Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I'd like to see more solid high former three star recruits like Rashod Bateman who shot up to four star in the ratings after his final HS season.

What I care more about is PJ Fleck and his coaching staff doing solid in person evaluations in those camps, and talking to coaches and scouts in addition to film. There are all kinds of variables. I think the most important once you ID a kid has talent - what is their attitude like, are they team players, and how coachable are they (football IQ)? There is also the case of kids that are late bloomers.

IMHO, Vic Viramontes is a good example of things not working out. We were high on him seeing his films. No doubt that he is talented. However, he wasn't able to learn quickly, be decisive, and adjust to the speed of the game at a higher level of competition. Based on what I saw of him during practices, he wasn't going to crack the starting lineup. If he was coming in as a true freshman, he would have has the luxury of time to red shirt and develop. And that is a maybe. We've gotten more competitive at the QB position. You take a risk when you transfer multiple times like he did.

Zack Annexstad blew me away. Here is a walk-on kid. He has natural poise and leadership ability. Good natured, good attitude. And he has good decision making skills. We need to find more players like him who is a mid level three star that has four star potential.

In the end, the number that matters is the final ranking. But, just wondering out loud, does it matter whether you're going up or down to establish the final number.

For sake of argument, let's say the Gophers are at 20 nationally today, and they finish at 30.

But, what if the gophers were at 40 right now, and they signed a bunch of 4-star players (or high 3-stars) late, and finished at 30?

Which would feel better, or give a more positive buzz? I think that closing with a flourish would actually generate more positive buzz for the program - "Gophers moving up," as opposed to the 1st scenario, where the Gophers' ranking will be presumably falling as we head toward national signing day.

Just thinking out loud. Or not thinking. It's Sunday.

It doesn't matter to me. What people will remember the most is how the team will finish in the standings this season.

I am thinking start winning more games beginning with 2018. Recruits will definitely notice if the boat is moving in the right direction. Winnings sells.

In the end, the number that matters is the final ranking. But, just wondering out loud, does it matter whether you're going up or down to establish the final number.

For sake of argument, let's say the Gophers are at 20 nationally today, and they finish at 30.

But, what if the gophers were at 40 right now, and they signed a bunch of 4-star players (or high 3-stars) late, and finished at 30?

Which would feel better, or give a more positive buzz? I think that closing with a flourish would actually generate more positive buzz for the program - "Gophers moving up," as opposed to the 1st scenario, where the Gophers' ranking will be presumably falling as we head toward national signing day.

Just thinking out loud. Or not thinking. It's Sunday.

Unless there is an unbelievable finish with the remaining open spots, this class is destined to finish in the mid 40's. That, by any measure, would be a disappointment...

I am thinking in the neighborhood of 35-40 range if they don't lose anyone through decommitment.

If if they finished slightly above 40, I wouldn't call it a disappointment. Their National Recruiting Ranking Average 2011-2017 was 58. They definitely have to win more games this season and go to a bowl. Purdue is the one team I fear will steal the thunder away from the Gophers.

Jeff Brohm won right away and Purdue went bowling in his first year. His first full recruiting class ranks 18th just ahead of the Gophers. He is a hot coaching commodity. I think he will be gone to the SEC when an opening comes up.

Unless there is an unbelievable finish with the remaining open spots, this class is destined to finish in the mid 40's. That, by any measure, would be a disappointment...
That would be one of the best classes that they've had in decades, hardly a disappointment. Who's to say that some of their recruits don't get a bump in their ratings too.

We’re in Brocks top 3. Would love to get him obviously. I like the ports guy we just got and seems underrated if he can stay healthy

For Brock it’s down to us ISU and northwestern. In my mind I think it’s close between us and Iowa State with us slight favorite and Northwestern 3rd on list.

That would be one of the best classes that they've had in decades, hardly a disappointment. Who's to say that some of their recruits don't get a bump in their ratings too.

Our recruits are the only ones who get bumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of our guys are underrated. Last class we finished 38th and had more guys than what we should have this year and no kickers and long snappers. I see us in the mid 40s but that’s not bad Wisconsin has consistently been around or slightly above that area while we’ve been around 60

We’re in Brocks top 3. Would love to get him obviously. I like the ports guy we just got and seems underrated if he can stay healthy

I understand that Barlow has made up his mind and may announce soon. I'd be delighted to take either one. I'd prefer Barlow
based on his offers; but it would be disappointing not to get one of the "Big 3". I don't like our chances for Dourue, going against Baylor and A&M.

