Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

As noted, it's a matter of perception and expectations. When Fleck was hired, one of the things we heard repeatedly was that Fleck was a top recruiter - had the best recruiting classes or among the best in his conference.

So, there was a perception, or an expectation, that Fleck would improve recruiting at the U of MN. And that leads to the $64,000 question - how do you define "improvement?"

if the previous coach was recruiting classes ranked in the 50's, and Fleck is recruiting classes ranked in the 40's or 30's, that is an improvement. No question.

Which leads to the next question - is that enough of an improvement to A. make a difference, and B. allow the program to contend for Conference titles?

And that, my friends, remains to be seen. Kill and Claeys showed they could get to an 8-win level by recruiting classes in the 50's and (cliche warning) "coaching them up."

So, for Fleck, two questions remain - 1. can he bring in higher-rated classes - top 30 level or better? and 2. if he falls short of that level, can he take a class in the 40's or lower 30's and "coach them up" enough to get to that 9 or 10-win level. stay tuned.

No question in my mind that consistently recruiting in the 35-45 range gives Fleck and Co the talent to move to that 9-10 regular season range...they had a chance this year. Winning at that level with those class ranks mean an occasional class inside the top 30 is very possible.

Is it bad that it's Sunday afternoon and we only have possibly 3 recruits at this point? Shouldn't there be more?

Is it bad that it's Sunday afternoon and we only have possibly 3 recruits at this point? Shouldn't there be more?

I don't think so. A lot of times stuff doesn't go public until Sunday night or Monday.

As noted, it's a matter of perception and expectations. When Fleck was hired, one of the things we heard repeatedly was that Fleck was a top recruiter - had the best recruiting classes or among the best in his conference.

So, there was a perception, or an expectation, that Fleck would improve recruiting at the U of MN. And that leads to the $64,000 question - how do you define "improvement?"

if the previous coach was recruiting classes ranked in the 50's, and Fleck is recruiting classes ranked in the 40's or 30's, that is an improvement. No question.

Which leads to the next question - is that enough of an improvement to A. make a difference, and B. allow the program to contend for Conference titles?

And that, my friends, remains to be seen. Kill and Claeys showed they could get to an 8-win level by recruiting classes in the 50's and (cliche warning) "coaching them up."

So, for Fleck, two questions remain - 1. can he bring in higher-rated classes - top 30 level or better? and 2. if he falls short of that level, can he take a class in the 40's or lower 30's and "coach them up" enough to get to that 9 or 10-win level. stay tuned.

I'd challenge you to find those 8 win seasons and outline which games they won by "coaching them up" which in this thread has been defined as winning games over teams who out-recruited you.
Illinois, Rutgers, and Purdue, Oregon State... not sure any of these were top 30.

I completely understand those who are sick of waiting for a nationally ranked team that competes for the Big 10 championship however I have a lot more patience than most of the posters. I am 100% on board with Fleck. He has gotten rid of problems in the program, improved the GPA (which credit Kill here too...who did well in this area), gets the players contributing to the community. I don't want to read about former players getting in trouble and I certainly don't want to read about current players getting in trouble but I never get sick of reading that they are contributing to the community and getting good grades. They need to go to school to come out of our program and become men we can be proud of. As far as recruiting goes, we are improving steadily. The big thing different is seems is that they are really getting some playmakers. We see that with some incredible catches Bateman made this year. Although we had some under Kill, it seems while missing out on some Minnesota guys, Fleck is getting some incredible guys who it is easy to imagine will end up in the NFL....and when that happens, more top guys will come here. We are headed the right direction on every front and it is easy for me to see that it is likely we will win more games next year and head to a much better bowl. As long as we are headed in the right direction, I am going to continue to sing Fleck's praises and be thankful that he's our coach.

