Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I would bet higher rated recruits are more likely to leave any program since they are more likely to have options if things turn sour at their current school.

Yeah, that is probably right. A player is probably more likely to transfer if they think they could start somewhere else.

I'm not saying lower ranked classes have less attrition. I was referring to the classes in the 40's part. That's where Iowa and Wisconsin often finish, and they seem to do pretty well.

I don't think he was saying that the lower ranked class will have less turnover, I believe he was just saying that attrition is a key variable in analyzing the classes.

That said, it is an interesting question.

In our recent history, some of our higher rated recruits did have some element of uncertainty with them. They were more likely to have non-football related question marks. This is obviously logical too, any and every coach in America is willing to be a little more daring with a 4star recruit than a 2star recruit. If there is a 2star recruit with some character/grade question marks, I doubt the U makes an offer to that person. If it's a 4star, it's worth the gamble. It's a logical risk/reward analysis.

Now, I'm not saying any of that happened with PJ's recruits. I'm not even implying there is or could be some issue with some of our higher rated recruits. However, if I had to guess, and I haven't run the numbers, I'd guess that our higher rated high school commits are more likely to exit the program in the first two years than our lower rated commits.

All that may be true, however, I think Fleck is trumpeting we have 9 scholarship seniors, or something thereabout, right now. Given our history with the recruiting star system doesn't that really imply a large turnover of players regardless the quality?

I think you will always see a lot of turnover regardless of stars. I think every team has that issue though.

When you have three head coach's in as short of time as we did, there will be a lot of changes

All that may be true, however, I think Fleck is trumpeting we have 9 scholarship seniors, or something thereabout, right now. Given our history with the recruiting star system doesn't that really imply a large turnover of players regardless the quality?

One of the things Jerry Kill did really well was reduce attrition (especially in the first three years in a program).

This senior class is so small because it was the SR class most impacted by the coaching changes.

I''m not blaming Kill, Claeys, or Fleck - - people leave after coaching changes.

There is also the sexual assault stuff that diminished this SR class (and next year's).

Re: Jirehl Brock

An interview on another site reports Brock as saying the Gophers told him they would move a frosh RB to another position if he committed. Wonder what that means.

An interview on another site reports Brock as saying the Gophers told him they would move a frosh RB to another position if he committed. Wonder what that means.

I think it means that they see another player with position flexibility.

I think it means that they see another player with position flexibility.

I figured that but would be interested to know if the player to be switched was told they would be moved as a condition of Brock’s commitment. Always a difficult play to promise an uncommitted recruit something like that.

What that means is: (assuming the statement is accurate)

A. The Gophers REALLY want this guy badly.

B. This is a two-edged sword. On the one hand, you can say it shows the lengths that the staff will go to land a prized recruit. On the other hand, if stuff like this gets out, it could be used against the Gophers. if the Gophers and other team are fighting over recruit X, you can bet the other team will say something like, "yeah, they say they want you, but if they get a player they like better, they'll try to get you to change positions. We'll never do that."

You've got to be careful when you start making promises to recruits, to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you in the behind.

I would think they meant a freshman already on the roster but could be wrong.

If it is someone already on the roster, I'm not sure why Brock would care. If they are willing to move that player, it means they are likely already buried on the RB depth chart and therefore not a threat to Brock's reps.

My guess is Potts to WR or Williamson to LB. Either way, if he's that good, he should man up and compete.

It wouldn't effect Brock anyway, if his 4* rating is any hint of his talents.

What that means is: (assuming the statement is accurate)

A. The Gophers REALLY want this guy badly.

B. This is a two-edged sword. On the one hand, you can say it shows the lengths that the staff will go to land a prized recruit. On the other hand, if stuff like this gets out, it could be used against the Gophers. if the Gophers and other team are fighting over recruit X, you can bet the other team will say something like, "yeah, they say they want you, but if they get a player they like better, they'll try to get you to change positions. We'll never do that."

You've got to be careful when you start making promises to recruits, to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you in the behind.

That's a lot of assumptions. Maybe the current player is on board with it. Maybe they've discussed a position change already but want to keep him at RB due to depth. But by bringing on another RB the coaches feel they have plenty of depth at RB so this other player can switch positions. We don't know the situation.

PJ has hinted that we would bring in a "full class" which is 25 players. We have 19 verbals currently and here is how I expect the remainder of spots to be used:

1) RB-Brock or Doere/Barlow
2) WR- Rice, MosleyWiley,McCray
3) TE or LB???????
4) OT- Price or Treibler
5) DB--McDaniel, Graham
6) DL--Gibson, Blisset

If we signed full class wouldn’t like 16 players have to leave?

PJ has hinted that we would bring in a "full class" which is 25 players. We have 19 verbals currently and here is how I expect the remainder of spots to be used:

3) TE or LB???????
4) OT- Price or Treibler
5) DB--McDaniel, Graham
6) DL--Gibson, Blisset

I honestly don't get how they are going to squeeze a full 25 recruiting class. There are only 12 RS SRs and SRs on the current roster. That means either it has to come thru early graduations or more kids transferring that do not fit the program.

Are some kids going to be deliberately forced out, or in the case of the RS JRs are on track to graduate? There has to be a few that are contemplating transferring due to lack of playing time.

