Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

If 40 times are so useless, why is it used by coaches and scouts at the collegiate and pro level so much?

a 40 time at this juncture is useless, in my opinion. For the very reason that dp is arguing whether it’s hand timed or not, machine or not, electronic or not etc etc.

The concept of doing a combine and determining if someone is fast or not has significant relevance. The act of determining whether or not a 4.4 times as a junior in high school by the camp director or pys ed teacher are equivalent to combine times is definitely useless.

I understand that’s not what my post said verbatim. In a vacuum 40 times are not useless. Arguing on a message board over them is.

I have always thought that 10 and 20 yard times would be more valuable to coaches and teams than a 40 yard time. Most plays are made within those short bursts. A 40 yard play does not happen that often in a real football game.

I have a very easy time admitting when I'm wrong. I'm not here so what would I have to admit to?
Ok.

Just so we are clear, your critical reasoning is he can't possibly run a 4.4 40 since he is a high school kid from Jordan Minnesota and only has an offer from Howard? How can you be so sure you're not wrong with no actual facts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have always thought that 10 and 20 yard times would be more valuable to coaches and teams than a 40 yard time. Most plays are made within those short bursts. A 40 yard play does not happen that often in a real football game.
I know for at least the combine, they clock them three times while running the 40...once after 10 yards, again after 20, and then at 40. I would guess at a lot of the college camps, they do the same for the high school recruits.

Ok.

Just so we are clear, your critical reasoning is he can't possibly run a 4.4 40 since he is a high school kid from Jordan Minnesota and only has an offer from Howard? How can you be so sure you're not wrong with no actual facts?

My critical reasoning is that there are very few (if any) high schoolers in the country who run an electronic 4.4 and there is no way that this individual is one of them.

It's Christmas Eve and Gopher Hole is arguing over 40 times.

Forget Trump, this is what makes America a great country.

Happy holidays. I'm waiting for the thread on what PJ and Heather got the kids for Christmas.

My critical reasoning is that there are very few (if any) high schoolers in the country who run an electronic 4.4 and there is no way that this individual is one of them.
Ok...got it.

I'm happy you're not in charge of setting the levee heights in New Orleans.

I agree it's unlikely, but making the emphatic statement that he couldn't possibly run a 4.4 is flawed logic in my opinion.

Ok.

That candy store tends to slow people down. I know it hasn't helped my 40 time.

Well...recent vintage Gophers...yes.

Explosive plays do happen, even to the Gophers sometimes, so I think the 40 time is a valid test for a players ability to either break away from pursuit or make up a deficit in coverage. They look at the 10 yard splits, etc as well. Game of inches.

Are we talking full electronic, electronic start only, laser, pressure pad...

Well...recent vintage Gophers...yes.

Explosive plays do happen, even to the Gophers sometimes, so I think the 40 time is a valid test for a players ability to either break away from pursuit or make up a deficit in coverage. They look at the 10 yard splits, etc as well. Game of inches.
Also why they do the three cone drill and shuttle run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If 40 times are so useless, why is it used by coaches and scouts at the collegiate and pro level so much?

Used as 1 measurable of Speed by Coaches with those measurables typically taken at Development Camps or at by Coaching Staff at camp itself.

Started in 1950s with Paul Brown needing a tie-breaker in identifying personnel for covering punts. So initially, it was a punt coverage timing. Then, it grew into a universal way of measuring speed. Some teams used 25, some 50, some 100. The 40 became an agreed upon timing. Organizations (early on) found advantages based on the way in which your scouts tmed it. Basically human error by some teams' could be an advantage if your scout was good at timing.

It also has been a stat that has been promoted / marketed / advertised so much that it gained popularity. Case in point is all who debate whether or not it should be a good measurable.

Ok...got it.

I'm happy you're not in charge of setting the levee heights in New Orleans.

I agree it's unlikely, but making the emphatic statement that he couldn't possibly run a 4.4 is flawed logic in my opinion.

