Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I imagine only if we give it to Zack...Like others speculated when the scholarship was given, it might be to lighten the burden on the Annexstad family, so I imagine one way or another that scholarship is accounted for. But I agree on the WR transferring, we have a lot that don't play, So I imagine there'll be some transfers from that group.

I agree with that and don't think they should, just speculation

Lol this is actually it. But for the others, it’s where a recruit instead of arriving with the other 19 recruits sit out a semester and by doing so can be counted toward the 2020 class. It’s a loophole Alabama has made famous.

I think the loophole Bama was exploiting was closed with the 25/85 rule a few years ago. You still can assign to previous or future class but any class can't exceed 25 and total can't exceed 85.

I'd expect some of our WR's that don't play to seek transfer

I wonder if we pull the scholarship for Annexstad's brother.

I would advocate that he should have it based on his Flow in and of itself. Awesome head of hair on that gentleman.

I'd expect some of our WR's that don't play to seek transfer

I wonder if we pull the scholarship for Annexstad's brother.

I wouldn't expect that. I feel that most kids that transfer from Minnesota do so for reasons other than playing time, usually it's the typical wanting to be closer to home. I feel like playing time is a reason used more by guys like Kelly Bryant for example, guys that see themselves as NFL talents.

I agree with that and don't think they should, just speculation

No offense, but I'm not sure why this would even be speculated on? Fleck just awarded him the scholarship in the spring, and I'm pretty sure he had a good idea of where he was on the depth chart.

No offense, but I'm not sure why this would even be speculated on? Fleck just awarded him the scholarship in the spring, and I'm pretty sure he had a good idea of where he was on the depth chart.

Even the most brilliant people are capable of stupid speculation.

I wouldn't expect that. I feel that most kids that transfer from Minnesota do so for reasons other than playing time, usually it's the typical wanting to be closer to home. I feel like playing time is a reason used more by guys like Kelly Bryant for example, guys that see themselves as NFL talents.

If we take a full class, some people will need to transfer

I have 0 insight who that will be, just taking wild guesses

Why?

Obviously walk-ons can earn a scholarship. The only question is how long does a player need to be a walk-on until they can? I thought someone posted it was either after 1 or 2 years.

I swear I heard Fleck say either in the spring or summer that Brock will be on scholarship until they can award Zack his scholarship.

If we take a full class, some people will need to transfer

I have 0 insight who that will be, just taking wild guesses

There are much more obvious candidates. I listed some of them in another thread and was accused of running them off the team.

Is this because you can't give a PWO a scholarship until junior year? I think I remember hearing or reading that somewhere but I'm certainly not positive of that. Thanks

A PWO can be awarded a scholarship 12 months after enrolling. Which is why ZA will be awarded one in January.

There is no way they are not going to award Zack Annexstad a scholarship next season. IMHO, He PWO'd so that there is room for either Dunlap or Faalele.

I think the loophole Bama was exploiting was closed with the 25/85 rule a few years ago. You still can assign to previous or future class but any class can't exceed 25 and total can't exceed 85.

I meant more the loophole of taking a 2019 recruit and assigning them to the 2020 class as you pointed out. Bama did it as recently as a couple years ago I believe with Jarez Parks rather famously.

What is a maroon shirt?

Cooper and Udoibok are grayshirts.

Maroon shirt is just what we call it call. I think it's also been called a Blue shirt by other schools. They will be a walk on for 2019 then be added on scholarship starting in 2020. Reasoning for this is that they don't count against the 25 player hard cap against any class, only against the total number of scholarships allowed. I think Zack Annexstad is going to fall into this boat when he gets added on to scholarship after next semester.

Maroon shirt is just what we call it call.

Who's "we"?

I think it's also been called a Blue shirt by other schools. They will be a walk on for 2019 then be added on scholarship starting in 2020. Reasoning for this is that they don't count against the 25 player hard cap against any class, only against the total number of scholarships allowed. I think Zack Annexstad is going to fall into this boat when he gets added on to scholarship after next semester.

That's not what a blueshirt is. A blueshirt is for unrecruited athletes who are put on scholarship right after fall practice starts in their freshman year. They are allowed to practice, but not play, for that first full year. It allows you to get them in and practicing for a full year, and not use up a year of eligibility, while still being able to put their initial counter number (cap of 25) toward the following year's recruits. Unrecruited in this case is defined as no home or other off-campus visit from any University personnel including coaching staff, no official visit by the athlete, no forms of athletic aid (prior to being placed on scholarship), and no NLI signed.

