Official 2019 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Interesting that Oregon has flipped 2 Minnesota commits in this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully we land Owens.

A 3 for 3 Juco first team all american at a position of need would be a very nice consolation for losing out on Williams.

Ranked 10th in Big Ten 2019 recruiting. Clearly the Gophers are not exceeding any expectations. Are they even meeting them now? This is not any different than most years regardless of who was coach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You are right.
No need for your to watch unless you believe PJ can coach them up, and he's not an X's or O's guy.

Might need to find a different team to cheer for.

Interesting that Oregon has flipped 2 Minnesota commits in this cycle.

He hasn't committed to Oregon. And, technically, we rescinded our offer to Camden Lewis before he had a chance to flip to Oregon.

I'm going to allow myself a glimmer of hope for NSD. I've said consistently from last summer that the player I want the Gophers to sign is Darwin Barlow. I realize that he is still committed to TCU. However, he is now shown as no interest for USC and FSU. I realize that it's a long shot; but Minnesota and Arkansas are the only schools which are still "cool". I wouldn't continue to mention Barlow if I didn't think that he is special.

I'm going to allow myself a glimmer of hope for NSD. I've said consistently from last summer that the player I want the Gophers to sign is Darwin Barlow. I realize that he is still committed to TCU. However, he is now shown as no interest for USC and FSU. I realize that it's a long shot; but Minnesota and Arkansas are the only schools which are still "cool". I wouldn't continue to mention Barlow if I didn't think that he is special.

He’s definitely a special talent. TCU folk seem to think he’s all in on them though after his visit there recently. Unless he has a total change of heart, gotta imagine he sticks in Texas. Running Back should be a priority in the 2020 class...there’s some really solid workhorses in that group but missing a real homerun hitter like a Barlow or Brock.

Ranked 10th in Big Ten 2019 recruiting. Clearly the Gophers are not exceeding any expectations. Are they even meeting them now? This is not any different than most years regardless of who was coach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ya, 10th in the Big Ten is a bit of a dampener, as is #43 overall. If we win 8 games or more each season...I really don't think I care where we rank in recruiting. I'd one million per cent rather win 8 plus games than rank top 25 in recruiting.
The only head shaker is Coyle emphasizing the reason PJ was hired is to elevate recruiting rankings. PJ's Third class is pretty much the neighborhood where we were annually prior to his hiring. You gotta split hairs to document much improvement.
I get the kicker, snapper, do lower the rank. The transfers hopefully increase our roster talent but aren't counted in rankings. So, silly for Coyle to worry about recruiting rankings. Winning games is the standard we need to elevate. And for that...it appears PJ is making progress.

247 team rankings the last 10 years:
2019-43
2018-38
2017-59
2016-46
2015-63
2014-57
2013-67
2012-59
2011-57
2010-52

If you don't see improvement, you're not looking too hard.

2019-43
2018-38
2017-59
2016-46
2015-63
2014-57
2013-67
2012-59
2011-57
2010-52

Those rankings are obviously meaningless because they don't compare the right subset of teams to create a proper narrative.
Your sample size is simply too large for it to be a correct sample.

Please compare only to teams who wear maroon, gold, or anthracite. Only then will we know if we are really improving. Until proven otherwise, I'll say we aren't improving.

Those rankings are obviously meaningless because they don't compare the right subset of teams to create a proper narrative.
Your sample size is simply too large for it to be a correct sample.

Please compare only to teams who wear maroon, gold, or anthracite. Only then will we know if we are really improving. Until proven otherwise, I'll say we aren't improving.

Right - nothing proves your point more than misrepresenting someone else’s.

Seems pretty close to me. Classes in the thirties and forties vs fifties and sixties.

He said "the last couple of classes." The 2016 class was 46th, and this year's class is 43rd. The last time I checked, that's not 20 spots.

We still got time for this process to work out. I believe in Fleck.

He said "the last couple of classes." The 2016 class was 46th, and this year's class is 43rd. The last time I checked, that's not 20 spots.

