Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

to be fair, the Gophers' ranking could change IF they sign one or more players in February - which Fleck seems to think is possible or even likely.

but, to DP's point, the final ranking is the one that ultimately counts. You can't proclaim the game over after the 3rd quarter - although the Timberwolves would like to.

Last edited:

They were removed because they are not getting a scholarship, which since we have 3 left to work with doesn't make sense. Either those two are scholarship worthy to start or they are not in which case they become a PWO. It's a loophole I know, but not a good one.

Makes sense to me, there’s still several months left to add players.

They were removed because they are not getting a scholarship, which since we have 3 left to work with doesn't make sense. Either those two are scholarship worthy to start or they are not in which case they become a PWO. It's a loophole I know, but not a good one.

There are so many loopholes and coaches tap dancing around 25, that nothing makes sense anymore.

I had been reading the whole time that they were gray shirting. Who knows what they really are now. Maybe a Turquoise Shirt, or maybe a Magenta Shirt. Hard to tell without a magnifying glass.

There are so many loopholes and coaches tap dancing around 25, that nothing makes sense anymore.

I had been reading the whole time that they were gray shirting. Who knows what they really are now. Maybe a Turquoise Shirt, or maybe a Magenta Shirt. Hard to tell without a magnifying glass.

Of course the coaches are going to "tap dance" around the 25. They want to best utilize their scholarships in the most efficient way possible.

My understanding is those two will count towards 2020's 25 limit and the 85 limit when the scholarship is awarded, which I assume will be Jan. 2020. It is hard to know how, when, and what changes with these rules. Even trying to navigate through the NCAA site is a challenge.

Been stated that 13 of the 23 signings will be here in January. That's amazing. Seems like its been 2 or 3 guys in the past.

Believe these are the 13 players

Solomon Brown
Rashad Cheney
Jacob Clark
Kelvin Clemmons
JJ Guedet
Cole Kramer
Trey Potts
Logan Richter
Keonte Schad
Brady Weeks
Jason Williamson
Mike Brown-Stephens
Peter Udoibok

Been stated that 13 of the 23 signings will be here in January. That's amazing. Seems like its been 2 or 3 guys in the past.

Believe these are the 13 players

Solomon Brown
Rashad Cheney
Jacob Clark
Kelvin Clemmons
JJ Guedet
Cole Kramer
Trey Potts
Logan Richter
Keonte Schad
Brady Weeks
Jason Williamson
Mike Brown-Stephens
Peter Udoibok

Agree. I think with the earlier signing period this is a trend we'll see continue across the country. In year's past a large number of recruits were still deciding where to go.

Agree. I think with the earlier signing period this is a trend we'll see continue across the country. In year's past a large number of recruits were still deciding where to go.

I think we only had 7 last year.

I think we only had 7 last year.

I know. It was the first early signing period, and 7 was considerably more than the past. Now recruits are more aware of the option to enroll early, and they will make sure their grad. requirements are in order so mid-year enrollment can happen.

I believe it'll be more of a standard practice.

I know. It was the first early signing period, and 7 was considerably more than the past. Now recruits are more aware of the option to enroll early, and they will make sure their grad. requirements are in order so mid-year enrollment can happen.

I believe it'll be more of a standard practice.

I know, I was agreeing with you.

Is this going to be the upcoming trend players enrolling early? You have to think it is a win-win situation.

The players get the extra semester to adjust to college life and then they get to be part of the Spring practices. They have the summer to be ahead in academics and the weight room.

I like the fact that both QBs and other key signees are coming in early. Lots of good competition. The Spring Scrimmage is getting very interesting.

I thought we had 23 who signed the NLI plus Kristian Williams waiting until February. It looks like 21 that counted against 2019, plus 2 that are I don't know what to think classify them as.

So, how exactly does maroon shirt (whatever color) work? Peter Udoibok and Tyler Cooper are listed as Verbal Commits on Rivals and PWOs (Favorites). They are doing lots of fuzzy rithmetics lately.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

https://minnesota.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

The current 21 players listed on 247 are scholarship guys. Udoibok and Cooper are walking on with the gentleman's agreement that they will go on scholarship next year. That way they don't count towards the 25 max for the current class. They will count towards the 85 next year once they go on scholarship. This is a recent rule change. I think before you had to wait 2 full years to give them a scholarship, otherwise if you did before that then they backcounted towards the 25 class max.

