kid gives a verbal declaration, and then changes his mind, instead of "de-commit," we can just say 'rescinded his declaration.'

In short, until they actually sign a letter of intent, it don't mean squat.

You ever notice when a player committed to a particular school tweets out a request for votes for a particular contest like "Player of the Week" FanPolls? I see it pretty often. Seems like kids committed like a little "love" from the fan-base. I've also seen a lot of kids "like" or retweet comments from fans. But to each their own. If you don't approve of commenting to kids, don't do it. If you're OK with it, do so in a positive manner.

I posted a while back regarding frustration with some posters' projected "air of superiority" because they donate money to the university. It's as if their opinion is more valid and their fandom is elevated because they wrote a check.

I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, but thanks for illustrating my point.

Anyone know if safety Jeremiah Ross is on the radar? He recently de-committed from Cinci, and had a gopher offer. Seems like we could use another safety.

You ever notice when a player committed to a particular school tweets out a request for votes for a particular contest like "Player of the Week" FanPolls? I see it pretty often. Seems like kids committed like a little "love" from the fan-base. I've also seen a lot of kids "like" or retweet comments from fans. But to each their own. If you don't approve of commenting to kids, don't do it. If you're OK with it, do so in a positive manner.

Stop being so reasonable!

I do think tweeting at players is strange. I’ve had a couple gophers follow me on Instagram. Likely due to hashtags my wife uses, especially after road games. They’ll like and follow me/us. I think its funny.

I don’t think I’ve ever liked an individual players post. Definitely have liked posts by a gopher team account in regards to a player (player of the week, outstanding game, etc). But I also don’t tweet at pro athletes or anything like that.

I had a friend who played baseball at Valpo. He made a Facebook group encouraging one of Michael Jordan’s kids to attend as they were recruiting him. Can’t rememeber exactly but it was 2006ish. He ended up getting suspended for like 8 games for starting the group.

What about rules for "fans" as he stated....I think everyone is well aware of rules in place for boosters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What the heck is a “booster” anyway? How is a booster and a fan different? Sorry-just noticed the explanations.

One of my players who is being recruited by the Gophers actually enjoys the love from fans on social media.

I tweet at players and recruits. Only positive stuff "Congrats and welcome" etc.

Heard nothing but positive stuff back. Had a brief PM convo with
Alexander Reigelsperger. Very impressed by him. Well spoken guy.

One of my players who is being recruited by the Gophers actually enjoys the love from fans on social media.

Fair enough, and I think people should respect their wishes if they don't want that ..... but it's pretty clear some recruits *want* it. Regardless if you think it's appropriate for an adult who is not technically a "booster" but just a "fan" of a team, to ever tweet at a recruit in any circumstance.

Mods, can this discussion about engaging recruits on Social Media get its own thread? I thought the purpose of this thread is updates on who we are recruiting, who is visiting and who has committed. I feel like it’s gotten hijacked a bit.

Mods, can this discussion about engaging recruits on Social Media get its own thread? I thought the purpose of this thread is updates on who we are recruiting, who is visiting and who has committed. I feel like it’s gotten hijacked a bit.

+1,000,000

Gopherhole thread hijacked by off topic discussion???

BLASPHEMY!!!

Mods, can this discussion about engaging recruits on Social Media get its own thread? <b>I thought the purpose of this thread is updates on who we are recruiting, who is visiting and who has committed. </b>I feel like it’s gotten hijacked a bit.

Please start a new thread for this complaint. Your post has nothing to do with who we are recruiting, who is visiting, or who has committed.

Your complaint has been logged and will be processed in the order that it was received. Your position in queue is currently 666.

Second time this happened in two years.

I think we will see this with fleck a few more times. I think he gets recruits to commit earlier than they would normally and they then have second thoughts. After decommitting and looking around/getting it out of their system, it reaffirms their earlier choice. Not saying all decommits will turn out this way, but i think it might be the reason we've seen it happen twice now with fleck.

Why weird? Do you just mean uncommon? Or something more than that?

Sure uncommon works as well. Just an unusual situation with him committing, then decommitting, not visiting any other school but the school he decomitted from, then committing again.

Top Bottom