Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

So shooter is "breaking" a story that was 2 weeks old?

Wow- I do not miss the "reporting" done by the Minnesota fish-wraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter didn't say when that happened. Your take is certainly reasonable. It's also wise to continue building a good relationship with Wiley because he has friends at Desert Pines and IMG who would be huge potential additions in the future.

Fleck and staff were flying all over the country every day in the weeks leading up to signing day in an attempt to keep recruits in the boat and that’s totally normal.

Any news on Darius Robinson or Kristian Williams? I don't know if there are any newsworthy last minute additions to the remaining scholies for the Gophers.

Any news on Darius Robinson or Kristian Williams? I don't know if there are any newsworthy last minute additions to the remaining scholies for the Gophers.

Darius Robinson signed with Missouri.

Isaiah Hoofkin signed with Baylor

Kristian Williams was offered by Oregon and according to a tweet by Andy Greder, is planning on visiting Tennessee.

Demariyon Houston is still unsigned and does not have an offer from Oklahoma which he wants badly. Penn State just offered him. I'd imagine we are still in the fight.

Also Darwin Barlow is still unsigned.

Last edited:

Darius Robinson signed with Missouri.

Isaiah Hoofkin signed with Baylor

Kristian Williams was offered by Oregon and according to a tweet by Andy Greder, is planning on visiting Tennessee.

Demariyon Houston is still unsigned and does not have an offer from Oklahoma which he wants badly. Penn State just offered him. I'd imagine we are still in the fight.

Also Darwin Barlow is still unsigned.

247 has Barlow still committed to TCU.

Take it FWIW but Demariyon Houston is retweeting a ton of gopher stuff right now.

https://twitter.com/demariyon5

This particular retweet caught my eye

He retweeted a tweet I sent him a few weeks ago. Is he waiting for a spot or something, or just enjoying the attention? Maybe waiting for a Bama offer or something? I'd take him over Williams with the DT class we have ATM. Teague from last year. We have talent there. Can NEVER have enough star WR talent though.

He retweeted a tweet I sent him a few weeks ago. Is he waiting for a spot or something, or just enjoying the attention? Maybe waiting for a Bama offer or something? I'd take him over Williams with the DT class we have ATM. Teague from last year. We have talent there. Can NEVER have enough star WR talent though.

Maybe just weighing his options, wanting to make the right choice. I think I'd take Williams, just because high end D-line talent is tough to come by, and you can't have too many of them either. I think Fleck will pretty consistently find nice wr talent.

He is holding out for an offer from Oklahoma.

Jadon Hazelwood, the #1 WR in the country and teammate of Rashad Cheney is a projected Oklahoma commit and is scheduled to commit in 5 days so hopefully that closes the door on an OU offer for Houston. They also have two other top 10 WR's already committed.

And i remember someone saying here we are the leaders for Houston if he doesn't get an OU offer.

He is holding out for an offer from Oklahoma.

Jadon Hazelwood, the #1 WR in the country and teammate of Rashad Cheney is a projected Oklahoma commit and is scheduled to commit in 5 days so hopefully that closes the door on an OU offer for Houston. They also have two other top 10 WR's already committed.

And i remember someone saying here we are the leaders for Houston if he doesn't get an OU offer.

I think we would have to be the leader simply because I haven't seen him showing any interest in anyone other than us and OU.

Keeping fingers crossed on Demariyon Houston and Kristian Williams.

These two will be game changer gets.

Maybe just weighing his options, wanting to make the right choice. I think I'd take Williams, just because high end D-line talent is tough to come by, and you can't have too many of them either. I think Fleck will pretty consistently find nice wr talent.

I agree with you on Houston versus Williams. With Jonathan Mann and Udobliok already coming in 2020, and offers to a number of outstanding WR's including Lockett; I think that the Gophers can add a WR who is comparable to Houston. High-end d-line talent has certainly been difficult for the Gophers to add. For the same reason, I would also prefer Darwin Barlow to Houston. While adding another running back may not be a "need", I have to believe that Barlow is special if he can be the MVP in a Texas state championship game.
Instead of "two and a spare", I think that Barlow and Ibrahim backed up by Bryce Williams and Nolan Edmonds would help to make the Gopher attack much more. I think that either Williams or Barlow would be a great addition.

I agree with you on Houston versus Williams. With Jonathan Mann and Udobliok already coming in 2020, and offers to a number of outstanding WR's including Lockett; I think that the Gophers can add a WR who is comparable to Houston. High-end d-line talent has certainly been difficult for the Gophers to add. For the same reason, I would also prefer Darwin Barlow to Houston. While adding another running back may not be a "need", I have to believe that Barlow is special if he can be the MVP in a Texas state championship game.
Instead of "two and a spare", I think that Barlow and Ibrahim backed up by Bryce Williams and Nolan Edmonds would help to make the Gopher attack much more. I think that either Williams or Barlow would be a great addition.

Houston would be our first consensus top 300 recruit since Coughlin and our second highest rated WR ever behind Hayo and has offers from Bama, Texas, Notre Dame, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Baylor, Oregon to name a few. Mann, Udobliok, Lockett and even Namdi just aren't the same level of recruit. I think Houston would very likely be our #4 receiver next year.

Houston would be our first consensus top 300 recruit since Coughlin and our second highest rated WR ever behind Hayo and has offers from Bama, Texas, Notre Dame, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Baylor, Oregon to name a few. Mann, Udobliok, Lockett and even Namdi just aren't the same level of recruit. I think Houston would very likely be our #4 receiver next year.

Ouch!!! Let's hope he isn't like him if he decides on the Gophers.

Ouch!!! Let's hope he isn't like him if he decides on the Gophers.

Ah, the hype around Hayo is an all time great. I fell for it. I was so excited.... until... one of his early games he caught a slant across the middle, had clear sailing ahead, and was run down from behind by a LB. I’ll never forget sitting down, instantly depressed, and turning to my buddy and saying, “he will be a flop”.

If Alabama and Clemson got a 5-Star lemon, that's no problem because they just squeeze him out and replace him with another high level backup.

The Gophers on the other hand cannot afford to get a lemon.

And which receivers flopped that fleck has recruited here? Getting Houston would be an awesome pick up.

I think we would have to be the leader simply because I haven't seen him showing any interest in anyone other than us and OU.

Makes one wonder if there's something to be concerned about regarding him? Why would a WR with his rating be so low in offers/interest?

Makes one wonder if there's something to be concerned about regarding him? Why would a WR with his rating be so low in offers/interest?

Penn State just offered him like a week ago. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

And which receivers flopped that fleck has recruited here? Getting Houston would be an awesome pick up.

Kinda early to judge don't you think? Van Dyne, Gibbs and Mann are at most going to be RS So next year.

I agree with you 100% up till the last sentence. He's a high end talent, but really, really thin.

I agree with you 100% up till the last sentence. He's a high end talent, but really, really thin.

He's not big but I think he'd be the fastest WR we have and also has great hands. And our #4 WR (Douglas) only had 9 catches for less than 100 yards so I don't think the bar is particularly high.

I’d happily wager that one of those four will have a better career than Houston. I think a four star DT has a much higher floor than a 4 star we typically.

If Alabama and Clemson got a 5-Star lemon, that's no problem because they just squeeze him out and replace him with another high level backup.

The Gophers on the other hand cannot afford to get a lemon.

This will be my last post on Houston, Williams and Barlow until Feb. I agree 100%!!!! I look on Barlow and Williams as outstanding players with minimal risk. I look on Houston as an outstanding prospect with moderate risk. It's a red flag for me that the he didn't take an OV with any of the schools after decommitting except Minnesota. I would have thought that OSU would have had him visit. Also, I wonder if a player who calls himself "Hollywood" would buy into "Row the Boat".
If you look at the Minnesota offers for 2020 WR's, there are at least 8 offers to 4's or high 3's. For people who are skeptical about Terry Lockett, he is rated at .8882 as a junior, the number 8 prospect in Ohio. If you have to have a 4-star; I think that's very possible for Terry. As an excellent basketball, he has the athletic background like Bateman. Finally, since he was at Minnehaha until he went to a basketball academy in Ohio, he would have a reason to come home. My ideal situation would involve signing Williams or Barlow, and then focus on 2020 for more WR's.

He's not big but I think he'd be the fastest WR we have and also has great hands. And our #4 WR (Douglas) only had 9 catches for less than 100 yards so I don't think the bar is particularly high.

Do you envision him playing slot & competing with CAB & DD? Those guys go 200lbs & 190lbs respectively. I'd be shocked if Houston weighed 160lbs. I kind of see him as a Z, the same position as Tyler Johnson, who goes 200lbs as well.

All I'm saying is people often underestimate how hard it is to transition to WR at the college level. It doesn't matter how fast you are if a 5th year Sr jams you at the LOS every play & you can't get into your route. It doesn't matter how well you can catch, if the team can't run to your side of the field, because you can't block your man.

I think Houston would be a very, very good player for us, but I think he's a Z, not a slot guy and I think he'd almost certainly need a year to get stronger.

Top Bottom