The current 21 players listed on 247 are scholarship guys. Udoibok and Cooper are walking on with the gentleman's agreement that they will go on scholarship next year. That way they don't count towards the 25 max for the current class. They will count towards the 85 next year once they go on scholarship. This is a recent rule change. I think before you had to wait 2 full years to give them a scholarship, otherwise if you did before that then they backcounted towards the 25 class max.

So many different stories on how scholorships work, I'm tired of it. I'm just going to let the staff figure it out. Meanwhile I'll just sit and pregame for next wed

So many different stories on how scholorships work, I'm tired of it. I'm just going to let the staff figure it out. Meanwhile I'll just sit and pregame for next wed

From what I understand WLoT is right. It was rule change passed in June of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This class will finish in the 40's. J. Kill range. Book it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This class will finish in the 40's. J. Kill range. Book it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Must be fun to cheer against "your program" in hopes of being right on a message board! Happy holidays!

I don't care so much if the Gophers are in the low forties or high thirties. I am pretty pleased with the kids they have signed for the 2019 Class. Getting Kristian Williams or any of the Four-Star options between now as the February NSD will be icing on the cake.

Beating Purdue and Wisconsin was pretty important as far as recruiting is concerned. The Badger Rout is the story of the year for the Gophers.

Take it one step at a time. Next year, they win more games and the caliber of recruits will go up a few notches too.

Last edited:

I don't care so much if the Gophers are in the low forties or high thirties. I am pretty pleased with the kids they have signed for the 2019 Class. Getting Kristian Williams or any of the Four-Star options between now as the February NSD will be icing on the cake.

Beating Purdue and Wisconsin was pretty important as far as recruiting is concerned. The Badger Rout is the story of the year for the Gophers.

Take it one step at a time. Next year, if they win more games the caliber of recruits will go up a few notches too.

Refresh my memory. Do you have to win more games to get better recruits, or do you have to get better recruits to win more games? I've seen both notions presented on this board at various times.

Refresh my memory. Do you have to win more games to get better recruits, or do you have to get better recruits to win more games? I've seen both notions presented on this board at various times.

You can take it backwards or forwards. You pick.

Depends on the day and whatever argument the folks that think PJ Fleck walks on water and every single thing he does is the bestestest ever! say.

We are getting better recruits. So is our competition. We're dropping relative to the other teams in the Big Ten west. Doesn't mean we didn't sign better players. Does mean we're losing the recruiting wars in the Big Ten. Fleck was hired to win them.

Depends on the day and whatever argument the folks that think PJ Fleck walks on water and every single thing he does is the bestestest ever! say.

We are getting better recruits. So is our competition. We're dropping relative to the other teams in the Big Ten west. Doesn't mean we didn't sign better players. Does mean we're losing the recruiting wars in the Big Ten. Fleck was hired to win them.

Oh, you keep trying.

To answer the question, it appears you improve your recruiting a bit, your team performs a bit better, you go back and recruit, hopefully a little better, then you hopefully coach better and have a better team the following year, then you go back and recruit for spots you need improvement, that recruiting class likely won't be as good as the last two due to numbers, then you try to improve the players you have, and coach better, and win more games. Then you go back and hopefully recruit better than you did before, and if you don't you hope to develop your players better, and coach better, so you win more, so you can recruit better, or recruiter guys that might not appear to be better that you can develop better.

If for the sake of arguments sake, you want a magic pill as caliGopher wants, you'll never be successful.
In the internet era, coaches have never come in and improved recruiting classes from bottom of the big ten and improved it 12 spots in one or two years.

Oh, you keep trying.

To answer the question, it appears you improve your recruiting a bit, your team performs a bit better, you go back and recruit, hopefully a little better, then you hopefully coach better and have a better team the following year, then you go back and recruit for spots you need improvement, that recruiting class likely won't be as good as the last two due to numbers, then you try to improve the players you have, and coach better, and win more games. Then you go back and hopefully recruit better than you did before, and if you don't you hope to develop your players better, and coach better, so you win more, so you can recruit better, or recruiter guys that might not appear to be better that you can develop better.

If for the sake of arguments sake, you want a magic pill as caliGopher wants, you'll never be successful.
In the internet era, coaches have never come in and improved recruiting classes from bottom of the big ten and improved it 12 spots in one or two years.
Those are facts, it's a long road. Very long!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How many times did Jerry Kill or any recent Gopher coach win recruiting battles with Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc? Oh that's right....

Nebraska is the only team in the west that landed better classes than the gophers both years, we out recruited Iowa and NW both years. Fleck is winning plenty of recruiting wars.

Top Bottom