Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I didn't see the interview, but it definitely would have been a lie if he was talking about the 2019 class, which I presume is why Spoofin brought it up.

I would love to see the interview.

Interview was on BTN during the spring game. Early 2nd quarter, IIRC. He was giving highlights and when he hit recruiting he said something like, “we have recruiting classes ranked in the top 25”. Not sure how you spin that as truthful.

The kicker is our recruiting has been great. Look at the results on the field. Why the need to embellish? Again, not the first time Coyle has done this. Combined with past efforts, I highly question his ethics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if we are currently ranked #16 in 2020 class coming in, were was the lie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you are on record of defending our AD on this. Noted.

So if we are currently ranked #16 in 2020 class coming in, were was the lie?

There wasn't one. The exact quote is "right now we have recruiting classes ranked in the top 25". Right now, 2020 is ranked 16. 2021 is ranked #3.

Interview was on BTN during the spring game. Early 2nd quarter, IIRC. He was giving highlights and when he hit recruiting he said something like, “we have recruiting classes ranked in the top 25”. Not sure how you spin that as truthful.

The kicker is our recruiting has been great. Look at the results on the field. Why the need to embellish? Again, not the first time Coyle has done this. Combined with past efforts, I highly question his ethics.

Try to get your facts right before we call someone a lier!

There wasn't one. The exact quote is "right now we have recruiting classes ranked in the top 25". Right now, 2020 is ranked 16. 2021 is ranked #3.

+1 — Both classes are off to great starts and look like they’ll continue what looks to be significant momentum should come out of this season!!

Try to get your facts right before we call someone a lier!

I went back and listened (12:00 min mark of 2nd quarter) and GWG is twisting this as he wants. His quote is technically right, but shortened and missing of context. The context of the conversation was how PJ has done in just 2 years - that was the question. MC said, “recruiting right now, we have recruiting classes ranked in the the top 25”.

Alchemy, I’m guessing you haven’t heard it yet so you may want to listen before taking your stand. The context, and where he paused, is important as well. The rest of his answer included Winning 4 of 5 games down the stretch <b>(also not true) </b>how PJ has changed the culture, how he has brought energy and urgency to our program, and how great they have been academically. All things about what he has already done/accomplished in 2-years. Just as he was asked. Again, context is important.

So, go listen and then tell me you disagree. Pretty clear to me what was meant. And, if he actually meant the 2020 class 10-months before signing day and the 2021 class 22-months before signing day, he is a bigger tool than I thought. Does he have no clue what-so-ever how recruiting works? I think it is quite the stretch to assume anyone talks in that context.

He lied. And he has said it before. If you want to stick your head in the sand on the “top 25 class” comment, how about the “winning 4 of 5” comment. Just an honest mistake?

I went back and listened (12:00 min mark of 2nd quarter) and GWG is twisting this as he wants. His quote is technically right, but shortened and missing of context. The context of the conversation was how PJ has done in just 2 years - that was the question. MC said, “recruiting right now, we have recruiting classes ranked in the the top 25”.

Alchemy, I’m guessing you haven’t heard it yet so you may want to listen before taking your stand. The context, and where he paused, is important as well. The rest of his answer included Winning 4 of 5 games down the stretch <b>(also not true) </b>how PJ has changed the culture, how he has brought energy and urgency to our program, and how great they have been academically. All things about what he has already done/accomplished in 2-years. Just as he was asked. Again, context is important.

So, go listen and then tell me you disagree. Pretty clear to me what was meant. And, if he actually meant the 2020 class 10-months before signing day and the 2021 class 22-months before signing day, he is a bigger tool than I thought. Does he have no clue what-so-ever how recruiting works? I think it is quite the stretch to assume anyone talks in that context.

He lied. And he has said it before. If you want to stick your head in the sand on the “top 25 class” comment, how about the “winning 4 of 5” comment. Just an honest mistake?

His quote is technically right, but....................

for the love of.................

So somehow missing one word at the beginning, "recruiting" changes what? Nothing. Coyle's quote is factually correct. But stay on your crusade of bringing nothing to this forum everyday.