For Brock it’s down to us ISU and northwestern. In my mind I think it’s close between us and Iowa State with us slight favorite and Northwestern 3rd on list.

ND is out of the picture for sure? Great! Think we can compete with the other 2 remaining schools successfully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got a little over 3-1/2 hours when the Dead Period starts.

Can a recruit commit during the dead period? If we haven't gotten a commitment by now, and if we have to wait on a commitment until July 24 there is too much time for mischief.

Jirehl Brock was trending 43% to MN, but like the Duggan situation nothing is guaranteed. I'd take Darwin Barlow or Jirehl Brock. There is something about the Barlow kid. I think he may be a better fit, but that is just a humble opinion.

It said That Brock was going to try to decide this week and announce shortly afterwords

Wow I just looked at Barlow’s twitter and he’s retweeting a lot of MN stuff. I think we will get either him or Brock

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We've got a little over 3-1/2 hours when the Dead Period starts.

Can a recruit commit during the dead period? If we haven't gotten a commitment by now, and if we have to wait on a commitment until July 24 there is too much time for mischief.

Jirehl Brock was trending 43% to MN, but like the Duggan situation nothing is guaranteed. I'd take Darwin Barlow or Jirehl Brock. There is something about the Barlow kid. I think he may be a better fit, but that is just a humble opinion.

Commitments mean nothing so you can commit anytime you want.

I can commit to the U... but they told me to stop doing that.

I'd take a class that ranks 40 overall if I know they'll all stick and be around 4-5 years versus a top 25 class where by their Junior season we're missing half the class.

You don't really follow recruiting much do you?

So there is proof that lower ranked classes have a lower turnover than higher ranked classes? And how does that translate to more wins?
Seems to work for Wisconsin and Iowa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Well it's been reported the coach feels the same way. He expects a top 25 class here year over year. Not shooting for a 45 ranked class just so more kids are still around four years later, which is a dubious statement at best.
You don't really follow recruiting much do you?

Well it's been reported the coach feels the same way. He expects a top 25 class here year over year. Not shooting for a 45 ranked class just so more kids are still around four years later, which is a dubious statement at best.

That should be coaches expectation, I would agree. I don't see it becoming the norm however.

Seems to work for Wisconsin and Iowa.

Obviously you are better off with the top 25 if the same percentage stay the whole time.

If you don't get athletes to get you in the top 25 you are starting off behind the curve to begin with.

So there is proof that lower ranked classes have a lower turnover than higher ranked classes? And how does that translate to more wins?

I don't think he was saying that the lower ranked class will have less turnover, I believe he was just saying that attrition is a key variable in analyzing the classes.

That said, it is an interesting question.

In our recent history, some of our higher rated recruits did have some element of uncertainty with them. They were more likely to have non-football related question marks. This is obviously logical too, any and every coach in America is willing to be a little more daring with a 4star recruit than a 2star recruit. If there is a 2star recruit with some character/grade question marks, I doubt the U makes an offer to that person. If it's a 4star, it's worth the gamble. It's a logical risk/reward analysis.

Now, I'm not saying any of that happened with PJ's recruits. I'm not even implying there is or could be some issue with some of our higher rated recruits. However, if I had to guess, and I haven't run the numbers, I'd guess that our higher rated high school commits are more likely to exit the program in the first two years than our lower rated commits.

I don't think he was saying that the lower ranked class will have less turnover, I believe he was just saying that attrition is a key variable in analyzing the classes.

That said, it is an interesting question.

In our recent history, some of our higher rated recruits did have some element of uncertainty with them. They were more likely to have non-football related question marks. This is obviously logical too, any and every coach in America is willing to be a little more daring with a 4star recruit than a 2star recruit. If there is a 2star recruit with some character/grade question marks, I doubt the U makes an offer to that person. If it's a 4star, it's worth the gamble. It's a logical risk/reward analysis.

Now, I'm not saying any of that happened with PJ's recruits. I'm not even implying there is or could be some issue with some of our higher rated recruits. However, if I had to guess, and I haven't run the numbers, I'd guess that our higher rated high school commits are more likely to exit the program in the first two years than our lower rated commits.

I would bet higher rated recruits are more likely to leave any program since they are more likely to have options if things turn sour at their current school.

Top Bottom