Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I'm skeptical on this. His other offers are MAC at best. Why aren't we pushing for CJ Boone or Rashee Rice? According to the article/him 'we want him bad'. He's also coming off of an injury and claims to be drawing interest from several other P5's. Is he a steal or a last resort?

I'm skeptical on this. His other offers are MAC at best. Why aren't we pushing for CJ Boone or Rashee Rice? According to the article/him 'we want him bad'. He's also coming off of an injury and claims to be drawing interest from several other P5's. Is he a steal or a last resort?
He was at a satellite camp the Gophers had in Ohio so Fleck, Simon, and the rest of the staff all saw him live and offered soon after. Could be a similar situation to Bateman when we offered him after a camp last year and were one of his first offers and then he broke out during his senior season and had offers from everybody.

His offers are Killesque, but he’s been blowing up on the camp circuit. It sounds like we really want him as a 2nd WR, and then we can still take Boone or Rice as a 3rd.

Skeptical of what? Who says we aren't pushing for Boone and Rice?

His offers are Killesque, but he’s been blowing up on the camp circuit. It sounds like we really want him as a 2nd WR, and then we can still take Boone or Rice as a 3rd.

When Kill would offer these unheralded recruits early in the process, they almost always seemed to work out well. It just seemed like the guys he saw at a camp and really liked, despite current offer sheets, ended up hitting way more often than busting (Eric Murray types). I have no reason to not think the same about Fleck.

If Fleck and Simon saw this kid at a camp and were blown away. That works for me.

These are different types of "unheralded" signings than the ones close to NSD. Those ones feel like we missed on other people.

When Kill would offer these unheralded recruits early in the process, they almost always seemed to work out well. It just seemed like the guys he saw at a camp and really liked, despite current offer sheets, ended up hitting way more often than busting (Eric Murray types). I have no reason to not think the same about Fleck.

If Fleck and Simon saw this kid at a camp and were blown away. That works for me.

These are different types of "unheralded" signings than the ones close to NSD. Those ones feel like we missed on other people.

Exactly, there's no way this kid is a last resort with signing day 6 months away still. Looks worthy of an offer based off film I saw. He doesn't have the typical NFL wr size or elite speed to make up for that, but he looks pretty polished. Highlight films never tell you one of the most important things about WRs, that thing being how well can they catch the ball? I'll trust Fleck's evaluations, especially for the WR position maybe above all others due to his history.

I'll trust Fleck's evaluations, especially for the WR position maybe above all others due to his history.

Exactly this. I trust Fleck when it comes to WRs. Rodney smith at media Day was asked besides himself who is he excited about on offense and he said Chris Bell and Bateman both of which were the under the radar recruits at this time in the process.

Exactly, there's no way this kid is a last resort with signing day 6 months away still. Looks worthy of an offer based off film I saw. He doesn't have the typical NFL wr size or elite speed to make up for that, but he looks pretty polished. Highlight films never tell you one of the most important things about WRs, that thing being how well can they catch the ball? I'll trust Fleck's evaluations, especially for the WR position maybe above all others due to his history.

I pulled this off YouTube. He looks raw, but does have some real flashes of talent. One thing that's interesting, if this were a game situation, the defenders would have been penalized several times for holding. I like his short-game which is what I'm sure they're planning for:

Purely speculating here: perhaps it's because they were head coaches in the MAC, before this.

I feel like the MAC you have to try to feast (or famine) on the same type of recruits, guys who fly under the P5 radar but you catch their eye early on with an offer.

If it was Kill offering a guy like this I would suspect they had plans to switch him to defense.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Wow, stacked at DT ...

Wonder if some guys would eventually either transfer or maybe even switch to OG/OC?

Wow, stacked at DT ...

Wonder if some guys would eventually either transfer or maybe even switch to OG/OC?
No were not, we have alot of names, but little proven talent. That's like saying we are stacked at WR

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I expect Michael brown Stephens to commit this weekend. Do we think he’s under the radar guy and underrated?? Or we just really need another receiver for class?

I expect Michael brown Stephens to commit this weekend. Do we think he’s under the radar guy and underrated?? Or we just really need another receiver for class?

"Raw talent" - a code word for something. Didn't they gloat about Rashad Still's raw talent? You never know. It could be he is another Rashod Bateman who blew up the stats in his final HS season before getting noticed.

In all fairness, they didn't develop the WRs in the Jerry Kill Era like they are trying to do now.

Seven on seven is one thing. I'd wait until he plays this Fall. PJ Fleck must have seen something in him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=chLN72LtvUQ

"Raw talent" - a code word for something. Didn't they gloat about Rashad Still's raw talent? You never know. It could be he is another Rashod Bateman who blew up the stats in his final HS season before getting noticed.

In all fairness, they didn't develop the WRs in the Jerry Kill Era like they are trying to do now.

Seven on seven is one thing. I'd wait until he plays this Fall. PJ Fleck must have seen something in him.

The "they" you are referencing is different now than it was during the Kill period, (unless if you meant Sid Hartman).

What makes you think he is a "raw talent"? He seems pretty skilled to me, nice quickness. Could be a really good slot wr, we don't have a lot of guys on roster that fit that role really well.

It's July and we have a pretty full class, I'd guess our coaching staff genuinely thinks he will be good. We are absolutely not in desperation mode at the WR position (in terms of needing numbers).

So, I'd guess Simon and PJ really like the kid after watching him play, call me crazy, but that seems like a good reason to offer him.

He does a lot of after-TD showboating and he runs East/West a lot, but he has some good cut moves. Looks like a slot receiver at best.

He does a lot of after-TD showboating and he runs East/West a lot, but he has some good cut moves. Looks like a slot receiver at best.
Perfect. I hope we see a lot of after TD showboating from him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd trust Fleck's assessment on WR's. He had a stud at WMU in Davis....and he used to be a WR himself....so I'm guessing that he knows what to look for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great!

From what I understand, he's similar to the former Arizona Cardinal WR, Rob Moore.

Top Bottom