Flawed logic? No, seems correct. I think you could disagree with the premise that the probability is so low that it is effectively nil. I don't think you should disagree.

First it is a conditional probability of being able to run that fast as a JR in high school and only being noticed by Howard University. You definitely notice a kid running as fast as the fastest NFL players, if they are in an MN high school.

Consider this:
At the 2017 NFL combine only 9 players or roughly 3% of players ran that fast. These are guys who have been practicing speed, form, nutrition, and recovery skills for 4 years. Moreover, a lot of these guys trained in a camp specifically designed to maximize their performance.

A rough table of guys who have ever done it at NFL Combine:
Year 4.4 or better
1987 3
1988 8
1989 2
1990 2
1991 1
1992 1
1993 2
1996 2
1998 5
1999 10
2000 2
2001 7
2002 5
2003 6
2004 9
2005 12
2006 8
2007 13
2008 12
2009 20
2010 20
2011 21
2012 26
2013 13
2014 9
2015 17
2016 10
2017 9
Total 255

Can this 40 topic die and take it to a different thread. This is dumb

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This thread is for 2019 recruiting updates. If you want to discuss another topic we encourage you to start a new thread. All posts after this about another topic will be deleted. Thanks.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

With Class of 2018 recruiting ramping down with the majority of top prospects committed, the recruiting for Class of 2019 will be taking off with junior day invites and spring practice/games for coaches to evaluate to talent in the state. Recruiting for Class of 2019 in Minnesota maybe close to be done with offers out to Edina's Quinn Carroll and Lakeville North's Bryce Benhart and commitments from Eden Prairie's Cole Kramer and Owatonna's Jason Williamson. Recruiting of Minnesota preps has taken off in late December with FBS offers from Arkansas State out to Mpls North WR Nasir El-Amin (5'11 180), who is a cousin of Khalid and Cooper WR Adrian Adams (6'1 180). Breck QB/Ath David Roddy (6'5 245) picked up an offer from NDSU. Wayzata TE Billy Riviere (6'4 240) picked up an offer from North Dakota. And Jordan Ath Marlon Wiley (5'10 165) picked up an offer from Howard. In 16 years of tracking recruiting this is by far the most offers out to a class at this point in the recruiting process.

Confirmed as well that Eden Prairie DE Jermaine Johnson (6'6 240) who is at Independence JC with be a 2019 recruit and has picked up offers from Louisville, Utah, and Kansas.

Other top players in the class with D1 potential are the following:

RB Evan Hull Maple Grove (5’11 185) – 2017 All-USA Today Minnesota First Team. All State First Team. Star Tribune All Metro First Team. KARE11 All Metro. In 12 games, has 320 carries for 2174 yards and 19 TDs. In 2017 T&F, recorded a 10.78 100m and 21.81 200m.

RB Desean Phillips STMA (5’11 200) – 2017 District Offensive MVP. All District. In 6 games (#1 RB), had 121 carries for 787 yards (132 ypg) and 12 TDs. In 11 games, had 199 carries for 1198 and 17 TDs. Had 8 receptions for 198 yards and 3 TDs.

WR Treyton Welch Buffalo (6’3 185) – 2017 All-USA Today Minnesota First Team. All State First Team. All District. In 9 games, has 55 receptions for 936 yards (104 ypg) and 11 TDs. On defense, had 18 tackles and 1 INT.

TE Travis Yohnke Parkers Prairie (6’5 230) – 2017 District and Sub-District MVP Receiver. All District and Academic All District. In 9 games, has 46 receptions for 682 yards and 9 TDs. On defense, had 37 tackles (34 solo), 10 TFL, 4 FF, 2 FR, and 1 INT.

OL Joey Lombard, Anoka (6'5 310) - Received game day invite to Minnesota x3 (attended), Iowa (attended), and SDSU (attended).

