Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Aren't some of the scholies given to PWOs for one year only?

That would be an option.

As long as the player didn't receive a scholarship in his freshman year, his scholarship doesn't receive the new multi-year guarantees that were passed a couple years ago.

He can play on the team, his track scholly simply counts against the 85 total limit.

Not accurate - his scholarship would have to be paid for by football if he gets any scholarship at all. And yes, it would count against the 85 limit.

Not accurate - his scholarship would have to be paid for by football if he gets any scholarship at all. And yes, it would count against the 85 limit.

You're talking about some very specific situation, and not being forthcoming. Otherwise, you're simply wrong.

Any student athlete with a scholarship can participate on any other team, without that other team having to actually pay for it. BUT, there is a hierarchy of how the scholly counts against the team scholly limit. In the case of football, any scholly athlete from any team in the dept it has to count against the football headcount.

You're talking about some very specific situation, and not being forthcoming. Otherwise, you're simply wrong.

Any student athlete with a scholarship can participate on any other team, without that other team having to actually pay for it. BUT, there is a hierarchy of how the scholly counts against the team scholly limit. In the case of football, any scholly athlete from any team in the dept it has to count against the football headcount.

I think that's pretty much just what Dpo said.

-Counts against and is paid for by football but can play on the other team.

I think that's pretty much just what Dpo said.

-Counts against and is paid for by football but can play on the other team.

Counts against is completely separate from paid for by. That's my point.

The 85 total limit for football in FBS is simply a headcount. They say "how many players do you have on the team roster who have an athletic scholarship, of any amount, from any team". Has to be less than 85. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Scholarship_limits_by_sport

Counts against is completely separate from paid for by. That's my point.

The 85 total limit for football in FBS is simply a headcount. They say "how many players do you have on the team roster who have an athletic scholarship, of any amount, from any team". Has to be less than 85. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I#Scholarship_limits_by_sport

I guess I'm not really following what you're arguing.

Aren't we all in agreement that it is paid for by the football team and counts against the 85???

The point dpo seemed to be making is that said player isn't walking on to football because the scholarship counts against football. Walks on aren't on scholarship.

In reality, by definition, the player is walking on for track.

I guess I'm not really following what you're arguing.

Aren't we all in agreement that it is paid for by the football team and counts against the 85???

My post #2040 means that if the track team primarily wants him for track, gives him a scholarship for track (meaning the track team budget pays for it), but also lets him walk-on to the football team, then the scholarship will count against the football team's 85 limit. But that doesn't magically mean the scholarship is "paid for" by football.

This could all be hand-waiving too, if the dept simply pools all scholarships for all teams into a separate line item. If they do that, then it's a moot point. But if they put scholarships for each team into the team budgets, it's not.

My post #2040 means that if the track team primarily wants him for track, gives him a scholarship for track (meaning the track team budget pays for it), but also lets him walk-on to the football team, then the scholarship will count against the football team's 85 limit. But that doesn't magically mean the scholarship is "paid for" by football.

This could all be hand-waiving too, if the dept simply pools all scholarships for all teams into a separate line item. If they do that, then it's a moot point. But if they put scholarships for each team into the team budgets, it's not.

My understanding is that football still has to pay for it. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always heard. But let's be honest, football (and basketball and hockey) are paying for everything for the track teams anyway.

I’d be surprised if femi cole sticks around
Or London, especially if both Brooks and Smith stay. Could see someone like Van Dyne or Phillip Howard even moving on as well. Also have a couple RS junior TE that aren't playing much who don't really fit in with the offense

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My understanding is that football still has to pay for it. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always heard. But let's be honest, football (and basketball and hockey) are paying for everything for the track teams anyway.

Your second point is certainly valid. But not what he meant. He meant what you said in your first point. I guess all i can say is that I can’t refute it, but that doesn’t prove it’s true.

Your second point is certainly valid. But not what he meant. He meant what you said in your first point. I guess all i can say is that I can’t refute it, but that doesn’t prove it’s true.

Just because you want it to be true because it kinda makes sense in your head, does not make it true.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Getting Graham and a top-flight o-line recruit would be a nice way to finish up the class.

Getting Graham and a top-flight o-line recruit would be a nice way to finish up the class.

It says Purdue 60%, but wonder if that's based off him taking three unofficial visits there so far. Much easier drive out to Mich St and Purdue than Minn and Iowa St. Taking official to Ames on 27th, wonder if we can get him in Mpls before then??

I like how PJ thinks. Winfield getting hurt opened up another scholarship for Graham.

Or....

It says Purdue 60%, but wonder if that's based off him taking three unofficial visits there so far. Much easier drive out to Mich St and Purdue than Minn and Iowa St. Taking official to Ames on 27th, wonder if we can get him in Mpls before then??

He's also taken 2-3 unofficials here...

He is 6' 2" and is listed as an athlete. I thought maybe DB or DL?
Most of his Hudl film is at DB, it does show him at QB & WR towards the end too. He looks like a pretty good athlete, I've got to believe they are looking at him as a DB as that may be their biggest area of need at this point. He'd be a nice get.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9327554/5a1749b19677df09288ed60d' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most of his Hudl film is at DB, it does show him at QB & WR towards the end too. He looks like a pretty good athlete, I've got to believe they are looking at him as a DB as that may be their biggest area of need at this point. He'd be a nice get.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9327554/5a1749b19677df09288ed60d' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
Likes to put his head down and deliver big hits. Unfortunately, that seems to be a recipe for targeting calls. Needs to clean that up.

Any rumors on Benhart?

Wisconsin has the 5* commitment from this year at OT and now has two 4* in-state commits for 2020. Could there be enough competition over there now that he fears ever becoming a starter?

Kid was going to commit somewhere this summer before his FB season but this process continues to drag on.

Any rumors on Benhart?

Wisconsin has the 5* commitment from this year at OT and now has two 4* in-state commits for 2020. Could there be enough competition over there now that he fears ever becoming a starter?

Kid was going to commit somewhere this summer before his FB season but this process continues to drag on.

Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Nebraska are the rumored front runners. The U has never been on his radar; however, Warinner leaving helped the U. Allegedly, Benhart didn't like him at all.

Thing for Benhart at the U, there could be a big logjam at OT.

You have potentially Schlueter and Dickson starting for 19 and 20. But you also have Sassack is a RFr with three more years (19-21) and Faalele, York, and Norton all Fr with four more years (19-22).

That might be a deterrent, unless he thought he could beat all of those guys out.

Thing for Benhart at the U, there could be a big logjam at OT.

You have potentially Schlueter and Dickson starting for 19 and 20. But you also have Sassack is a RFr with three more years (19-21) and Faalele, York, and Norton all Fr with four more years (19-22).

That might be a deterrent, unless he thought he could beat all of those guys out.

Every school has other OL on their roster.

Top Bottom