Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

My take is in Power 5 conferences you will see 5-10% turnover ever year for various reasons. So if that holds, we should be ok if 5-9 leve.

Also, some of the Schollys in that 91 are those that were 'awarded' to walk ons. So one might expect some of those to be freed up as I expect those are just one year deals. I love those stories/films and think that PWO's earning a scholly are what will make our program great.

Yes. If a scholly wasn’t awarded to the player as a freshman, then it isn’t protected by NCAA requirements to be multi-year.

Yes. If a scholly wasn’t awarded to the player as a freshman, then it isn’t protected by NCAA requirements to be multi-year.

No.

At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement. In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed.

http://www.nationalletter.org/documentLibrary/athleticScholarship.html

No.

At a minimum, an athletic scholarship must be a one academic year agreement. In Division I, institutions are permitted to offer multiyear scholarships. Athletic scholarships may be renewed and the school must notify the student-athlete in writing by July 1 whether the athletic scholarship will be renewed for the next academic year. Individual schools have appeal policies for scholarships that are reduced or not renewed. In most cases, the coach decides who gets a scholarship, what it covers and whether it will be renewed.

http://www.nationalletter.org/documentLibrary/athleticScholarship.html

The new rule (since 2016-17 I believe) is that a scholarship is guaranteed for basically as long as the student remains on the team in good standing and academically eligible. Can’t be taken away for any reason related to athletics performance (or lack of). Some exceptions of course, and one is if the athlete wasn’t on scholarship as a freshman.

P5 + Norte Dame MUST follow this new rule. Rest of DI can choose to optionally follow it.

Except by my quick count we're currently sitting at about 91 scholarships next year with the current commits. That means 6 current scholarship players would have to leave with eligibility. That's pretty normal attrition, but I think this class is pretty much maxed out with 22 scholarship commits.

PJ probably views the problem a little differently. He was much more concerned that at least one his 2018 commits (esp Bateman) would not sign on. It looks as if he has plenty of room on the upside per the prev grayshirt and transfer discussions.

Except by my quick count we're currently sitting at about 91 scholarships next year with the current commits. That means 6 current scholarship players would have to leave with eligibility. That's pretty normal attrition, but I think this class is pretty much maxed out with 22 scholarship commits.

Trust me, they will find room to sign a full class. Just looking at the roster and it becomes pretty easy to see who's going to be "encouraged to pursue other options" and I'm not talking just RS JR's that will graduate, though that is the most obvious group each year.

Trust me, they will find room to sign a full class. Just looking at the roster and it becomes pretty easy to see who's going to be "encouraged to pursue other options" and I'm not talking just RS JR's that will graduate, though that is the most obvious group each year.

This is a good thing, right?

Yep agree. I think RB is any obvious group ... he’s already talking up true fresh Bryce Williams as having separated.

Yep agree. I think RB is any obvious group ... he’s already talking up true fresh Bryce Williams as having separated.

If Ryerse isn't going to play, I wouldn't mind seeing him go

I think we're a bit heavy on WR's, and some of younger WR's getting passed up, I wouldn't be surprised
RB-Few candidates
CB-few

And I'm hopeful he sticks, but Tanner Morgan might see 2 incoming QB's and and already passed up, I wouldnt' be shocked

Another thing Fleck mentioned on KFAN today is that this recruiting class is pretty much done. They are holding 2 scholarships for 'special situations' and he referenced Dunlap/Faalele last year. I know they would still love Benhart.

Another thing Fleck mentioned on KFAN today is that this recruiting class is pretty much done. They are holding 2 scholarships for 'special situations' and he referenced Dunlap/Faalele last year. I know they would still love Benhart.

He stated this during the postgame presser on Saturday as well.

Not getting my hopes up for Benhart, but man..... wouldn't that be something!

This is a good thing, right?

I hate to say it, but if the Gophers want to win in the B1G West they have to make bold decisions to place the Gophers in the best position to win. Do it with talent and depth they have lacked for so long. You have to constantly look at improving the roster while treating kids cavalierly. However, you are talking about young kids who haven't measure up to the expectations. So what do you do?

