Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Im interested to see how Purdue looks without a senior laden defense. They lost a lot and don’t have many instant impact players coming in so this year will be the real test imo. No denying Brohm’s ability as a offensive mind though. They should be able to score with about anyone again.

But as far as PJ’s concerned, Dabo Swinney’s shown at Clemson that you don’t need a high level Xs and Os guy to compete. It was easy to be fans of Kill and Claeys because they were the type of grinders in the film room that kept to themselves that we were used to. Same reason people love Zimmer. I think that’s just an upper Midwest thing as we can identify with that. I do believe it will come to a point where people see through the skepticism of PJ’s sthick and respect the way he grinds as a recruiter and otherwise. All P5 coaches are busy but I think he takes it to another level through the camps he coaches at and coaches clinics he speaks at. It may not happen right away but it’s hard not to believe that the work he’s put in through building relationships won’t pay off down the road. People with his dedication usually find a way to be successful. Whether that’s here or elsewhere is TBD.

Im interested to see how Purdue looks without a senior laden defense. They lost a lot and don’t have many instant impact players coming in so this year will be the real test imo. No denying Brohm’s ability as a offensive mind though. They should be able to score with about anyone again.

But as far as PJ’s concerned, Dabo Swinney’s shown at Clemson that you don’t need a high level Xs and Os guy to compete. It was easy to be fans of Kill and Claeys because they were the type of grinders in the film room that kept to themselves that we were used to. Same reason people love Zimmer. I think that’s just an upper Midwest thing as we can identify with that. I do believe it will come to a point where people see through the skepticism of PJ’s sthick and respect the way he grinds as a recruiter and otherwise. All P5 coaches are busy but I think he takes it to another level through the camps he coaches at and coaches clinics he speaks at. It may not happen right away but it’s hard not to believe that the work he’s put in through building relationships won’t pay off down the road. People with his dedication usually find a way to be successful. Whether that’s here or elsewhere is TBD.

PJ's high energy is infectious, and he's building an organization with a culture that will serve the athletes and the football program well. It is hard not to see success down the road. He brought with him the kind of vision, charisma, connectivity to people on all levels, his public relations persona, and dedication and hard work. These are all attributes that people around here have been screaming for a long time for. We'll know when he's reached the pinnacle of success when we incessantly start worrying about him bolting.

Let's hope that he meant what he said about this being his last stop. I think the tipping point maybe how Heather feels about living and raising family in the Twin Cities. But, when the SEC or a program like Notre Dame calls it may be hard to resist.

PJ's high energy is infectious, and he's building an organization with a culture that will serve the athletes and the football program well. It is hard not to see success down the road. He brought with him the kind of vision, charisma, connectivity to people on all levels, his public relations persona, and dedication and hard work. These are all attributes that people around here have been screaming for a long time for. We'll know when he's reached the pinnacle of success when we incessantly start worrying about him bolting.

Let's hope that he meant what he said about this being his last stop. I think the tipping point maybe how Heather feels about living and raising family in the Twin Cities. But, when the SEC or a program like Notre Dame calls it may be hard to resist.

Good post, but let me ask you this question...Fleck is a man of his brand and blasting it all over the school and the football program. Look at Minnesota and the new facilities/logos etc with RTB, Fleckisms and Oars. I think it's great and I'm fine with it, buto you think there is anyway in hell a big time program like Notre Dame or a high end SEC school would allow him to do that? I doubt it, but maybe?

No one can argue with results. Schticks can wear out in a hurry if you don't win. People will be more than willing to drink the koolaid of success. Is tar and feathering legal if you fail?

Most people will favor Jeff Brohm's direct style. Look at what he's been able to do in his first year. He did inherited a team with pretty decent defensive line. There is no question his offensive mind and his ability to instill believe.

Interestingly enough MBS goes to the same school as Isaiah Gibson. May be a package deal? Regardless I think we are going to see the staff take a couple chances on kids that show well at camps every year as they seem to put a lot of value in that.