I was thinking the same thing. I've checked back to this site quite often today to see if we have had any other guys commit.

if by previous coach you mean claeys, i don't think he really had a recruiting class that you can compare. the 2016 class wasn't his (at least not entirely). the 2017 class wasn't his.

for fleck, the 2017 class was 59th (not entirely his own class), the 2018 class was 38th. the 2019 class is currently 34th. if it is true that winning more will bring better recruits, then there is no reason to believe that he shouldn't be bringing in higher rated classes in the future if he continues to improve the record.

minnesota is sitting pretty much exactly where it was after kill's second year (arguably better because minnesota won a rivalry trophy this year). there is no guarantee that fleck's gophers improve next year, but if fleck can get to an 8 win season, then i could his classes move up into the 20s if purdue can do it.

Last edited:

I was thinking the same thing. I've checked back to this site quite often today to see if we have had any other guys commit.

Sounds like a couple guys had good visits but still have other visits.

Also, I'm sure we're getting close to full. Keeping Schad and getting the DT we got yesterday were probably priority #1 and #2.
We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Is today a nothing burger day after the nice day yesterday?

Are they waiting for a thing or two for more recruiting developments?

Is today a nothing burger day after the nice day yesterday?

Are they waiting for a thing or two for more recruiting developments?

I think we will see a Chris Daniels decommit before we got another commit.

Sounds like a couple guys had good visits but still have other visits.

Also, I'm sure we're getting close to full. Keeping Schad and getting the DT we got yesterday were probably priority #1 and #2.
We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Right about Schad and Cheney. I didn't expect Hookfin to commit with a Texas OV coming up or Brown with an Iowa State OV. In addition to Williams with a Missouri OV, I'm not sure if he will actually leave TN. I'm still hoping that Darius Robinson commits soon. If the 2 soft commits leave, that may simply open the door for 2 top prospects, even if they don't play the same positions. I'm still hopeful of adding a WR like Houston or Brown and a good OL, even if it isn't Hookfin. We just need to be patient and trust the process.

Right about Schad and Cheney. I didn't expect Hookfin to commit with a Texas OV coming up or Brown with an Iowa State OV. In addition to Williams with a Missouri OV, I'm not sure if he will actually leave TN. I'm still hoping that Darius Robinson commits soon. If the 2 soft commits leave, that may simply open the door for 2 top prospects, even if they don't play the same positions. I'm still hopeful of adding a WR like Houston or Brown and a good OL, even if it isn't Hookfin. We just need to be patient and trust the process.

Pessimist,

What about linebacker?

Are you happy with where we are at?

TJ Robinson being pushed out or is he just looking? We aren't looking at any other safety's as far as I see, and it's definetely a position of need. I'd take any of the commits you mentioned over him though. Looking at Houston's twitter kindof makes me think we are getting him. Hookfin didn't post anything on his twitter about the visit. Brown has one tweet. Williams, who knows. Cheney committing could make him go elsewhere or it could make him think he will have talent to play beside. Anything could happen right now.

I'm personally hoping to see Daniels decommit. Listening to the Austin radio down here they were hammering him his freshmen year as a low effort player. That was during Strong's last year though so everyone was being hammered.

I'd challenge you to find those 8 win seasons and outline which games they won by "coaching them up" which in this thread has been defined as winning games over teams who out-recruited you.
Illinois, Rutgers, and Purdue, Oregon State... not sure any of these were top 30.

Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska twice

Plus we were only one TD away from beating OSU who won the national championship and and TCU who was #2 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody heard about Nubin moving to safety? I swear it was mentioned somewhere because of his size.

Plus we were only one TD away from beating OSU who won the national championship and and TCU who was #2 at the time.

Lol only in Minnesota do we count a game against Ohio state where we were down 17 in the 4th quarter and never possessed the ball while within one score in the 4th quarter as an almost win.

You serious, Clark?

Just saw Gobie redid his crystal ball on Anderson with him predicting a commit to Mn. Interesting

He also predicted Darius Robinson to Mizzou. With Cheney, Schad and Harris in the fold, this is poised to be the best d-line class ever regardless of who finishes it off.

Pessimist,

What about linebacker?

Are you happy with where we are at?

I'm very concerned about LB. but I didn't know who to suggest. Your post inspired me to check inside linebackers. Brandon Gary from Florida now is listed as "warm" for Minnesota. That would work for me. Thanks!

Top Bottom