I think how PJ Fleck handles it is fairly and truthfully. If somebody doesn't want to, they are not going to be ostracized. They can always be part of the practice squad. You never what will happen. By staying, things can turn around. David Cobb had an attitude and almost transferred. But, luckily he decided to put the work in and bought-in. When Donnell Kirkwood went down, he seized the opportunity and never looked back.

The three options that PJ Fleck presented to Seth Green shows how he handles the situation.
1> Continue as a 3rd stringer with dismal chance of seeing playing time.
2> Transfer to a school where he can be a starter. PJ Fleck will help.
3> Switch position to take advantage of his skills and athleticism elsewhere on the team.

Thank goodness he chose the third option.

Last edited:

I hate to say it, but if the Gophers want to win in the B1G West they have to make bold decisions to place the Gophers in the best position to win. Do it with talent and depth they have lacked for so long. You have to constantly look at improving the roster while treating kids cavalierly. However, you are talking about young kids who haven't measure up to the expectations. So what do you do?

I think how PJ Fleck handles it fairly and truthfully. If somebody doesn't want to, they are not going to be ostracized. They can always be part of the practice squad. You never what will happen. By staying, thing can turn around. David Cobb had an attitude and almost transferred. But, luckily he decided to put the work in and buy-in. When Donnell Kirkwood went down, he seized the opportunity and never looked back.

The three options that PJ Fleck presented to Seth Green shows how he handles the situation.
1> Continue as a 3rd stringer with dismal chance of seeing playing time.
2> Transfer to a school where he can be a starter. PJ Fleck will help.
3> Switch position to take advantage of his skills and athleticism elsewhere on the team.

Thank goodness he chose the third option.

Excellent post...thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The roster moves that PJ Fleck bodes well on what he said about striving for excellence in his recent press conference.

By offering scholarship to kicker Camden Lewis and long snapper Brady Weeks, he shows his attention to detail. He doesn't leave anything to chance by addressing needs at every position.

Jerry Kill has always said that many games can be won (or lost) at the special teams battle.

I think PJ Fleck's Press Conference after the Fresno State win outlines his commitment to excellence:

..."My job is out recruit every single one of you... I am going to find a better player than you"..."I want to continually keep this program to go (hands gesturing up). Your job is to keep your job. And the way you keep your job is to change to your best, do the right things, continue to be in the program academically, athletically, socially, and spiritually, and grow. You will always keep your job. But, if you stop somebody will catch you eventually." --- This is a very powerful message to the players about striving for excellence on the field and elsewhere in their lives.

https://youtu.be/iFQHlVAzNQY?t=925

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

247 has him 100% to Missouri. So if we did get him ... what a snag! Would really speak volumes about recruits committing to Fleck's culture, new facilities, etc.

247 has him 100% to Missouri. So if we did get him ... what a snag! Would really speak volumes about recruits committing to Fleck's culture, new facilities, etc.

We've already gotten commitments from a few WR's on next years class so I'm kind of curious on this one. Maybe one of these WR's will move to defense.

We've already gotten commitments from a few WR's on next years class so I'm kind of curious on this one. Maybe one of these WR's will move to defense.

Right, you look at the WR position on our roster, just freshman (true and RS) + 2019 commits ... 10 guys so far, would be 11 with him (that includes Brock Annexstad). Unless he plans to beat all those guys out, won't be a lot of playing time.

I'd like to see an OL or a DE added with the remaining scholies.

I don't see a need for another WR in the class. If we get it, welcome. Coach Fleck knows what he is doing.

I don't see a need for another WR in the class. If we get it, welcome. Coach Fleck knows what he is doing.

Fleck said on his radio show on Tuesday that we are done for 2019.
We have two open that we will leave open unless a special need arises.
Based on that, I'm doubtful Cjay5k is coming here.

I see people mentioning Benhart. I thought I saw he recently visited Nebraska.
Wasn't he planning on picking a school before the football season started?

Top Bottom