Overall I don’t see Fleck bolting for any program other than Notre Dame or Ohio State as he and his wife seem to love living in the Midwest. The bigger thing is he’s already recruiting at a level that’s good enough to compete for the division so the question is when or if that translates to the field can recruiting go to another level here? One way or another if things go as planned he’s probably gonna be here for a decade at least as the higher you go the more you have to factor in fit as it’s a long climb back up when you fail at the top.

Interestingly enough MBS goes to the same school as Isaiah Gibson. May be a package deal? Regardless I think we are going to see the staff take a couple chances on kids that show well at camps every year as they seem to put a lot of value in that.

Overall I don’t see Fleck bolting for any program other than Notre Dame or Ohio State as he and his wife seem to love living in the Midwest. The bigger thing is he’s already recruiting at a level that’s good enough to compete for the conference so the question is when or if that translates to the field can recruiting go to another level here? One way or another if things go as planned he’s probably gonna be here for a decade at least as the higher you go the more you have to factor in fit as it’s a long climb back up when you fail at the top.

That is interesting about Isaiah Gibson and Mike Brown-Stephens. They both also have Kentucky offers and IG is trending 73% Kentucky on the Crystal Ball.

Heck, if PJ Fleck can bring championships they'll erect a statue of him right next to Goldy's.

That is interesting about Isaiah Gibson and Mike Brown-Stephens. They both also have Kentucky offers and IG is trending 73% Kentucky on the Crystal Ball.

Heck, if PJ Fleck can bring championships they'll erect a statue of him right next to Goldy's.
Refresh my memory. Is this similar to Marquies Gray/Johnny Johnson?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am glad we are signing *3 recruits and building as program but we need a QB. Am I the only one concerned about this?

I am glad we are signing *3 recruits and building as program but we need a QB. Am I the only one concerned about this?

local kid and 6'5 kid from Texas coming in. Can't imagine we'll take another QB this class

Speaking of QBs, Burns retweeted something interesting the other day. Some reporter tweeted out something like, "we can't expect Fleck's team to take a jump in the second year like it did at WMU, because the QB situation is worse here."

Well, which way do people want it? He supposedly can't win here because of the prior coach's QB recruits three years ago, and he's blameless in the deal. But, he gets all the credit at WMU for winning with another coach's QB recruits? Seems like you can't really say both out of each side of your mouth.

Don't know which is true (who gets credit for winning/losing after a coaching change). Just thought it was an interesting development in the media's love affair with PJ. The excuse supercomputer is already fired up.

Speaking of QBs, Burns retweeted something interesting the other day. Some reporter tweeted out something like, "we can't expect Fleck's team to take a jump in the second year like it did at WMU, because the QB situation is worse here."

Well, which way do people want it? He supposedly can't win here because of the prior coach's QB recruits three years ago, and he's blameless in the deal. But, he gets all the credit at WMU for winning with another coach's QB recruits? Seems like you can't really say both out of each side of your mouth.

Don't know which is true (who gets credit for winning/losing after a coaching change). Just thought it was an interesting development in the media's love affair with PJ. The excuse supercomputer is already fired up.

Why can't two places be two different situations?

Overall I don’t see Fleck bolting for any program other than Notre Dame or Ohio State as he and his wife seem to love living in the Midwest. The bigger thing is he’s already recruiting at a level that’s good enough to compete for the division so the question is when or if that translates to the field can recruiting go to another level here? One way or another if things go as planned he’s probably gonna be here for a decade at least as the higher you go the more you have to factor in fit as it’s a long climb back up when you fail at the top.

I do admire some of you posters enthusiasm for PJF and the team. Already having plans of what top school will come for him. I hope your right but I haven't seen anything so far that screams he's going to win a ton of games...certainly not this year and who knows in the future. Lots of ifs, ands and buts gotta happen. I like his passion and motivation, I think his crootin' is pretty good but there are a lot of unknowns. This ain't the MAC and he hasn't proven it at multiple spots. I guess we will see. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp that he'll get it done.

I don't understand your point.
So if PJ would have lost in his 2nd year at WMU, that would be better because it would have better showed he can recruit his guys to win in year 3? Like, he should have ignored any quality QB he had on the roster so he wasn't using a QB recruited by a previous coach?

