Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

If you are absolved from any potential blame for people that aren't "your" recruits, you should probably not get any praise for their success.

I disagree. In both instances you could say the expectations were pretty low when it came to QB play. I don't think many expected a lot out of the QB play last year. Maybe some blame can go to the coaching staff but I think most believe they didn't have a whole lot to work with. Going forward expectations will change though.

Zach Terrell was a low-rated recruit with very few offers. The coach that recruited him probably deserves credit for finding a "diamond in the rough". But Fleck and staff deserve credit for developing him into a pretty good QB.

Look - every coach who takes over a program inherits players that were recruited by the previous coach - often to play in a different style.

The new coach has two choices: work with the inherited players, and see if you can get them to fit your system.

Or, use inherited players only when necessary and try to turn over the roster as fast as possible with players who were recruited by the new coaching staff (including JUCO's and transfers).

I would say it appears Fleck and his staff are leaning toward option #2. He seems more comfortable with players he personally selected. hey, that's understandable. but at the same time, the goal is to win games. You have fans paying for tickets to watch games. I think the onus should be on the new coaching staff to figure out how to use the inherited players in the best way possible to help win games, even if they're not a perfect fit for the new system.

If we sign another full class of 25, that would be three classes in a row. Plus a decent number of those guys redshirted. With only 85 max allowable scholarships, when are gonna pay the piper? Unless we consistently crean guys at a pretty high rate aren’t we going to have a couple of really small class coming up soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. In both instances you could say the expectations were pretty low when it came to QB play. I don't think many expected a lot out of the QB play last year. Maybe some blame can go to the coaching staff but I think most believe they didn't have a whole lot to work with. Going forward expectations will change though.

Zach Terrell was a low-rated recruit with very few offers. The coach that recruited him probably deserves credit for finding a "diamond in the rough". But Fleck and staff deserve credit for developing him into a pretty good QB.

Sure I agree, he deserves credit. But in giving him credit, we are agreeing that it's part of coaching (developing under-recruited guys). Therefore, if Fleck is not able to develop the players he inherited here, he deserves some blame.

Things that are completely out of your hands are not worthy of praise or blame. Developing inherited players is NOT one of those things.

Look - every coach who takes over a program inherits players that were recruited by the previous coach - often to play in a different style.

The new coach has two choices: work with the inherited players, and see if you can get them to fit your system.

Or, use inherited players only when necessary and try to turn over the roster as fast as possible with players who were recruited by the new coaching staff (including JUCO's and transfers).

I would say it appears Fleck and his staff are leaning toward option #2. He seems more comfortable with players he personally selected. hey, that's understandable. but at the same time, the goal is to win games. You have fans paying for tickets to watch games. I think the onus should be on the new coaching staff to figure out how to use the inherited players in the best way possible to help win games, even if they're not a perfect fit for the new system.

Since this sentiment gets repeated over and over again, which players did he inherit that left and are significantly hurting their chances of winning? Most of the players that left are on offense, and the offense hasn't exactly been great since Mason left. Nearly all of them have transferred down, and in some cases, way down. He's kept most of the players on defense, and the couple of playmakers he inherited on offense. Yet some people on here continue to think he's purposely trying to sacrifice wins by running off FCS and Division II talent and replacing them with guys who he thinks have legitimate P5 talent. That doesn't make any sense.

At the end of the day players still have to have talent. The NDSU coaches look to be a pretty good developer of talent at their level. But give them a full B1G schedule and they'll finish at the bottom of the conference. Talent is talent and you need it to win at the highest level. Expecting to win a bunch of B1G games with FCS and Division II talent on offense is delusional.

If we sign another full class of 25, that would be three classes in a row. Plus a decent number of those guys redshirted. With only 85 max allowable scholarships, when are gonna pay the piper? Unless we consistently crean guys at a pretty high rate aren’t we going to have a couple of really small class coming up soon?

Pretty normal for teams to take 23-25 each year and end up safely under 85 overall. Attrition from injuries, transfers, quitting from lack of paying time easily make up the difference. Almost impossible to be right on all 25 that they all can contribute especially when your banking on what they will be, not what they currently are. So unlikely that the number we are taking now will result in some penalty in the future. If this wasn't the case you wouldn't have left over scholarships to give to non-starting senior kickers.

Sure I agree, he deserves credit. But in giving him credit, we are agreeing that it's part of coaching (developing under-recruited guys). Therefore, if Fleck is not able to develop the players he inherited here, he deserves some blame.

Things that are completely out of your hands are not worthy of praise or blame. Developing inherited players is NOT one of those things.

I agree if we're talking a year or two down the road. I'm not going to be too critical of him for not being able to develop one of the QBs last year when he was with them less than a year. Terrell wasn't very good at WMU his first year either, but got significantly better as his career went on. If Croft stayed with the program, continued to start, and didn't develop, then I would agree Fleck should be criticized for that.

With Hall committing to ISU yesterday, you would think Brock will commit to us soon? Unless he's getting cold feet with PJ pressuring him?

Brock isn't a guy who will get pressure as he is one of those types that can commit whenever and there will be a spot for him. Pressuring isn't the right word either. PJ uses a supply and demand strategy. If you tell a guy we have 1 spot left and we are recruiting you and 2 other guys for it first one to commit we will take it isn't really putting pressure on a guy. Fleck is just laying out the truth for the recruit and making sure he knows the situation.

Interesting tweet by La’Darius Henry in reply to Solomon Brown commenting on the La’Darius receiving a letter from the Gophers. Commit to MN soon?

La’Darius is a 3-Star DB from FL with offers from FL, Oregon, Iowa St, West VA, as well B1G schools in Purdue, MD and Rutgers.

https://twitter.com/darius_ga/status/1012829732021424128?s=21

Rodney Smith, Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin and 20+ other players on the roster would disagree with your sentiment that PJ is favoring his recruits.

Seriously, where does this mentality even come from?

As logical as your points are, they don't fit the Fleckster narrative...and therefore do not apply.

As logical as your points are, they don't fit the Fleckster narrative...and therefore do not apply.

It absolutely applies. Fleck has responsibility for bringing out the best in the roster. Tyler Johnson and multiple other players had breakout seasons last year. Does Fleck get credit for that?

My apologies, I thought this was a place to discuss Gopher related things. I guess people aren’t allowed to disagree? I didn’t call him names or say his opinion is irrelevant. He’s probably a smarter football guy than I am, I just disagree with him here. Not the end of the world.

My apologies, I thought this was a place to discuss Gopher related things. I guess people aren’t allowed to disagree? I didn’t call him names or say his opinion is irrelevant. He’s probably a smarter football guy than I am, I just disagree with him here. Not the end of the world.

Used his response to make my point. Flecksters (not you) are all about cherry picking to give credit while avoiding any blame.

Quiet out there....Iowa St. just had a RB commit yesterday. Not sure if they are taking multiple RBs in this class but them taking a RB has to at least be a good sign for our chances of landing Jirehl Brock.

So we’re competing with Iowa St??? I think not.

Only when it was looking like his commitment was between us, Iowa St. And N.D.

I would bet higher rated recruits are more likely to leave any program since they are more likely to have options if things turn sour at their current school.

I wonder if that is true. Going back to the Brewster Era, it seems like we lost many guys because they were either "homesick", or felt they would never see the field. For example, there have been multiple threads about a CFL QB that did that.

My point is a lower ranked recruit could always transfer out/ down for a multitude of reasons. Not just high ranked recruits. IMHO That is why coach Fleck keeps saying he wants guys that want to be here.

SIAP Due to laziness, I didn't read this whole thread.

Brock would almost certainly sit behind David Montgomery for a year if he chose ISU.

Looks like crystal ball is shifting to Brock to ISU quick they must have info we don’t crap. Though we just got a Barlow crystal ball and if you look at his Twitter he’s basically only liking MN stuff. I think we will get Barlow just a gut feeling no inside scoop. And we can’t go wrong with either of them

In the end, it may flame out but the fact he has the respect of guys like Tressel, Fitzgerald, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Schiano I think speaks for itself.

I'd much rather have those guys fear him than respect him. I'm sure everyone in the BigTen respected Jim Wacker...but none feared him or his teams!

Though we just got a Barlow crystal ball and if you look at his Twitter he’s basically only liking MN stuff.
Are you seeing a different Twitter account than me? He has zero bias towards any school.

Only when it was looking like his commitment was between us, Iowa St. And N.D.

According to some of the ND recruiting guys, they don’t see ND in the top of his options. His top 5 on twitter was Iowa, Iowa St, Purdue, NW, and the Gophers (5/15) but he received the ND offer on 6/12. Time will tell. It would be great to have 4 out of IL top 10 players in 2019 committed especially in the B1G W.

I think it’s becoming more likely that Brock ends up somewhere else. His crystal ball has also been trending to ISU, while we picked up a CB for Barlow.

Top Bottom