So somehow missing one word at the beginning, "recruiting" changes what? Nothing. Coyle's quote is factually correct. But stay on your crusade of bringing nothing to this forum everyday.

Yes, because it changes where the pause was and removes context.

You know, with Coyle’s history of being a terrible communicator and disingenuous I probably shouldn’t be surprised if he was intentionally misleading. That is best case scenario. Hard for me to believe considering the context of the question and the rest of the answer.

Yes, because it changes where the pause was and removes context.

You know, with Coyle’s history of being a terrible communicator and disingenuous I probably shouldn’t be surprised if he was intentionally misleading. That is best case scenario. Hard for me to believe considering the context of the question and the rest of the answer.

No, it doesn't. It changes nothing. The statement is still correct, and you are still wrong.

You are really nitpicking and trying too hard to make it fit your narrative.

You are really nitpicking and trying too hard to make it fit your narrative.

What’s my narrative now? I have so many and multiple crusades so I can get confused.

Have you listened to the interview yet? If you do and still disagree, then I will accept that we interpret it different. At this point you are basing your opinion on wanting me to be wrong.

Coyle has a history along these lines. The question was clear and the context of his answers were to me too. In that one short response Coyle either a)lied twice; or b)lied once and was disingenuous / intentionally misleading in another instance. If interviewed yesterday would Molinari have referred to himself as a Master’s champion? Does Coyle not count the IL or the jNW game?

Nitpicking? I disagree. Exactly why wouldn’t everyone care about the honestly, integrity, and ethics of the U’s Athletics Director? I would like to have one that is respected at some point. Him going on National TV and assuming folks won’t notice or care about these things is offensive to me.

What’s my narrative now? I have so many and multiple crusades so I can get confused.

Have you listened to the interview yet? If you do and still disagree, then I will accept that we interpret it different. At this point you are basing your opinion on wanting me to be wrong.

Coyle has a history along these lines. The question was clear and the context of his answers were to me too. In that one short response Coyle either a)lied twice; or b)lied once and was disingenuous / intentionally misleading in another instance. If interviewed yesterday would Molinari have referred to himself as a Master’s champion? Does Coyle not count the IL or the jNW game?

Nitpicking? I disagree. Exactly why wouldn’t everyone care about the honestly, integrity, and ethics of the U’s Athletics Director? I would like to have one that is respected at some point. Him going on National TV and assuming folks won’t notice or care about these things is offensive to me.

The Twins are tough because they are playing in the snow. They cancel the next game. Well, that doesn't count, because it was on Friday.

Speaking of Nitpicking? You'd be the expert for sure.

Oh, and I wouldn't be too worried about Coyle going on national TV. It's a dam gopher scrimmage that maybe 10 people outside of Minnesota were watching. The ones watching probably have a pretty good grip on the gopher recruiting anyway. It was a gopher football practice, buddy!

Last edited:

As PJ goes so goes Coyle. They clearly feel a need to amplify things. If the numbers aren’t quite impressive enough on their own...PJ and now Coyle have fully embraced the if you can’t baffle them with brilliance baffle them with bullsheet...or fake it till you make it...

If he can keep winning maybe they won’t have to “accentuate the positives” so much but the bar will probably just keep rising

C’mon GWG- the claim for 2020 is disingenuous at best. The rank is purely a product of PJ being able to get off to a quick start as the average rating of our 8 commits, if it were to persist in our entire class would likely place us in the 50’s when all is said and done. Hopefully PJ and company will starts to attract some higher appraised and give our class a true top 25 ranking.

I have just rewatched the interview.

Ali asks “what do you like about the momentum that this program has right now?” Coyle responds with: “I think the great thing is winning 4 out of 5 games down the stretch is phenomenal. You know recruiting right now, we have recruiting classes that are ranked in the top 25. When we hired PJ....”

He should have said 4 out of 6 games. But it is obvious that he is talking about current recruiting classes, not the class that is already playing in the spring game. There is no way that he is intentionally lying or trying to mislead people. You are really stretching it.

