Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Congrats MJ Anderson! You made a wise choice.

Are the Gophers done with this recruiting class at 23?

Well, I think there are enough candidates to transfer/leave that we could take up to 25...but only PJ and staff knows that right now. We currently sit ranked at 34th nationally. If we take one or two more we'll basically be sitting in the same place after early signing as we were last year (32nd or 33rd). I think the means we probably end in the low thirties but don't drop below 39th. If we don't sign anymore, I could see us ending in the low forties.

Not done until everyone signs. I am sure if someone doesn't sign PJ could still go after a late signee.

Well, I think there are enough candidates to transfer/leave that we could take up to 25...but only PJ and staff knows that right now. We currently sit ranked at 34th nationally. If we take one or two more we'll basically be sitting in the same place after early signing as we were last year (32nd or 33rd). I think the means we probably end in the low thirties but don't drop below 39th. If we don't sign anymore, I could see us ending in the low forties.

Wanna make a bet? :p

So that I stay on topic about Gopher commits, great that MJ decided to re-commit today. Nice pick up!

Last edited:

We hope if there are late signees and de-commitments that the Gophers get kids like Dunlap and Faalele as last minute additions.

I think we will see this with fleck a few more times. I think he gets recruits to commit earlier than they would normally and they then have second thoughts. After decommitting and looking around/getting it out of their system, it reaffirms their earlier choice. Not saying all decommits will turn out this way, but i think it might be the reason we've seen it happen twice now with fleck.

And if this is the case, should we really fault the recruit? If the Gophers are his first P5 offer, he gets wide eyed and commits, then suddenly other P5 offers start rolling in that weren’t there anymore.

Yeah I get that it pisses people off. They “shouldn’t” do it. But I also see them as 17/18 year old young men, who are being put under tremendous pressure to commit (and stay committed). So if they decommit, look around, and confirm Minn really is best, kudos to them. And if they decide another situation is better, Jen good luck to them.

Sure uncommon works as well. Just an unusual situation with him committing, then decommitting, not visiting any other school but the school he decomitted from, then committing again.

Hopefully we get an answer from him on this. I don't mind him coming back but it is very strange he didn't visit anywhere else. Like he decommitted and his offer was pulled from where he wanted to visit? PJ convinced him and his parents to come back? He fell in love again on the visit?

Hopefully we get an answer from him on this. I don't mind him coming back but it is very strange he didn't visit anywhere else. Like he decommitted and his offer was pulled from where he wanted to visit? PJ convinced him and his parents to come back? He fell in love again on the visit?

Why do you want an awnser on this.. the kid needed to think about his future... Moving along way from home for the first time... He doesn't owe you an awnser about ****

Note to self... Do NOT go to a message board when your pissed off at the wife... Sorry my post wasn't meant to be so poiniant and directed towards you. Caught up in the heat of an argument

Note to self... Do NOT go to a message board when your pissed off at the wife... Sorry my post wasn't meant to be so poiniant and directed towards you. Caught up in the heat of an argument

Well, based on my experience with these things, I'm sure you're wrong. Even if you're right.

;)

Good luck.

JTG

We’re currently at 23 commitments. Cooper and Udoibok will grayshirt, which puts us at 21. It sounds like Howden will receive a scholarship in January, so we have 2-3 spots remaining. It seems like we are targeting the best available players regardless of position at this stage, which is a great position to be in. Options are:

Houston
Hoofkin
Williams
Brown
Robinson

Houston doesn’t currently have any visits lined up for this weekend, which bodes well for us. I’d be shocked if we got Hoofkin out of Texas and he has an OV with them this weekend. Williams visits Mizzou this weekend and then apparently will choose between them, Indiana and the U. Brown visits ISU. Robinson visits Mizzou. If we could land even 2 of these recruits it would be a coup.

Exciting times as the finish line approaches.

We’re currently at 23 commitments. Cooper and Udoibok will grayshirt, which puts us at 21. It sounds like Howden will receive a scholarship in January, so we have 2-3 spots remaining. It seems like we are targeting the best available players regardless of position at this stage, which is a great position to be in. Options are:

Houston
Hoofkin
Williams
Brown
Robinson

Houston doesn’t currently have any visits lined up for this weekend, which bodes well for us. I’d be shocked if we got Hoofkin out of Texas and he has an OV with them this weekend. Williams visits Mizzou this weekend and then apparently will choose between them, Indiana and the U. Brown visits ISU. Robinson visits Mizzou. If we could land even 2 of these recruits it would be a coup.

Houston and Williams would make this class just as good as last years IMO

Robinson's decommit has been known for over a week, if not longer. He hasn't been listed as a commit since last week. I guess it was well known that he was out of the picture but he waited until now to announce.

Robinson's decommit has been known for over a week, if not longer. He hasn't been listed as a commit since last week. I guess it was well known that he was out of the picture but he waited until now to announce.

I wonder if we need another safety.

Wonder where he is going.

Rutgers, USF, Cincy, FIU.

Staying closer to home?

Houston
Hoofkin
Williams
Brown
Robinson

Your comments are certainly reasonable. With Williams also interested in in-state Memphis and the Volunteers, I don't like the Gophers' chances. The one I don't understand is Houston. He's a highly-rated WR with no other OV's that we know of, yet he didn't commit last weekend. Curious!

Reading the tea leaves, it seems like Houston is candidate to wait until the Feb 6 signing day.

Re: Howden getting a scholarship in January ... that must also be true of Zack Annexstad, right? Some have speculated that his brother's scholarship is just being "kept warm" for Zack, but maybe that was never true or maybe it's not true anymore. But regardless, I'm assuming ZA is getting one, even if he never starts another game here, for nothing else than bringing us Dunlap and Faalele.

Houston --- how can this guy have offers from Texas, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Notre Dame, etc. .... but not have an offer from Oklahoma??? He's from OKC. I don't get it. That's what 247 says, anyway. He is desperately waiting for an offer from OU? What else would he be waiting for? But then again, if he has all those offers and is that level of a recruit, why take a visit to Minneapolis on Dec 8th?

Hoofkin --- done, will commit to Texas this weekend, my wild guess. Took the free visit and free Murray's steaks. Hope he had a great time, and best of luck to him.

Williams --- came here two weekends ago, went to Indiana last weekend, going to Missouri this weekend. 247 also claims "warm" for Memphis (hometown) and Tennessee. I think we're still in it, would be a great get. But memory of his visit can fade fast when taking visits elsewhere. Probably comes down to playing time potential?

Robinson --- no more visits and we were the last. Probably a tough decision for him. Stay home at Michigan, but maybe be lost in the shuffle, go to Missouri play in the SEC and have the least number of DE currently on roster, or come to a program on the rise farther away in Minnesota. I think we're still in it, again, but will be interesting if Missouri gets both these guys.

Brown --- between us, visited last weekend, and Iowa State visits this weekend. Both programs on the rise, but Iowa State is ahead of us now in that dept unfortunately. Both great young coaches too. Do you want to live in Minneapolis, or Ames, Iowa?? 50/50

As was said, if we can get even two of these guys, would be great.

Personally, I care less what the overall rank of this recruiting class is and care more about getting the right kids in the right spots. The 2018 class provided us the foundation for the now and for the next few years but still has a few pieces missing. Fill in those spots with right 2019 guys and we have a recipe for some real success next season and beyond. Adding some depth this year will be great, but we're well on our way with what we're getting in this 2019 group regardless of overall rankings.

Top Bottom