Annexstad doesn't really fit into any of the "shirt" buckets. The closest would be greenshirt (early enrollee), but that doesn't really apply because he wasn't and isn't on scholarship.

Who's "we"?

That's not what a blueshirt is. A blueshirt is for unrecruited athletes who are put on scholarship right after fall practice starts in their freshman year. They are allowed to practice, but not play, for that first full year. It allows you to get them in and practicing for a full year, and not use up a year of eligibility, while still being able to put their initial counter number (cap of 25) toward the following year's recruits. Unrecruited in this case is defined as no home or other off-campus visit from any University personnel including coaching staff, no official visit by the athlete, no forms of athletic aid (prior to being placed on scholarship), and no NLI signed.

Annexstad doesn't really fit into any of the "shirt" buckets. The closest would be greenshirt (early enrollee), but that doesn't really apply because he wasn't and isn't on scholarship.

15.5.6.3.5 Aid First Awarded After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

Here is how Cooper and Udoibok are being recruited. "We" as in the U of MN staff call it a maroon shirt offer other schools may have different names. After some research it isn't called a blue shirt and what you described is a blue shirt but not what Cooper and Udoibok are being offered. It's a relatively new change to this rule just this year. Annexstad would definitely be in this bucket as he was an early enrollee and will have been enrolled for an entire academic year starting with the next semester.

Link for those who care: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf pg 218

Edit: It's Cooper not Moore

Last edited:

15.5.6.3.5 Aid First Awarded After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18)

Here is how Cooper and Udoibok are being recruited. "We" as in the U of MN staff call it a maroon shirt offer other schools may have different names. After some research it isn't called a blue shirt and what you described is a blue shirt but not what Cooper and Udoibok are being offered. It's a relatively new change to this rule just this year. Annexstad would definitely be in this bucket as he was an early enrollee and will have been enrolled for an entire academic year starting with the next semester.

Link for those who care: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf pg 218

Edit: It's Cooper not Moore

I thought Cooper and Udoibok were greyshirting, meaning they wouldn't be participating with the team until 2020.

Let's keep this thread to recruiting and start a separate thread for the grayshirt process...

Thanks. Not the first or last time I'll be wrong.

They can get one, but I think ZA will get one a year from January. If you're a PWO and you receive a scholarship in your first two years, it counts against the 25 scholarship cap. If ZA is on the team for two full years, he will not count like an incoming student.

I would bet Brock gets a scholarship next season. ZA gets one next January.

Let's keep this thread to recruiting and start a separate thread for the grayshirt process...

It's actually very applicable to our situation though currently as I don't think a lot totally understand Cooper and Udoibok's commitment status and how it relates to how many commits we have and how many spots we have open.

They can get one, but I think ZA will get one a year from January. If you're a PWO and you receive a scholarship in your first two years, it counts against the 25 scholarship cap. If ZA is on the team for two full years, he will not count like an incoming student.

I would bet Brock gets a scholarship next season. ZA gets one next January.

Brock received his earlier THIS season. There was a whole "tattoo reveal" theme. Zach will get his this January (2019).

Yeah, we wouldn't want to talk about 2019 recruiting in the 2019 recruiting thread.

Im sure most would say 3 consecutive pages of talk on grayshirts is probably not what this thread was meant for, but im sure you will tell me how im wrong.....

Brock received his earlier THIS season. There was a whole "tattoo reveal" theme. Zach will get his this January (2019).

I understand that Brock is on scholarship for this year.

I just am not sure ZA will get on scholarship in January 2019. If he is on scholarship on 2019, he counts against our total number of scholarships THIS season. It would mean that we could sign 1 less player this year.

However, if he is on campus for two years (January 2020), his scholarship will NOT count against the yearly accumulation.

Im sure most would say 3 consecutive pages of talk on grayshirts is probably not what this thread was meant for, but im sure you will tell me how im wrong.....

You're wrong, but anyhow, regardless of color of shirt, I think Udoibok and Cooper will not count towards this class.

All I will say is their is a boatload of talent visiting here on 12/7. That is talent that is not committed.

Top Bottom