Ath Matt Cavanagh Edina (6’1 190) – 2017 Star Tribune All Metro Second Team. All District. In 11 games, had 203 carries for 863 yards and 9 TDs. On defense, had 79 tackles, 9 TFL, 1 sack, 1 FF, and 2 PDs.

Ath Thomas Shelstad, Holy Angels (5’11 200) – 2017 All District. MVP of State Championship Game. In 13 games, had 82 tackles, 5 TFL, .5 sack, 2 FR, 1 FF, and 3 PD. Had 125 carries for 708 yards and 12 TDs.

DE - DeVonne Harris, Big Lake (6’4 220) – 2017 All District. District Defensive Lineman MVP. In 11 games, had 58 tackles, 13 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 FR, 2 FF, and 3 PDs. Had 23 receptions for 442 yards and 4 TDs.

DL - Luke Kubesh, Totino-Grace (6’0 280) – 2017 All-USA Today Minnesota First Team. Star Tribune All Metro First Team. KARE11 All Metro. Sports Jam All Area. All District. In 10 games, has 70 tackles, 16 TFL, and 1 sack.

LB - John Whitmore, Benilde-St. Margaret’s (6’2 215) – 2017 All District. In 8 games, had 54 tackles, 8 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 INT, and 3 PDs.

DB - Payton Shafer, Park of Cottage Grove (6’0 195) – 2017 All District First Team. In 8 games, has 61 tackles, 11 TFLs, 3.5 sacks, 6 QB hurries, 5 FF, and 1 PB. On offense, has 10 receptions for 122 yards and 19 carries for 76 yards.

DB - Tony Strand, Blaine (6’1 180) – 2017 All District. In 10 games, had 63 tackles, 1 FF, 5 INTs, and 4 PDs.

For those that follow Minnesota HS football, please feel free to review the list I have pulled together for top players in the state and let me know if I have missed anyone. In particular this request goes to out state fans, where there is less football/recruiting coverage.

http://main.gopherhole.com/page/show/2955861-class-of-2019-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

Gophers offer a jaw-dropper for 2019 OL J.J. Guedet

Just over a month ago, Central Michigan became the first school to offer Washington (Ill.) offensive tackle J.J. Guedet, a prospect with a 6-foot-8 frame and ability on both sides of the ball.

Today, Minnesota came to town and extended the second offer of the process to Guedet, who may quickly find himself as one of the Midwest's most sought-after juniors.

"Getting an offer is the main goal in high school. Ever since I was little I’ve been around football with my dad and it has always been a dream that we shared to go play big time football somewhere," he said.

Now that goal is a reality.

"Coach [Kenni] Burns was the one who offered [from Minnesota]," Guedet said. "He told me almost immediately they were going to offer me a scholarship. When he said that my jaw dropped and he asked if I was excited."

Guedet visited the Twin Cities during the fall, so he has had a chance to see campus, the stadium and meet the coaches, including head coach P.J. Fleck.

"When we went to Minnesota, it was against Illinois," Guedet said. "It was a great time, when we got there the coaches were very friendly and stopped to talk with us. Coach Warinner spent the most time with my family and I he talked about his career his family and then asked a few questions about me. When we met coach Fleck he was exactly what everyone said a great energetic coach who seemed to really care and wanted to know how everyone was."

He added, "I definitely want to go back to visit Minnesota. The first time it was breathtaking we walked around campus and got a feel for how it was there. As for other schools I already have some planned out and hopefully more to come."

https://247sports.com/Article/Minnesota-Gophers-offer-a-jaw-dropper-for-2019-OL-JJ-Guedet-113617923

Go Gophers!!

Early playing time available for this young star after VV carries Minnesota on his back to anther National Championship. Well, it would be nice!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

<iframe class="twofourseven-embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameborder="0" width="600" height="200" src="https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Rahmir-Johnson-at-Bergen-Catholic-186990/Embed"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/SkyNet/Shared/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom