Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I think it’s becoming more likely that Brock ends up somewhere else. His crystal ball has also been trending to ISU, while we picked up a CB for Barlow.

I think Fleck is cooling on Brock and believes Barlow is the better RB. Did I do that right?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Anything under 3.0 is disappointing even with long snappers and kickers.

Long Snappers and Kickers don't garner as much attention from the ratings sites as do other position players. If they do get scholies, their ratings mostly in the high 70s to low 80s on 247 Sports. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=True&Position.Key=po_37,po_27,po_38&Recruitment.Enabled=False

Don't they go mostly as PWOs? You have to think someone is really special, but then it is still a risk that they end up run of the mill. You still want to recruit PWOs even when you give scholies out as insurance policy.

Long snappers are the guys who prefer to be unheard from. They have to be reliable and go about executing flawlessly. If you hear their name called in a game it is usually because they screwed up.

Kickers/Punters can change the complexion of the game. Good ones are hard to come by. If they do great, their names are often mentioned and memorialized. We remember Chip Lohmiller and Dan Nystrom, but we may struggle to remember the other former Gopher kickers.

I think it’s becoming more likely that Brock ends up somewhere else. His crystal ball has also been trending to ISU, while we picked up a CB for Barlow.

If he doesn't come here, I'm all for Brock going to ISU. Anything that helps make ISU the best team in Iowa is okay with me.

ISU is a team the Gophers should be playing. I understand why not (ISU is committed to playing IA every year, and they don't want to play two non-conf games against B1G Teams).

I'm just saying that ISU is a Midwest team with some name recognition. I would rather see the Gophers playing a team like ISU as opposed to Directional State or Whatsamatta U.

Long Snappers and Kickers don't garner as much attention from the ratings sites as do other position players. If they do get scholies, their ratings mostly in the high 70s to low 80s on 247 Sports. https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=True&Position.Key=po_37,po_27,po_38&Recruitment.Enabled=False

Don't they go mostly as PWOs? You have to think someone is really special, but then it is still a risk that they end up run of the mill. You still want to recruit PWOs even when you give scholies out as insurance policy.

Long snappers are the guys who prefer to be unheard from. They have to be reliable and go about executing flawlessly. If you hear their name called in a game it is usually because they screwed up.

Kickers/Punters can change the complexion of the game. Good ones are hard to come by. If they do great, their names are often mentioned and memorialized. We remember Chip Lohmiller and Dan Nystrom, but we may struggle to remember the other former Gopher kickers.

We've actually had a pretty nice run of kickers and punters.

Anything under 3.0 is disappointing even with long snappers and kickers.

While I agree.....the range of 3.0 star players is pretty large. From the low end 3 stars to the high end three stars....there is a pretty wide gap. I think the 247 composite rating is a better indication of a class.

Sorry, the EOAA Committee will not allow a player on the team with that name.

It'd be too bad to miss on Orji who by all accounts can play multiple positions both inside the box and out. Rolling 3 deep at the safety position would be a big plus as well.

ISU is a team the Gophers should be playing. I understand why not (ISU is committed to playing IA every year, and they don't want to play two non-conf games against B1G Teams).

I'm just saying that ISU is a Midwest team with some name recognition. I would rather see the Gophers playing a team like ISU as opposed to Directional State or Whatsamatta U.
Who else would you include as the other two non Conference opponents then?

After the scandal that got Claeys fired, should we really be recruiting an Orji?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

When do we play Oregon State next? I can hear the announcer: "And Orji is running all over the field tackling a Beaver!"

I nominate him for Recruit Name Of The Year.

When do we play Oregon State next? I can hear the announcer: "And Orji is running all over the field tackling a Beaver!"

The next day headline: Orji Run’s Through 11 Beavers, Finishes With 2 Strip Sacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Burns on Twitter, Minnesota and Jacob Clark are working this kid. He is listed as Warm to MN and has an impressive offer list.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Anfernee-Orji-97386/RecruitInterests/

The most important thing to me is that Jacob Clark is working to recruit him. Not only is he the #48 recruit in Texas, but Clark's wide receiver is a 4-star 2020 recruit. I like the idea of a QB being proactive in recruiting teammates, just as Annexstad did. I want a QB to be a leader!! And in case anyone thinks that #48 in Texas isn't significant; for a long time, it was rare that Minnesota got a commit from a player in the Texas Top 100.

The most important thing to me is that Jacob Clark is working to recruit him. Not only is he the #48 recruit in Texas, but Clark's wide receiver is a 4-star 2020 recruit. I like the idea of a QB being proactive in recruiting teammates, just as Annexstad did. I want a QB to be a leader!! And in case anyone thinks that #48 in Texas isn't significant; for a long time, it was rare that Minnesota got a commit from a player in the Texas Top 100.

Right on with your thinking!! And some are more concerned about an Orji...

Brock is committing on Friday. Crystal Ball is heavy Iowa St.

Barlow has us in his top 10.

Isiah Gibson has us in his final 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't see us getting any of them. Especially surprised Gibson is still considering us.

Brock is committing on Friday. Crystal Ball is heavy Iowa St.

Barlow has us in his top 10.

Isiah Gibson has us in his final 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This must be the time that they have full court pressure with every coaching staff trying to convince these recruits their school/team is best suited for them. I wonder if constant bombardment with phone calls, emails, texting, and twitter can turn into a negative.

This must be the time that they have full court pressure with every coaching staff trying to convince these recruits their school/team is best suited for them. I wonder if constant bombardment with phone calls, emails, texting, and twitter can turn into a negative.
Isn’t it a quiet period?

Top Bottom