It is a balancing act. You want the team to be in the best position to succeed with better athletes. What is this saying about the current Gophers roster? Is it not good enough yet to be at the mid-tier level on competition?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html

3) TE or LB???????
4) OT- Price or Treibler
5) DB--McDaniel, Graham
6) DL--Gibson, Blisset
I don't think we will take a TE this class and don't expect another LB. I'd bet they will add 2 more WRs to this class though or 2 more RBs there is some position versatility with Potts already committed and a guy like Wiley.

11 scholarship SRs not counting Brooks as he will be back next year as a redshirt senior. Believe we only have 79 or 80 scholarships on the roster right now so that would take you up to about 16 or 17 scholarships to available. Then you look at some of the redshirt juniors and there are some pretty logical candidates who could move along and there is also always some other guys who just don't see a path to playing time and decide to transfer.

3) TE or LB???????
4) OT- Price or Treibler
5) DB--McDaniel, Graham
6) DL--Gibson, Blisset

If it's 25; I'm thinking as follows: RB--Brock or Barlow WR--Add Nance from Oklahoma and Boone from Missouri to those 4
LB--Jamir Thomas, OL--Those 2 are likely, or an OG we don't know yet, DB--McDaniel, Graham DL--Blissett
However, it would be great if PJ can come up with a late surprise like Reigelspirger, Dunlop, of Faalele.

I wouldn't rule out more late surprises. It's how PJ rows.

If it is someone already on the roster, I'm not sure why Brock would care. If they are willing to move that player, it means they are likely already buried on the RB depth chart and therefore not a threat to Brock's reps.

My guess is Potts to WR or Williamson to LB. Either way, if he's that good, he should man up and compete.

Surprisingly, I think Purdue will outdo Minnesota in this recruiting class. The crystal ball is trending to Purdue for Indianapolis WR David Bell whose rating is 0.9513.

The Gophers will need a late surge for four stars. That is okay if they only have one or two four stars. This still puts the Gophers closer to a low 40s ranking. I think maintaining a 30s-40s national ranking, an average composite of 0.8600 +/- 0.01, and 200 total points, they will come out okay with much better overall talent than they've ever amass previously.

This is the current bar to reach to be in conversation with mid-tier rated teams. As the overall B1G West talent level improves, the bar will trend up.

They have to start winning more games in order to turn the tide in their favor. Everyone one else with the exception of Illinois are all constantly improving.

Without any games played yet, here is in my mind where everyone talent-wise are on paper in the B1G West:

1. WI
2. IA
3. NW/PU/NE
4. NW/PU/NE
5. NW/PU/NE
6. MN
7. IL

3, 4, and 5 I consider are tossups. What has been said about the Gophers taking three or four recruiting turns to be in contention is most likely true.

I am honestly hoping Jeff Brohm bolts to the SEC. He is plugged into the heart of SEC country in recruiting having coached at WKU. My honest assessment of him is that he is as good a coach you can find. His body of work in the pros, coming from a football family, and his coaching experience speaks for itself. IMHO, I rate him as a coach better than PJ Fleck in terms of X s& Os. In terms of Rah Rah Shish Poom Bah, PJ has that charisma.

But, don't count PJ Fleck out. He knows how to put a good coaching staff together, and is not afraid to change what isn't working.

We had a higher “talent ranking” last year vs Purdue, had a better 2018 class, and the jury is out on 2019. I agree he had an impressive 2018 season but he’ll need to rampage through the Big Ten west for at least a year before he gets a higher tier job. If he can somehow get an 8+ win season out of a perpetual tough luck team he’ll be a hot commodity similar to James Franklin in the SEC. tThey lost a lot off their defense so we’ll see how it shakes out. He’s upped their recruiting though, for sure.

Surprisingly, I think Purdue will outdo Minnesota in this recruiting class. The crystal ball is trending to Purdue for Indianapolis WR David Bell whose rating is 0.9513.

The Gophers will need a late surge for four stars. That is okay if they only have one or two four stars. This still puts the Gophers closer to a low 40s ranking. I think maintaining a 30s-40s national ranking, an average composite of 0.8600 +/- 0.01, and 200 total points, they will come out okay with much better overall talent than they've ever amass previously.

This is the current bar to reach to be in conversation with mid-tier rated teams. As the overall B1G West talent level improves, the bar will trend up.

They have to start winning more games in order to turn the tide in their favor. Everyone one else with the exception of Illinois are all constantly improving.

Without any games played yet, here is in my mind where everyone talent-wise are on paper in the B1G West:

1. WI
2. IA
3. NW/PU/NE
4. NW/PU/NE
5. NW/PU/NE
6. MN
7. IL

3, 4, and 5 I consider are tossups. What has been said about the Gophers taking three or four recruiting turns to be in contention is most likely true.

I am honestly hoping Jeff Brohm bolts to the SEC. He is plucked into the heart of SEC country in recruiting having coached at WKU. My honest assessment of him is that he is as good a coach you can find. His body of work in the pros, coming from a football family, and his coaching experience speaks for itself. IMHO, I rate him as a coach better than PJ Fleck in terms of X s& Os. In terms of Rah Rah Shish Poom Bah, PJ has that charisma.

But, don't count PJ Fleck out. He knows how to put a good coaching staff together, and is not afraid to change what isn't working.

I agree classes ranked in the 35-45 range are all the talent needed to develop/coach up to elevate Gophs into the 9+ regular season win total on a consistent basis. Gophs absolutely need to win to keep that momentum going, though.

Top Bottom