Are you suggesting PJ only play this year with players he recruited?

Whatever story you are trying to fabricate, one of the bottom lines for a football team is you need a QB.
We don't know if we have that.

What he had at WMU doesn't really apply here because:
1. That was MAC level recruiting, not Big Ten
2. Those players were all different than players the Gophers have. (None of the WMU kids are playing on the Gophers roster)
3. It's a different level of competition that PJ is playing here week in and week out.

Not sure if you realized any of these points. It appears you haven't.

I do admire some of you posters enthusiasm for PJF and the team. Already having plans of what top school will come for him. I hope your right but I haven't seen anything so far that screams he's going to win a ton of games...certainly not this year and who knows in the future. Lots of ifs, ands and buts gotta happen. I like his passion and motivation, I think his crootin' is pretty good but there are a lot of unknowns. This ain't the MAC and he hasn't proven it at multiple spots. I guess we will see. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp that he'll get it done.

If you aren’t overly optimistic, what’s the point? ;) I am cautious about Fleck to a certain extent. I like the Gary Pattersons, Dantonios and Xs and Os type coaches more so than the CEO of the program types. But I think head coaches like Fleck are the future (with recruiting ruling the day in the sport) and unlike car salesmen of the past like Brewster, Beckman and so on, you see real structure and accountability. In the end, it may flame out but the fact he has the respect of guys like Tressel, Fitzgerald, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Schiano I think speaks for itself.

On the recruiting front, it looks to be down to us and Northwestern for Brock with Iowa State picking up a running back commit last night. Gotta feel good about our chances now.

You never know what the pull of Fitz will do with his new facilities. He is a critical get and a top Gopher priority.

Why can't you? You don't expect the coach/team to be successful when the QB situation is bad. He inherited a pretty bad QB situation at MN. Hard to fault him too much for what happened last year at QB. Zach Terrell was a 2-star recruit with just a few MAC offers out of HS that developed into a pretty good college QB. Why shouldn't Fleck get some credit for that?

If you aren’t overly optimistic, what’s the point? ;) I am cautious about Fleck to a certain extent. I like the Gary Pattersons, Dantonios and Xs and Os type coaches more so than the CEO of the program types. But I think head coaches like Fleck are the future (with recruiting ruling the day in the sport) and unlike car salesmen of the past like Brewster, Beckman and so on, you see real structure and accountability. In the end, it may flame out but the fact he has the respect of guys like Tressel, Fitzgerald, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Schiano I think speaks for itself.

On the recruiting front, it looks to be down to us and Northwestern for Brock with Iowa State picking up a running back commit last night. Gotta feel good about our chances now.

Well said.

With Hall committing to ISU yesterday, you would think Brock will commit to us soon? Unless he's getting cold feet with PJ pressuring him?

Why can't you? You don't expect the coach/team to be successful when the QB situation is bad. He inherited a pretty bad QB situation at MN. Hard to fault him too much for what happened last year at QB. Zach Terrell was a 2-star recruit with just a few MAC offers out of HS that developed into a pretty good college QB. Why shouldn't Fleck get some credit for that?

If you are absolved from any potential blame for people that aren't "your" recruits, you should probably not get any praise for their success.

Fixing the QB situation is part of this job. He can do it a variety of ways. He can develop a player already on the roster (like he did at WMU), he can bring in a JuCo (that didn't go well), or he can bring in his HS recruits and start turning it around that way.

At the end of the day, if our QB position is horrible next year, some of that is Fleck's fault (is JuCo recruit was a flop). Some of it is Claeys too, but who cares, he isn't here anymore. If the QB situation doesn't improve more in 2019, again, more blame on Fleck.

You'd obviously be foolish to put all of the blame on Fleck for our QB situation, but he has made some moves. They might be the right moves and they might be the wrong moves (Seth Green to TE, handling of the Rhoda/Croft stuff, the Vic situation).

With Hall committing to ISU yesterday, you would think Brock will commit to us soon? Unless he's getting cold feet with PJ pressuring him?

I bet he's not pressuring him at all in the quiet period...

Top Bottom