I respect Kill/Claeys for building us to the point they got us (I also happen to think that an 8-4 record was the limit on a 4 year average record was going to be with the way they did business, which is certainly respectable, but not as good as I believe we’re going to be with Fleck)... But are we really going to pretend Coughlin didn’t recruit most of that class?

He said the last couple classes have been a 20 spot increase, he didn’t say anything about specific years it was an increase from. You latched on to the one year that didn’t make sense just to dispute him.

2019-43
2018-38
2017-59
2016-46
2015-63
2014-57
2013-67
2012-59
2011-57
2010-52

I definitely see improvement. The big question is that since the other teams in the Big Ten have also improved, have we improved enough to leap them in wins and losses. I do see we are at 10th right now which is better than the 11th/12th we were hovering at for a while.

I definitely see improvement. The big question is that since the other teams in the Big Ten have also improved, have we improved enough to leap them in wins and losses. I do see we are at 10th right now which is better than the 11th/12th we were hovering at for a while.

For the answer to that, either go and read one of the numerous threads that argue over how important recruiting rankings are to on-the-field results, and pick a side.
Or
Wait and see.

Those are the best two options I can give you to try and answer your question.

I also happen to think that an 8-4 record was the limit on a 4 year average record was going to be with the way they did business, which is certainly respectable, but not as good as I believe we’re going to be with Fleck

Well, that’s kinda the whole debate. I hope you’re right!

I respect Kill/Claeys for building us to the point they got us (I also happen to think that an 8-4 record was the limit on a 4 year average record was going to be with the way they did business, which is certainly respectable, but not as good as I believe we’re going to be with Fleck)... But are we really going to pretend Coughlin didn’t recruit most of that class?

And who recruited Coughlin?

I believe CC was big in getting them together after all had signed. Not sure how much influence he had on them signing with the Gophers as:
Barber was a lock regardless of Coughlins decision to sign here. Green was in Texas at the time.
Martin and Howard maybe to some extent. TJ wasn't offered by many and definitely made the correct choice over Iowa, Iowa St and Wisc.
DrewH, Sam S, Connor O were all from outside the Metro area.
The rest of that class were not from MN at all. Doubt he had any influence on all of those guys deciding to come here either.
So your most of the class statement doesn't fly as of those other 8 from MN he maybe influenced 3 out of a class of 21. That is not most.
But it was a great class and there are some solid contributors still in the program.
Interesting to see D. Greene was the lowest rated recruit in that year and now he's got a combine invite.

Coyle will still claim that it is a top 25 class because there was a week in July where we were ranked 24th or something

I respect Kill/Claeys for building us to the point they got us (I also happen to think that an 8-4 record was the limit on a 4 year average record was going to be with the way they did business, which is certainly respectable, but not as good as I believe we’re going to be with Fleck)... <b>But are we really going to pretend Coughlin didn’t recruit most of that class?</b>

Please don’t go down that road. Why must we always diminish the previous coach’s accomplishments to feel better about the current? The “CC recruited them” and the “got lucky with a good MN crop” and the “Kill got them, not Claeys” arguments are tiring at best. Claeys gets credit for every player just as PJ (not ZA) does for every player last year - including Dunlap and Big Dan

Coyle will still claim that it is a top 25 class because there was a week in July where we were ranked 24th or something

I haven't heard any comments from Ryan Burns lately about the Gophers' "Top 35" class this year. Weird.

But ... Fleck not getting the national ranking up into the 30’s isn’t necessarily a failure anyway. Wins are what matters.

Exactly! It comes down to coaching and what you can do with the players you recruit. Mark Richt had top 5 and 10 classes practically every year at Georgia and seriously underperformed those recruiting rankings. We have to hope that PJ can outperform his early recruiting rankings. If he does, and I think he will and is, our recruiting rankings which some freak out about will get better.

It is all about the coaching however at this point and I like what I see.

Why not ask the question about Annexstad recruiting the IMG kids? smh
c'mon...kids in both classes are here; thus, it doesn't matter how.

Top Bottom