Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I like to look at both. Sometimes guys will be extremely talented, but will be lightly recruited for various reasons (character or academic issues, possibility of playing a different sport, committed early to dream school and other teams know they don't have a chance, etc.)

Yep, in that case stars would be a better indicator of talent than offers. Also offer lists aren't very current and a kid like Benny Sapp looks like a 5 star based solely on his offer list but those were before 2 ACL tears when he is probably more of a 3 star caliber talent as of today.

VV, Jeff Jones and others have shown us that nothing is guaranteed.

Of course it goes without saying that you have to talk the talk and walk the walk. If he is good and all things checked out - academics, background check, etc..., then he is worth taking a chance. Nothing is guaranteed no matter how good the player ratings is coming out of HS. You are going to run into a few Hayos and Andres by taking chances. But, you can also get a Maxx Williams or a David Cobb.

Both of these guys should have been ween out of warning signs. But, player evaluation is not a perfect world. Vicious Vic was like a Strawberry Short Cake tempting you from a window. His video showed his strong arm. Evaluation missed his ability to learn quickly or make quick decisions. Jeff Jones was a known project from the get go. They thought they could help him with his academics, but he was too far behind for any help.

I like to look at both. Sometimes guys will be extremely talented, but will be lightly recruited for various reasons (character or academic issues, possibility of playing a different sport, committed early to dream school and other teams know they don't have a chance, etc.)

I like to look at both and validate whichever measure makes our recruiting classes look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearing good things from my source on namdi.... canceling visits to top tier schools.

Two things:

-Tre Mosley to take an OV here next weekend
-Jirehl Brock gets an offer from Notre Dame

The ND offer from Brock is disappointing. Really hope he is a backup plan/not a recruit they push for hard.

King said that Tanner Morgan & Boye Mafe were his hosts & he loved getting to know them. Said he enjoyed meeting with coaches & getting to learn about the culture at Minnesota and that his parents were very impressed with the visit & facilities on campus. Said his most memorable thing on the visit was a boat cruise.

Jason Blisset was hosted by Boye Mafe as well and said that was great. Was very impressed with Coach Fleck & assistant coaches and said his parents really liked Minnesota. Loved the facilities and going to the Mall of America and Valley Fair. Said he thought about committing to Minnesota on the spot but that he will be taking the rest of his official visits, I believe he has Syracuse & UConn lined up but that Minnesota will definitely be in the mix.

I like to look at both and validate whichever measure makes our recruiting classes look better.

Having coached for over three decades, here’s what I have determined concerning recruiting. There is a very, very fine line between the athlete impressing the university enough to be offered and the university impressing the athlete enough to enroll. Big , big difference between three star and five star on this basis. Five star usually fall into the second, in that colleges and universities bend over backwards trying to entice the athlete. Two and three star athletes create their high lite tapes/cd hoping to secure an offer.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ap6wcjRyi8HoA" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/ap6wcjRyi8HoA">via GIPHY</a></p>

King said that Tanner Morgan & Boye Mafe were his hosts & he loved getting to know them. Said he enjoyed meeting with coaches & getting to learn about the culture at Minnesota and that his parents were very impressed with the visit & facilities on campus. Said his most memorable thing on the visit was a boat cruise.

Jason Blisset was hosted by Boye Mafe as well and said that was great. Was very impressed with Coach Fleck & assistant coaches and said his parents really liked Minnesota. Loved the facilities and going to the Mall of America and Valley Fair. Said he thought about committing to Minnesota on the spot but that he will be taking the rest of his official visits, I believe he has Syracuse & UConn lined up but that Minnesota will definitely be in the mix.

Boat cruise? OH oh

Any news from Brock?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is my math right in that Northwestern can potentially sign 32 recruits in 2019?

Brown is making camp impressions

Brown also drew heavy looks and attention from Minnesota on Monday night as the Gophers entire staff including head coach PJ Fleck.

"Minnesota was at the North Central College camp on Monday and I was able to get to work with all of the Minnesota coaches including Coach (PJ) Fleck. Coach Fleck was working with me one on one for a bit and he was really great to work with. Minnesota said that they are going to wait until all of it's camps are done before extending any offers at receiver. I hope that Minnesota decides to offer me and I really like Coach Fleck and the rest of the coaches at Minnesota."

https://illinois.rivals.com/news/brown-is-making-camp-impressions

Go Gophers!!

I count 47 scholarship seniors. That is an insane number. Someone check my count.

Is my math right in that Northwestern can potentially sign 32 recruits in 2019?

I'm pretty sure that teams can only sign a max of 25 and roll back 3 to the class before. Something along those lines. Not totally sure on those numbers but I am 99.9% sure that you can't sign as many spots as you have open if it's over that number.

Unless they're adding all of those through transfer additions and such but I'm pretty sure the 25 + 3 is the absolute max for HS and JUCO signees.

Does the coaching staff typically try to have a MN kid as a host? It would make sense as they are used to the area. Otherwise, I'd think that they'd try to have upperclassmen as hosts since they've been here for at least a couple of years. On the other hand.....they may trend towards the underclassmen as hosts since these are the guys that they'll likely be playing with.

Anyone have any insight on this?

I'm not going to get my hopes up. A legitimate Alabama offer? If Fleck can manage to snag this guy......

Alabama might not be our biggest competition. Hometown team, TCU, hasn't offered yet. Texas A&M is still pretty close. Who knows if a Longhorns offer would be tempting.

Boat cruise? OH oh

Was Culpepper or Smoot on board? They bring the dice and the double dildo?

I'm pretty sure that teams can only sign a max of 25 and roll back 3 to the class before. Something along those lines. Not totally sure on those numbers but I am 99.9% sure that you can't sign as many spots as you have open if it's over that number.

Unless they're adding all of those through transfer additions and such but I'm pretty sure the 25 + 3 is the absolute max for HS and JUCO signees.

Not counting the academies, a handful of schools have signed 30 in the last couple years including Mich. I was able to find a few articles stating it is up to 5...

I count 47 scholarship seniors. That is an insane number. Someone check my count.

I just noticed that when was a 247 web link. Something looks a bit off with that grid...5 freshman scholarship players?

Is their a legit, professional website tracking this stuff?

Top Bottom