Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will be home the Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sophmore Mitchell Stanchina, Northfield saw him play a few times this year. Has fantastic speed and good size for his age group. Boy in a man's body type of kid. This kid would make an excellent receiver with sure hands. Kid needs to go to a clinic with Claeys.

Good to see an early offer, gotta get out in front these days.

Quinn has an older brother that goes to the U now along with his dad who played here and retweets a lot of gopher stuff so we should have the inside track. Also has an older brother who was the long snapper at Virginia Tech with Tyrod Taylor, a brother who played at UNI and a brother who played baseball at Augustana.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4652353/5827b0d53bd8144cfc16eafb' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quinn has an older brother that goes to the U now along with his dad who played here and retweets a lot of gopher stuff so we should have the inside track. Also has an older brother who was the long snapper at Virginia Tech with Tyrod Taylor, a brother who played at UNI and a brother who played baseball at Augustana.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4652353/5827b0d53bd8144cfc16eafb" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I love the way he plays through the whistle and puts opponents on the ground!

I love the way he plays through the whistle and puts opponents on the ground!

Yep. If you look back at the sophomore films of guys like Kegel, Schlueter, Andries, Carlberg etc. they all physically dominated their competition at a young age but none of them played at the level Quinn plays at in class 6A. Seeing a sophomore dominate and manhandle guys from EP, Wayzeta, Tonka, Maple Grove etc. is completely different from doing it against single, double or 4A teams and I don't think I've ever seen a sophomore lineman dominate that conference/district the way Quinn did this season.

Carroll needs to be a priority for this staff. He played varsity as a freshman and when I saw him this fall for the "Blackstripe" ceremony, his frame looked totally different. He was much leaner but added weight and looks like he could easily carry a lot more as he grows.

I didn't watch the Hudl film on Carroll, but I'm guessing they didn't show any footage of him against Jermaine Johnson (Eden Prairie) on passing plays. Johnson is no slouch, rated as a 3 star and I think Phelps is on him. I watched that match up for most of the game, and Carroll abused Johnson on most running plays, but couldn't get his hands on Johnson when he went around the edge on passing plays. Not a warning sign in any way, he was only a sophomore and he'll continue to improve and work, but it was a tale of 2 styles.

Yep. If you look back at the sophomore films of guys like Kegel, Schlueter, Andries, Carlberg etc. they all physically dominated their competition at a young age but none of them played at the level Quinn plays at in class 6A. Seeing a sophomore dominate and manhandle guys from EP, Wayzeta, Tonka, Maple Grove etc. is completely different from doing it against single, double or 4A teams and I don't think I've ever seen a sophomore lineman dominate that conference/district the way Quinn did this season.

Not to discount your point, because competition matters, but man that is what makes all these films also hard to read.

Even high school has such varying skill levels it's hard to tell how a guy will do when he hits more solid competition. Some guys who look crazy dominant just can't deal with a steeper slope where some guy from ass backwards nowhere who basically played against tackling dummies somehow explode physically and end up really good.

I watch these videos and just ... I duno.

Why hasn't he committed yet?

IJnxZ3w.gif

Carroll needs to be a priority for this staff. He played varsity as a freshman and when I saw him this fall for the "Blackstripe" ceremony, his frame looked totally different. He was much leaner but added weight and looks like he could easily carry a lot more as he grows.

I didn't watch the Hudl film on Carroll, but I'm guessing they didn't show any footage of him against Jermaine Johnson (Eden Prairie) on passing plays. Johnson is no slouch, rated as a 3 star and I think Phelps is on him. I watched that match up for most of the game, and Carroll abused Johnson on most running plays, but couldn't get his hands on Johnson when he went around the edge on passing plays. Not a warning sign in any way, he was only a sophomore and he'll continue to improve and work, but it was a tale of 2 styles.

Jermaine Johnson certainly has height (6'4") & speed (4.61 40) you'd like to see in a WDE. He doesn't have a Gophers offer yet. At a minimum, he'd be an excellent PWO. He's a local kid that may be an excellent S&C developmental player. Possibly a Plan B scholie player after Hopkins player Boye Mafe?

Jermaine Johnson:
[video]http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3048437/5721cb82b019261f80ccc52a[/video]

Boye Mafe:
[video]http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4228608/5721d01764e96b63801b4045[/video]

Also named Team Captain for 2017 season.

Also named Team Captain for 2017 season.

You sound like a proud dad. Good luck to him, I hope he gets to Gopher camps and proves himself.

I checked and Jashon Cornell and Jeff Jones didn't start to receive their first offers until the spring of their sophomore year and Carter didn't get any until the summer between his junior and . Quinn already has 6 P5 offers.

Top Bottom