If Coyle as truly referring to future classes being ranked in the top 25 with just a handful of kids so far, then he is a complete idiot and severely delusional. Comparable to Corey Conners briefly leading the Masters on Thursday, but in the end finishes about 50th after it is all said and done. What a joke for him to claim a top 25 class this early in the recruiting cycle.

If Coyle as truly referring to future classes being ranked in the top 25 with just a handful of kids so far, then he is a complete idiot and severely delusional. Comparable to Corey Conners briefly leading the Masters on Thursday, but in the end finishes about 50th after it is all said and done. What a joke for him to claim a top 25 class this early in the recruiting cycle.

What a joke for anyone to be bothered by it currently being a top 25 class right now.

Calm down about things like this, and your boyfriend will put out more for you. You sound like you need some badly.

Oh man why do we as a fan base get out of whack about accentuating the positive. With friends like this who needs enemies am I right?

Oh man why do we as a fan base get out of whack about accentuating the positive. With friends like this who needs enemies am I right?

There is so much momentum with the actual team and recruiting - I literally can’t understand why a few people are spending so much time looking for something to nitpick with - Unless they are really dedicated Badger fans attempting to sew discord on our forum. Only explanation I can logically comprehend.

There is so much momentum with the actual team and recruiting - I literally can’t understand why a few people are spending so much time looking for something to nitpick with - Unless they are really dedicated Badger fans attempting to sew discord on our forum. Only explanation I can logically comprehend.

Yeah I hope it’s that and not the Minnesota/Scandinavian personality defect.

I have just rewatched the interview.

Ali asks “what do you like about the momentum that this program has right now?” Coyle responds with: “I think the great thing is winning 4 out of 5 games down the stretch is phenomenal. You know recruiting right now, we have recruiting classes that are ranked in the top 25. When we hired PJ....”

He should have said 4 out of 6 games. But it is obvious that he is talking about current recruiting classes, not the class that is already playing in the spring game. There is no way that he is intentionally lying or trying to mislead people. You are really stretching it.

Agree to disagree. Your scenario makes it only mildly better. Nice of you to write off the 4 of 5 comment too. I appreciate you finally watching it after giving your opinion multiple times before doing so.

Explain to me why I shouldn’t care if our AD continues to show little care for honesty and integrity.

Explain to me why I shouldn’t care if our AD continues to show little care for honesty and integrity.

If you’re saying that purely based on wins comment yes. The recruiting class situation no as it is factual and undoubtedly he is trying to drum up business to get people following and caring for the gophers and their head coach as he (rather stupidly imo) decided to try stand on the idea that the expectation is top 25 (I don’t remember how he specifically stated it during his release of Tracy) classes in recruiting. So he’s trying to do that, and pay himself on the back for his hire. I don’t like Coyle much from a PR standpoint. I think he is a poor communicator. But his comments on the recruiting classes are not untrue/dishonest. Intentionally misleading, perhaps. But it is true even if it means nothing

Yeah I hope it’s that and not the Minnesota/Scandinavian personality defect.

The northern Great Plains is about as different from Scandinavia as you can get, other than cold.

I content that the bunch who left the mother land for the frozen prairie were just an exceptionally bitter group, who then got even more bitter when they realized they left beautiful mountains to come farm a desolate pancake.

The Gophers are always Top 25 this time of the year. So, in a way Coyle is not pulling a Pinocchio. Just saying.

IMHO, the Gophers need to be consistently recruiting an average composite ranking of about 86.0 or better.

But, we can't go by this alone. Trust PJ Fleck and company to find hidden gems like Rashod Bateman who initially was a Three-Star. He got him to commit early. Rashod shot up to a Four-Star ranking later long after he inked his Gopher tattoos. Mo Ibrahim was ranked a middling Three-Star at 0.8395.

Absolutely correct.

There likely won't be a time when this won't have to be our reality. Few programs can just sit back and let the 4/5 star kids come to them (or in other words, wait for their handlers to come to them with their bribe asks).

Top Bottom